icon

radio on until door open

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
travis2122 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  

radio on until door open -- posted image.

I used this diagram to make the setup to keep my deck on until the door opened.  When I installed it, it only half worked.  The door trigger did indeed cut power to the deck, however the deck did not retain power with ignition off at all.  I thought at first maybe the const 12v wire wasn't giving it power, but obviously it was since i just tapped into the battery wire for my deck, which worked, and the door trigger wouldn't have broken the ground for the deck if the wire wasn't good.  So my question is, why wasn't it keeping power when the ignition was turned off?

~~~Travis H.~~~
travis2122 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  

Well nevermind, I guess I did get the results I should have expected with that diagram.  It is not truly radio on until door open, because it turns the radio off when the door opens, even if the ignition is on.  I noticed this is because there is nothing to stop the door trigger from breaking the ground at any time.  Thus I should have used this diagram....

This diagram adds a third relay(on the right) that will not allow the door trigger to break ground when the ignition is on.  I guess the diodes are only necessary if you want the isolate the radio from the rest of the circuit, such that only the radio would retain power.

~~~Travis H.~~~
travis2122 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
However I still have not solved why the deck fails to retain power with the ignition off prior to the door opening.
~~~Travis H.~~~
travis2122 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
well nm, I've got this working now
~~~Travis H.~~~
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
I did the same thing on my car, it worked the first time, it wont turn off with the ignition off, only when the key is off and you open the door it will shut off
3000sl95 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
hey i'm just wondering how that diagram with the three relays works. it looks liek theres nothing providing power to the radio when the ignition is off. and if there was, wouldn't it just turn the radio back on after the door was closed?
travis2122 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
when the accessory is turned on, the coil on the left is energized, thus connecting 30 and 87 on that relay, feeding that const 12v into the radio accessory wire.  make sure u know what direction those diodes allow current to flow through, they allow current to flow from the side without the stripe TOWARDS the side with the stripe, sounds like that might be where ur confused.  those diodes keep the radio accessory wire isolated from the rest of the accessory circuit, this also creates the need for that third relay to keep the door opening from turning it off with the ignition on.  but anyhow, once the door trigger breaks that ground, that first relay is no longer energized and that const 12v is no longer able to feed back into the radio accessory wire by way of 30-87, so when you close the door again, it will not turn back on cuz that accessory wire isn't being fed by that const 12v anymore.  does that help ya any?  I recommend if ur gonna do this to use the two relay diagram at the top of this post, it doesn't need diodes, works fine, it just doesn't isolate the radio, like on my car i noticed i can still use my windshield wipers lol, anyhow, there ya have it, right?
~~~Travis H.~~~
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

there - now you have it... if the ignition is on, it will get power to the stereo reguardless of whether the door is open or not (just from a different source) - also this isolates the acc input from the 12v constant.  once the ignition is shut off, this circut still provides power assuming the ignition isn't shut off while the door is already open, in which case it will just shut off normally.  you almost had it to begin with.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys.  I installed this "radio on until door open" in my car with three relays.  It works as it's supposed to, but I get a loud turn off "pop" in the speakers now.  Have you guys experienced this before?  It drives me nuts, too, since I installed suppression diodes across the coils of the relays.  I sourced power and accessory from the ignition harness, and the ground is independent from all other components.  What drives me nuts is that my brother's Caddy comes factory with this feature, and he has no pop.  The only other possible solution I see is to install a capacitor in parallel with the radio across the accessory and ground wires to prevent this?  Does anyone know if this might work?  If so, what size/rating cap would I need, or would this even work?
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  
well, though it involves adding yet another relay to the mix, a more consistant solution might be to add a relay that is tied to the relay that provides power for the stereo currently, but that relay itself has a small cap on it to make it stay on around 2 seconds longer than the relay it's tied to.   i know, what point will that serve right?  well, what you can do is, run your amps turn on wire thru the relay that your stereo is hooked to now for power - and use the relay with the 2 second delay for your stereo and other stuff.  what that will do for you is, it will shut off the amp 2 seconds before the rest of your equipment.  that should knock out the pop problem and since it doesn't use a cap tied to the stereo, it will always provide the same amount of delay time no matter if you're using the cd player, or just listening to the radio, or have the volume set to infinity or zero.  not only that, but - if you use a cap across the relay like you suggested, it might work ok, but - it will always be tied one lead to the battery, one lead to the stereo accessory wire - which means that should you leave your car off for more than a couple of days, the caps bleedoff can concieveably drain your battery. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic