icon

What was your first install?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

79 honda civic.  jensen 3-1/2in speakers in the doors, blanupunkt 6-1/2in in a wooden box-free air, powered by old pioneer cd player, for the low's two American Pro 8's in a ported pre fabed box, powered by a walmart special road gear amp. 

All in all...it didnt sound to bad.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
88 chevy beretta, sony cdx-4160 deck, pioneer 4" dual cones up front, jensen dual cone 6x9's in back.  Sounded like poop.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
first install (not custom) was in a hand me down 88 corolla sedan. the only thing i did was change the amp to a kenwood kac-729 and add my brother's old fosgate 10's in a bandpass box (don't remember the model, but i don't think they had many models back in '96. It hit hard, but I didn't even know what dynamat was at the time, so it sounded like I had aluminum cans in my trunk. bass was alright, but quality was pure crrrrap.
If that doesn't count as "MY" first install, then my first install would be in my 2000 altima. kenwood mp8017 mp3 deck, jl components in the front, jl coaxials in the back, kenwood 4 channel amp, and the kenwood and subs from the corolla. sorry, don't remember the model numbers.
BaddestBanshee 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
Pioneer old school 22x4 cd player, pioneer 2 way 6x9's in the doors, ads pq 20 on the rear wall, and a sounstream spl 12 in a sealed box behind the seat in a 1981 chevy C10.
Want to know about Audi, I thought you did.
Julian59 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  

My first was in a 1963 Chevy Impala, in 1970 I installed a 45 rpm record player, that was so cool. right under the dash. My 2nd install was a 1965 chevy, it was a Automatic Radio 4 track cassette player. way before 8 track. LOL.

thx

Julian59 

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
Julian59 wrote:

in 1970 I installed a 45 rpm record player,

Julian59  < language=>postamble();

I seen that done before a dj did that type of thing it was awesome he had a little set up  it was on a X-terra

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 4:55 AM / IP Logged  
Can you say 'Sparkomatic'?    My 1st install was before car audio was popular.  It was a 1972 orange ford pinto. I put in a sparkomatic am/fm/casette with no auto-reverse just a fast-fprward button, a sparkomatic 5 band eq with the lighted line graph, 2 sparkomatic 6.5 in the doors and 3 sparkomatic 6 x 9's in the rear deck.  I actually had to cut the middle of the deck to put the 3rd 6 x 9 in.  I also put 2 dinky sparkomatic surface mount pods in the rear pillar. It was pretty loud for the times but minimal bass.  That was a lot of fun. 
Harv
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
it was 1981, my older freinds 1975 k5 blazer. A 8 track player indash, i don't remember the brand. a 20 watt radio shack eq booster. 2 tenna phase III 6x9s in a ply wood box. tenna was a pyramid brand back in the day. beleve it or not not a bad 6x9 for the times. did some minor stuff for buddys here and there. the first install for my self was 1983 i had a 74 camaro with a craig road rated cass deck. 2 flea market 4 ch eq boosters and 8 jenson 6x9's. 2 in the rear deck, 4 in a oak box, and 2 pointed out from under the front seats. it was loud for back in the day. and back then you wern't $hit if you didn't have jenson tri-axels. those were the best at the time. to be young again lol 
Big Dave
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

Okay I have two first. My first "real" install was in 1989 with two Pioneer original "IMPP" 12's in a 1.5cu.ft-per speaker box running off a POS Pyramid Phase 3 200 watt amp. The head unit was a Pioneer shaft mount cassette player that I didnt have a kit for b/c I was a kid and my parents weren't too supportive of my new found hobby to get a kit and harness for me and a Proton Passive EQ bought from Crutchfield for about $50 (man i was proud of that EQ). All this in a 1986 4 cylinder, 5 speed standard transmission Aerostar!

So I said 2 firsts.. "what was the other first Fosgate3?" okay I'll tell you. Before 1989, I had no concept of car audio and very very very very limited concept of electronics in general. It was in a 1982 Chevy Luv. A now classic Alpine shaft mount cassette player was the head unit. An Audiovox active eq/booster for the "mids" and "highs" which were no more than some sparkomatic 3way boxes mounted to the doors. All this was done by my brother so like others, I inherited it. My job were the subs. I somehow got 5 "gemco" dual cone 8 inch speakers that I built a raggedy box for and ran all off of one half of a Majestic 200 watt amp. The other half had already been fried by me!

That was my orgin. Like you guys, I've come along way.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
i see that most of us started out using brands that most people tell the newbes that they are crap. when your just starting out those brands work just fine. i saw names like boss, sparkomatic, pyramid and the like. so just remember when a newbe has a "low" brand amp or sub it's not "low" to them. I see so many times on this forum people tell others how crappy there stuff is. i hate that. cause when we started out we did the same stuff. remember how good those old "systems" sounded to us. The same goes today. the newbs stuff sounds good to them and after all they are the ones who have to hear it. that was my 2 centsWhat was your first install? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Big Dave
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic