4.5-100k
.15-12V
12dB
30Hz-4kHz
2 way
12 vDC
Yes
QBass™ Plus

Vehicle is a 2002 duramax ext. cab 4 door. Eclipse cd8443 deck, power cap, PPI pcx-2400 for sub amp, 2 S10L7-4 ohm solobarics. Also some other crap that doesn't matter at this point.

The amp is a PPI pcx-2400 , these are the specs for it. I am gonna build (2) 1.074cu ft sealed enclosures for (2) S10L7-4ohm kicker solobarics. This is compensating for basket displacement and braces. Is this right, I want to run one channel to each sub at 2ohms. So If I wire the DVC coils to 2 ohms according to kickers diagram, then that will automatically put a 2 ohm load on the amp on each channel. This will achieve 800watts max per channel, CORRECT? Are the 1.0 cu ft optimum enclosure sizes already calculating the basket or am I right by adding the .065 cu ft to the 1.0 cu ft to achieve the optimum enclosure size of 1.0 cu ft for the woofer to operate. I start sawing tomorrow morning, so let me know. Thanks guys! Let me know If I have this wrong, I talked to tech support at kicker, they said as long as the gain was set ok (8volt preout on eclipse cd8443, gain at roughly 1/3), I would have a rockin system in this dudes Duramax. Kicker is also saying in their tech guides to use a:

25Hz Subsonic Filter

set at 24db/Octave.

on their vented enclosures. What does this mean? I just saw on the website that the 1.0cu ft is calculated with the basket discplacement, so that is answered. Let me know!

Want to know about Audi, I thought you did.
BaddestBanshee 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
GUYS?
audiokid1 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  

About the subsonic filter.  If you are doing the vented enclosure design and you know what your tuning frequency is (lets use 43Hz as an example).  This is where the sub will be the most efficient, very little cone movement with lots of output. Since the volume of air displaced by the port is equal to the amount of air displaced by the driver. Anyways, the only set back of the design is that below the tuning frequency the damping of the set up starts to drop at a reasonably decent pace.  I am not sure what the tuning frequency they are telling you to use but I am guessing the low 30's since they want you to set the subsonic at 25.  That and the fact that they are a 10 inch driver,  I wouldn't expect and enormous amount of low end extension so why push the drivers that low when they probably won't be able to reproduce the frequencies all that well. 

BaddestBanshee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
ok, I am doing a sealed box, I was wondering if I had to worry about that. Sounds like I dont though.
audiokid1 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  

I would still set the subsonic though

BaddestBanshee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
so, that is on the amp? or deck? or both?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

A subsonic filter is used to make an amps power supply more efficient and to help protect speakers. It does not matter what kind of box you are using. What it is basically is a high pass filter, in a lot of cases it is adjustable. Below the tuning frequency or last usable octave of response, the amp does not magically stop amplifying the signal, it in fact wastes a whole pile of power amplifying a signal that we either cannot use or hear. The lower a frequency goes, the more power is gobbled up by an amp trying to amplify it, if you can eliminate this wasted power from unusable frequencies, your amp and subs will thank you for it.

Another wiring method on your subs, that will result in a true mono signal being split over all 4 coild evenly is a series  / parallel circuit. This will present a 4 ohm bridged mono load to the amp, it is the same amount of power and current draw as the previous method. If you are making a common chamber box (no divider between subs), this is the method that must be used. I prefer to operate my customers subs as a mono load on the amp split evenly among the voice coils in separate chamber boxes, this way if there is a sub failure, I can still listen to my system.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
A subsonic filter is usually found on an amplifier, if you do not have one, look into either a different amp (no offence as it is a good amp) or a Audio Control active crossover.
BaddestBanshee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
Well here is how far I made it since saturday. The ppi amp is mounted on the back wall. The seat has been lifted 2 1/4 inches, seat is modified to fold up and the back to fold down. Used a set of actuators, and a window toggle switch to lock and unlock the backrest in place. Neon light on the back wall, nos switch in console, mounted the q bass switch in the console (like an epicenter remote). Cut the wood for the boxes, assembled one so far. I am making to seperate boxes so I can mount the mid amp on the center hump. So is the q bass the subsonic filter? The specs say 800w at 2 0hm load. So if I wire each sub for two ohm load, and hook up each channel (2) to each sub, then will the 2 ohm load produce a 800watt output on each channel to each sub? Is this amp gonna produce 800 watts unbridged, or is it 800w bridged at 2 ohm load. I am trying to figure out how to get the most output from each channel.
forbidden 
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Q-bass is not a subsonic filter, it is a variable bass boost (a great way to destroy subs when used in excess) You are correct if you want to wire your subs in this fashion, it is called a parallel circuit and will draw the most out of the amp.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic