icon

Add-on remote start to existing alarm problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, the saga continues:  (You can just read this post...I re-capped the others into this one).

BOTTOMLINE:

I have a Civic with an aftermarket Checkmate alarm (see the link above for the schematics).
I added a Bulldog Remote Starter (RS-82) to the alarm's 3rd channel.

PROBLEM:

If you remotely start the car, the alarm goes off...SO
you have to disarm the car first, and then remotely start it (then it locks).  The
problem with that is when you walk up to the car, you have to use the key to open the door because
it's already running (which I guess disables the keyless entry).

WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO:

I'm trying to be able to remotely start the car, and then be able to walk up to it and use the keyless entry.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I called Checkmate and he said my remote starter either needs an input AND output,

or it needs a sensor bypass wire.  I told him I have neither.  (The wiring schematic
for the remote starter is also in the previous post). 

Now that I look at the remote start diagram, I see that there's a FASD wire, which I'm

assuming is an output wire.  Is there a way to hook up the FASD wire to the shock sensor
in the alarm (maybe with a relay), so when I remotely start it and it's running, the alarm won't go off.
And then when I walk up to it, shouldn't I be able to use the keyless entry to "disarm/unlock"
the car.  Then, when I get in and hit the brake, the Remote Start will deactivate?

Hmmmm, wishful thinking, but could this work?

THANKS!

omega 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

I think that FASD wire stands for Factory Alarm System Disarm and if that is the case, no that wouldn't really allow you to disable the shock sensor...

The two main problems you have are the fact that the Checkmate alarm stupidly does not allow the keyless entry features to work when the ignition is on (most alarms will still allow keyless entry function, but will not arm or disarm the alarm with the ignition on).  Then again most alarms will also go off if the ignition is turned on with the alarm armed, thereby also requiring an alarm control circuit anyhow.

The second problem is that the Bulldog starter does not have a sensor loop or "bypass" with which to bypass the shock sensor so therefore the alarm either goes off or chirps during remote start.

Really the remote starter model you buy should have both "Alarm Control" (Ignition Wire control to the alarm) and sensor bypass.  I do realise that you've already bought the Bulldog but it doesn't have the necessary features to use the alarm and remote starter together properly...

The ignition control wire should output ignition voltage from the remote starter to the alarm whenever it "sees" ignition voltage on the ignition wire EXCEPT when it, itself is powering the ignition wire.  The sensor loop should simply cut either the positive or negative power supply to the sensor during remote start and connect it other wise.

If you can make a few relay circuits to do those two functions you will be in business, otherwise you won't.

For these types of connections I can only think that you would have to energise a relay to break contact when the remote starter is on (x2  because you need one for the IGN and the other for the sensor loop).  However there doesn't SEEM to be any wires that the remote starter would output voltage on that would not also be live when the key is turned normally as the wires are run in parallel.  This would not prove a problem for the sensor bypass as you would never need the sensor to be active when the car is on but it would prove to be ineffective on the ignition wire because whenever you started the car by the key it would also break continuity on the alarm's ignition input wire...

The only think I can imagine off the top of my head would be to diode isolate the ignition wire on the remote starter with a special application diode made for a fairly large amount of current that way you could have the relay bypass for the alarm's ignition wire wired before the diode and therefore the normal key cylinder use of the ignition would not trip the relay as well.  I don't know if you could find such a diode and if it would be even a good idea to do that...

As for the starter kill you are correct in that you should connect the crank wire to the engine/starter side of that relay that way the starter kill will not inhibit the remote starter from cranking the engine.

In the end you might have to buy another remote starter module--if you would even want to after the $$$ already spent and the headaches you've had with it I don't know.

If you were willing to get a different module, however, I would recommend the Design Tech Model 20022 Add-On module as it has all the necessary features to integrate a remote starter into an alarm system.  The Omega RS-4LX is also available and it is the exact same module as the DT 20022.  There are also others that would do the same, probally like the ones from Direceted, but I'm not sure about those.

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Wow omega, thanks for the reply. I have to digest it
a bit before I can respond...I'm still learning:)
It's funny because in a way, I think I would almost
rather just go and get another remote starter that
will act normal and go with the alarm.
Do you have sites for Omega and Design Tech? I kept
getting sites that sell them, and not their site. (Well,
if you know a good site that sells them, too, that would
be cool. I think the bulldog one was like $45 or so).
Thanks again, I'll reply more specifically tomorrow:)
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, my replyAdd-on remote start to existing alarm problems - Page 2 -- posted image.

I think that FASD wire stands for Factory Alarm System Disarm and if that is the case, no that wouldn't really allow you to disable the shock sensor...

The way the tech on the phone was talking, it sounded like I could use the FASD wire (since it puts out a (-) output), and use a relay to disable
the shock sensor when starting and while remotely running.  That sounded odd to me...I wasn't sure that could be done.

The ignition control wire should output ignition voltage...

I'm a little confused about what this wire does.  When remotely starterd, will the remote starter wire
trick the alarm into thinking it's not running?  And so the car stays armed, and then you can still use
the keyless entry?

So I need alarm control and sensor bypass.  I was checking out the DesignTech 20022, how do you know that has

these two functions?  Just curious where you found that because the website doesn't really have much info on it (specifics).

Can you recommend a good site for the Omega and the DesignTech remote starters?  They run about $80?...is that right?

Thanks again!

omega 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Hmm...  With regards to the FASD wire, most factory disarms I know of output a negative (-) PULSE on that wire when the remote starter kicks in.  However if it outputs a CONTINUOUS ground (negative) when the remote starter is active, you CAN use that wire.  Check and see if it is only a pulse or if it gives constant ground...

As for the websites...  Design-Tech International:  www.designtech-intl.com

Omega:  www.caralarm.com

As for the ignition control wire--you got it.  That is exactly what it does.  It "tricks" the alarm into thinking the car is NOT on when it is being remote started.  That way a few different things happen. 

1.  The alarm will not trigger (for those alarms that trigger with ignition while armed) and;

2.  For your case the keyless entry will still work and;

3.  If someone opens the door without disarming the system (i.e. break in) the alarm will still go off.

BTW:  I know the DT AutoCommand 20022 has those features because I own one! :)  The retail on it is $100 US available directly from Design Tech, however it can be found cheaper than that.  SOMETIMES you will find one on eBay for pretty cheap ($20-$50), but only now and again.  As for the Omega RS-4LX I know it is the exact same thing because all the wires are the same and they look identical except for the case colour (the Omega is red coloured).

If you can't find an add on module for a good price with those features (or get yours to work) the other option is to buy a complete alarm remote starter combo system.

For example the CrimeStopper CS-2011RSII is available on eBay for like $80 US or so and it is a complete alarm/keyless entry/remote start solution.  The advantage of such a system is that you don't have to worry about all the interfacing business--just connect all the wires and it works on it's own.

Also note that I'm not really endorsing brands or anything, just giving some examples.  There are others you can find on eBay and other online sites all the time in and around that price range, sometimes even less.

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2002 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks again.  I'll definitely check out if the FASD sends out a pulse or constant ground.

(Hopefully constant, but I doubt it.)

I've been checking out that Design Tech and Omega versions, too.  Not too many that I could

find on Ebay at the moment.  I found that PepBoys sells DT, but I haven't been there yet.
I guess when you hear a brand that you've never heard of before (even if it has been around
for a while) you automatically thing it's not that good...or at least I did).  But I guess
DT is pretty good if you have it, huh?

I also saw the DEI 522T on ebay.  It sounds pretty good, but I'm not sure if it will do what

I want (Ign control and sensor bypass).  I downloaded the install and owner's manual to check,
but I'm still not sure.

Thanks again for the help...lemme know if you got more info:)

Thanks!

omega 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2002 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

Never heard of DesignTech?  Really?  They pretty much invented the modern-day remote starter for automobiles as they were among the first (if not the first) to offer a remote starter for a vehicle. 

Also Design Tech has really good customer support for END-USERS (regular people) whereas many other companies won't provide that much support (if any at all) as they claim their systems should be installed at authourised installers.  (It is a good idea to get things installed by a pro, but what about if you want to do it yourself and are capable and just need a few pointers?  Also I've seen a lot of "pro" installs that were more like "ghetto" by my standards.)

I'll check on the DEI model (since the manual is on the website) and see if I can determine anything from it.  Also did you download the Owner's Manual or the Install Manual?  The install manual will have the info.  Anyhow, I'll check it out for you too...

omega 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2002 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, just checked on the DEI.  I assume you meant the 552T as opposed to the 522T (I didn't see a 522T listed there)...

Anyhow, the 552T does feature both an additional negative output for "status" (on whenever the remote start is active) and also a negative 3rd Ignition output (negative because it is meant to drive a relay not directly power an ignition circuit).

Either/both of these wires could be used with relays to run a sensor bypass and alarm ignition input control circuit.  However you would again be using relays for these functions. 

Also of note that the DEI 552T is actually a complete keyless entry and remote starter system (no alarm though), but it can be activated using an AUX channel on a separate alarm.  The DEI 551T is the almost the same model except that it does not come with transmitters and is meant solely for the purpose of remote starting via a host alarm with AUX output.  The 551T also features a direct alarm control circuit that connects to the host alarm without using relays.

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2002 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, that's what I meant, the 522t (I was dyslexic for a minute there).
Yea, I saw that it had the keyless entry, too. I don't
really need that (as you mentioned). Plus, I guess I'd
be better off with a system that I don't need to hook
up 2 relays to in order to make this work. Just
an add-on (like the DT or Omega that you mentioned)
are probably more up my alley.
Ok, still looking....
Thanks again!
omega 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2002 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

Hey cpgoose, you might want to check out this auction on eBay I ran across...

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=1375119365

It is an Omega RS-6.  This one doesn't have as many features and isn't as advanced as the RS-4LX but it does have two bypass circuits for shock sensors etc.  They are normally closed and open only when the remote start is active.

They are meant to be used for the pre-warn and full trigger on the shock sensor but you SHOULD be able to interrupt the ground wire to the sensor instead, thereby defeating the sensor altoghether during remote start.  Then you could use the other bypass for the ignition wire to the alarm that way when it was active the alarm would still  think the ignition were off.  I THINK that would work.  Anyhow just came across it and thought I'd point it out.  Hopefully you'll see this and check it out!

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic