icon

circuit breaker box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

I want to make a custom circuit breaker box. I found the breakers at parts express that I want to use I am trying to be able to tap power with out haveing to tap fuses all the time thats such a pain in the rear. I want a box like your home runs on I figured that I could run a large gauge power wire to the box but I want to have at least half of the ten or twenty breakers on ignition not constant how do I set that up?

Thanks

don't fowl the track
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
What devices do you wish to interrupt in the vehicle for this breaker box?
Just so you know, and understand, depending upon where you interface the power from, and where it is coming out.
Be prepared to have very large current surges to occure, and equipment failures in the future.
Just something to consider.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Overcranked23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
this box will be for aftermarket accesorrys like lights and anything else I want to tap power for like snowplow and hydros and heavy truck equp. I plan to tap off of the battery for the breaker power we do you think that there will be power surges?
don't fowl the track
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
If you do it by the battery that is fine.. If you attempted to *interrupt / restore* power after the battery down stream with out the use of a relay.
There will be a spark / spike of current. Normally when you interrupt a circuit you are turning on-off the ground lead to what ever device.
Switching to ground, does not incure a surge / spike. Interrupting a live +12 volt power source, which presents a high CCA from the battery to *a* circuit previously grounded will send a spike / surge.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Overcranked23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

ok thanks for the advice but can you answer the orginal question of how do I wire the ign side of the breaker box I think that it would use a  relay comming off the fuse box as a switch But I am a relay virgin if you could exxplain this it would be great thnks

circuit breaker box -- posted image.

don't fowl the track
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry I dont follow your Q. As I understand your intent.
It is to use this *breaker style box* to act like a multi-on-off switch for some high current devices.
You will cut off what ever +12 volt input supply you wish to feed the circuit(s)
From there, you will use the multiple outputs coming off of the breaker box, to feed the accessories you wish to have control over.
Your intent and idea in theory is OK. But in real life applications, it can, and will cause damage to ANY IC or computer related device, which you wish to turn on-off . . .
Electrical flow starts from (-) negative to positive, which creates the flow of current / voltage. In your arrangement, the flow of power is already turned on.
You are interrupting that flow while it is *LIVE / ENERGISED* and IF that flow of current is allowed to feed the components that cannot handle sudden surges / spikes, the unit(s) will fail...
Sooner, than later . . . There is no harm in doing what you intend. But realize that there is a negative consequence for doing so, as I have explained here.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Overcranked23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

I understand what you are saying but the Idea that I am trying to represent is in fact just a fuse box for the use of accesorys but instead of using fuses (that blow and need replacing while your on the job and you need to go to the nearest store that sells them in the middle of the biggest noreastteren in years and in the mean time your lose 3 jobs to other plowers) you just flip the breakers Not using the breakers as the switch but as a fuseable link and switching where is needed else where in the vehcile...

I hope that somes up the point I was trying to make..

so if that is in fact ow you understood it why does fuse box cause these electrial spikes in current or are they hooked up differently? if so how?

Thanks

don't fowl the track
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Overcranked23 wrote:
Instead of using fuses (that blow and need replacing while your on the job and you need to go to the nearest store that sells them in the middle of the biggest noreastteren in years and in the mean time your lose 3 jobs to other plowers) you just flip the breakers.
I understand your intent. What I am simply stating to you is that there are other ways of doing this, in a more secure manner.
Overcranked23 wrote:
Not using the breakers as the switch but as a fuseable link and switching where is needed else where in the vehcile...
What I am trying to get across to you, or anyone. Is the most basic thing & princple. For anyone who is considering doing this.
A fuse is there simply to protect a circuit against a over current situation, and to protect the components to which it is attached to.
The most common sense thing for any technician is to find out *WHY* the fuse blew. Not simply replacing the fuse, which every retard does without so much thought as to the WHY?
They go on their marry way and, sure enough the fuse blows again, and the cycle continues, and the idiot still at this point doesnt even consider that there is a reason the fuse blew.
THERE IS A ELECTRICAL FAULT, IN THE CIRCUIT !!!
Overcranked23 wrote:
why does fuse box cause these electrial spikes in current or are they hooked up differently?
It matters not if this circuit breaker is in your house, or in a building. Once the breaker is tripped, and again re-set the surge of power is there.
It is up to the home owner to have shunted / protected his computer, stereo, TV from the turn on of power.
That is why when there is a storm, or where there is a black out. You should unplug all the devices you wish to protect from being damage. It is just now in the last 5 years that the average Joe Schmoe is actually using UPS, and surge suppression devices in the home.
Your last Q was why??? I have explained to you the why, and that is the simple fact that you are cutting on-off the actual LIVE current that is running through the circuit.
You are not starting and stopping the flow of current, you are simply interrupting the flow of current.
ie. You have a garden hose, and you yell to your GF...
YOU = *BABY, turn that sucker full blast!!!* circuit breaker box -- posted image.
HER = *NO problem babe* circuit breaker box -- posted image.
The flow of water is running full blast now. Then for kicks your GF twists the hose / crimps it.
The water pressure drops, and soon there is no water flow...
You run over to the end of the hose and stick your face in the end of it, while at the same time she lets it rip wide open !!!
You are instantly soaked, and drenched . . .circuit breaker box -- posted image.
The pressure was always there, simply impeded for the duration she held the hose.
Whereas if she simply turned the hose at the start and stop, the pressure of water would have built up gradually, and consistently.
The action of her turning the tap handle is the same as you connecting the (-) negative lead to a circuit.
It is the begining of the current flow process, and the stop.
The End . . .
EVIL Teken . . .
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  

I have never really seen the purpose of circuit breakers in car audio except in high power systems. If the fuse blows (which it really shouldnt) then either you have a short or you are just drawing too much, both of which require more than just poping a new fuse in. If you dont have a short then use the next fuse size higher. Fuses are there to protect the wire nothing more, they are not to protect the amp they are to protect the wire in case of a short circuit.

Other than that you can buy circuit breakers made for car audio that may serve your purpose well.

Overcranked23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

OK I think that you Teken are not getting this

ITS A FUSE BOX instead of fuses I am using breakers

Just like in a house breakers instead of fuses  (for the most part

What the heck is the difference I am not going to use the breaker as a switch just a place to get power from.... How is this different than a fuse box that you pull power from???

and if you could answer the question of how to set up some of the breakers as switch power that would really be help full and if I blow my car up I will tell you and everone else that I blew my car up you where right and I was wrong

And its not the end till I say so....... 

don't fowl the track
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic