icon

What to use when tapping into wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quadracr 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I've never been a big fan of scotch lock connectors.  Are they really dependable?  If they aren't, how do the pros attach the power wires to the ignition harness?  Same question for the input and output wires.

Thanks

daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
with all the wires, catch them in the ignition harness, or where applicable. then twist the wires around each other and make sure you saughter them.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
yes, always open a bare spot on the wire you attaching to,,,about half inch, and evenly twist the wire around the wire your tapping on to,,,then solder ythe connection,,don't just coat it,,,make shure it sinks and and give the wire a tug to be shure,,,,the wrap the wires with electrical tape, i usually double it up on the ignition harness wires.
HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

scotch loks are one of the most dangerous things I've ever seen in a 12 volt shop.  they cut into the wire being contacted, often severing several strands in the process.  Plus, all the current is being passed across a single little tang of metal, rather than wrapped/soldered strands of wire.

Agree with the guys above...bare back a section on each wire to tap into, wrap your wire solidly on the bared spot, and heat the whole works to allow solder to penetrate both.  This guarantees a flawless, electrically sound installation.

Scotch Loks should be reserved for throwing at other idiots who choose to use them, and nothing more  What to use when tapping into wires -- posted image.

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
i used to use the 3m scotchlok(its sux) but now i use the 3m "t-tap" is quicker and safe(if you know how to use it right). the scotchlok seems to cut stranded wires.
its not safe when youre using a 14guage tap on a 10guage wire. i never use t-tap on ignition harness, thats a big risk.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
HamiltonAudio wrote:

Scotch Loks should be reserved for throwing at other idiots who choose to use them, and nothing more  What to use when tapping into wires -- posted image.

I like that, now I have something to do with the Scoth Locks, that have been lying around for almost 4 years without being used.  :)

2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
twist and tape!! also solder everything. also remember the bigger the glob the better the job. just kidding! dont use too much solder it just increases resistance, but make sure the solder sinks through. tin the wire on the car and the wire on the unit.
HamiltonAudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

misterjimbo wrote:
twist and tape!! also solder everything. also remember the bigger the glob the better the job. just kidding! dont use too much solder it just increases resistance, but make sure the solder sinks through. tin the wire on the car and the wire on the unit.

he he...bigger the glob...nothing can be further from the truth (as you state What to use when tapping into wires -- posted image. )  If you heat both wires in the connection to the appropriate level, 60/40 rosin core solder will "suck itself" into the wires, bonding them..  Anything left on the surface of the wires is not only waste, but ugly ...

b

HamiltonAudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

profuse007 wrote:
i used to use the 3m scotchlok(its sux) but now i use the 3m "t-tap" is quicker and safe(if you know how to use it right). the scotchlok seems to cut stranded wires.
its not safe when youre using a 14guage tap on a 10guage wire. i never use t-tap on ignition harness, thats a big risk.

I can agree to the statement "to each his own".  However, I'm sure that at any competent installation school where you were demonstrating technique, reaching for a scotch lok or t-tap before the soldering iron would get you a resounding "F".  I know during my education (learn by fire, in the shop) that if I even thought the word "scotch lok" I got whacked with a stick.  I'd likely have been fired if I tried to actually use one!  What to use when tapping into wires -- posted image.

b

atomsite 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone use fusion tape instead of black electrical tape? My experience is that electrical tape deteriorates over time. In general I don't like it.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic