icon

Building enclosure for two JL10WOs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rukuzz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
I have two JL10WOs hooked up to a sony xm2150gsx bridged at around 300w. I have two sealed boxes with dimensions: W=18", H=14", bottom depth=7.5", top depth=3". I just don't feel these boxes do the subs any justice.
I went to JL website and they recommend 0.50-0.90 cu.ft. With dimensions of 18x 11 x 10.25. http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/10_12_15W0_MAN.pdf
I ran the Subwoofer DIY v1.1 and came up with 1.10 cu.ft. with a desired QTC of 0.71. @1.10 I plan to build a box 13.75 x 14 x 14. Which will save me about 8" from my current setup. Of course I will have deeper boxes but that is not as big an issue. I think I can fit 14" depth wise.
Driver Specifications     
Driver      JL 10W0
Vas     69.400
Qts     0.394
Qes     0.413
fs     25.6
Xmax     8.60
Dia.     23.20
PEMax     125
My question is should I go with the 1.10 as calculated by the model or go with what JL recommends?
FYI: I have this setup on a Toyota Tundra AccessCab and the current boxes are taking up 36" accross the back seat. I would like to shrink that as much as possible for more hip room for a person to sit back there.
dcgc 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think it is so much of your box as I do the amp
2003 Silverado Ext. cab
Kenwood mp922
Kenwood kgc6042a EQ
JL Audio xr650-csi
MB Quart PSC 213
JL Audio 300/4
pair of JL Audio 12w6v2
JL Audio 1000/1
Rukuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
Oh don't get me wrong dcgc. The sound is good and I'm happy with it. It bumps as hard as I would want it too. I would just like to get more hip room in the back and the proper dimensions on the boxes because, of the differences from what JL recommends and the model. I just want to build something that is efficient an save me more space than my current setup.
As far as the amp. I know it's no JL, PPI, or RF. Unfortunately, I'm on a tight budget. It's a good little amp for the price and I've had no major problems, knock on wood, other than air venting in the two+ years I've had it. I had it locked up on the under the seat rear compartment with the lid on and i think I wasn't getting good air. It was sounding a little off but I took both lids from under the back seat put a little fan an A-OK. Other than that it hits the notes right where I want it. I had originally gotten a db drive POS that the local audio store recommended (they're pushing this brand pretty hard) and it wouldn't even go on and when it did it didn't even bump as hard as my sony. So, I don't think it's the amp.
Again I want to save some space but give the amps the cu.ft. to be at optimum efficiency. The last thing I want to to is build a box and have it sound worse than my current setup.    
Besides that I'm saving my $$$ to replace all stock speakers and 2-tweets to go along with an RF amp. I'm thinking JL XR650CSi up front and XR650cw in the back.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
JL puts a good amount of research into their recommended enclosure designs. Personally I would use .90 as the enclosure volume, it will give you a little less spl then if you wire to go smaller, but the sq will be better. Are your subs the 4 or 8 ohm model? Also how do you have them wired to the amp (series or parallel and is it bridged)? And how are all the x-overs and gain on your amp set at? And what head unit are you using and what are the x-overs set at? I would also double check to make sure your subs are in phase with one another.
Rukuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
bberman1,
my subs are 8ohm each wired in series/2-channel bridged for a 4ohm load. If I remember correctly, and this is because I haven't messed with it much since I set it, the gain is set at half. The crossovers I don't remember and the HU is the stock Toyota HU. I tapped to the rear speakers for line-level input to the amp.
How do I make sure the subs are in phase?
Thanks for the info.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Your problem is most likely that you have your subs wired in series. That presents the amp with a 16 ohm load bridged, which means its not putting out very much power. Wire your subs in parallel http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2svcp for a 4 ohm load and then bridge them to your amp. This will increase your amps power output to 380 X1 @ 4 ohms bridged. Also check your Xover settings and post them.

Rukuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
bberman1,
Sorry, I do have mine in parallel. The guys at the local audio store said the output would be more like 300. I haven't had a chance to check the settings but what are the recommneded settings?
Thanks
Rukuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
I think I'll follow your advice bberman1 and go with JL's numbers. My dimensions will probably be 13.75 x 12.75 x 12.75 for a volume of 0.8972. That's as close to the recommended 0.90 from JL. This should save me about 8 inches in hip room. Thanks for your help bberman1. All I have to do is figure out if the xover settings are correct. Any advice?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Rukuzz, out of phase leads to a loss of bass response, you need to ensure that both subs are going the same direction at the same time. It will not hurt the subs to be out of phase, just the noted loss of output. Disconnect the speakers from the amp, take a small battery and connect the - spk lead to the neg terminal on the battery, touch the + spk lead to the + terminal on the battery, this will cause the subs to "jump". If the subs are going in different directions when you do this, you have inadvertently connected a positive speaker lead to a negative speaker lead in your parallel connection. Start with your crossover around the 100hz area, play some tunes and adjust it up or down as your ears see fit, you will notice that as you turn that crossover up or down, the response will seem to either have a little more detail to it as you get lower or get a little "boomy" as you turn the crossover up. Your vehicle and your music you play and the level you play it at will have a lot to do with the crossover point, experiment with it, it may take a little while to nail it down.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Rukuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys for all your help! Building enclosure for two JL10WOs? -- posted image. I'll start building today after work and finish and test tomorrow. I'll fine tune the system and tell you if there are any improvements in the sound of the boxes. By the way where can I get the carpet to cover the boxes and what is the going price? Would I have to go to an audio store?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic