icon

Navigator w/Premium Sound, No Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gatorguy 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

I recently added a new Head unit to my navigator with the Harness for Premium Sound I purchased from Best Buy. I have all the plugs but the sub isnt working and frankly the other speakers dont sound that great either. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening or if you had the same problem how did you fix it?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Lincoln premium (or "audiophile") systems require the factory head unit for the OEM subs (and center channel if you have it) to function.  There is an 8-pin connector on the back of the factory HU that contains the sub line level signals and power for the sub amp.  There is no adapter for this connector.  The only way to activate the OEM subs is to cut the connector, get the wiring diagram, and build your own jumpers to the sub outputs on your new HU.  Or install an aftermarket sub.  The reason the factory door speakers now sound bad is they are super-cheap drivers rated at 4 watts and your new HU is probably over-driving them.  You will need to upgrade your speakers.  Your Navigator uses 5X7 speakers.
gatorguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

So what your saying is the 3 pc harness I gto from Best Buy wont do the job. You dont happen to know the wiring config to do this do you? Or would I be better off just taking it in and letting the installers mess with it?

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  

Unless it was released very recently and I just don't know about it yet, there is no adapter for the sub connector.  I am very familiar with Lincolns - indeed one of my specialtys is the Lincoln LS sound system, and the Navigator uses the same hardware.  Does one of the pieces you bought have an 8-pin square connector on one end and RCA's on the other?

If you take the truck to a good custom install shop, they can probably get the wiring diagram and fabricate a way that you can use the OEM sub.  Best Buy will most likely NOT be able to handle the job.

gatorguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

NO one end does NOT have the RCA's we have a shop here called Cars and Stereo's I think this may be a better job for them, thats ALL they do.

I dont have problem replacing door speakers, but I am not ready to tackle replacing subs etc, at least not until this one takes a crap on me, and then I might go with the the MTX Thunderform, but not real sure yet.

If you get your hands on any wirign diagrams, that would be great, I could use them

Thanks

Chris

DYohn 
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Is your factory in-dash HU a 6-disk changer with "Alpine" on it?  What year is the truck?

gatorguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
It is the Alpine system with 6 disc changer yes you are correct and it is a 2000
DYohn 
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

Your factory head unit should have three connectors on it.  The 20-pin is the standard power/speakers, etc. that I'm sure the kit you purchashed from Best Buy attaches to.  There is a 16-pin databus connector for your steering wheel controls that you now cannot use, just leave that one disconnected.  The third connector on the Alpine systems is for the center channels (if you have them) and the factory sub.  Here's the wiring on that connector:

position 1 = sub R line level signal (gray/red)

position 2 = sub L line level signal (WHITE/ red)
position 3 = shield for sub amp signal
position 4 = +12 remote power to sub amp (yellow/red)
position 5 = center channel R line level signal (gray)
position 6 = center channel L line level signal (white)
position 7 = shield for center channel signal
position 8 = +12 remote power to center channel amp (yellow)

This is the generic wiring for all Lincoln systems... although in a Navigator, the wire colors might be slightly different.  To use it, connect the wire from pin 1 to the center connector on a RIGHT RCA, pin 2 to the center for LEFT, and pin 3 is the outer ring for both.  Connect these to the sub out on your new HU.  Connect your remote power lead to pin 4 and see if the sub 'wakes up."

The OEM sub in Lincoln autos is a 6X9 sub pushed by a 35 watt amp, so it will add in missing low frequencies but it will not "thump."

By the way, if you are interested in selling your factory Alpine changer, let me know as I may have buyers for it.

Good luck!

gatorguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

So what I should do is on the RIGHT RCA on the NEW HU I should cut that and splice into it? Correct? Memory serves me right I do NOT have center channel as the 8 pin connector actually only has four pins. So essentially take those 4 pins and splice in to the RIGHT RCA on the NEW HU and it should go? I want omake sure before anything gets cut :)

By the way, yes, I am going to get rid of my factory Disc Changer if you know anyone thats interested. Make me an offer

Thanks again

gatorguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

I was re-reading your post and think I just answered my own question,  but essentially splice 2 RCA's connect both outer rings to pin # 3 and the center Right to PIN1 and the center of LEft to PIN2 and then PIn4 to Remote.

I think I got it I will splice a par of Male RCA's and plug them into the deck to see if they work, Ill keep ya posted if your interested. My new deck arrives Wed. so well see what happens

Thanks

BY the way, if I want to change out the SUB do you have any good suggestions?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic