the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

good buy or not solo baric l7 15

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

The subs you have will work in either enclosure. They produce much better sound in the proper size sealed enclosure. This means a much more useable range of frequencies and better power handling in the lower frequencies (that a ported enclosure cannot play down to). Anyone can build a ported enclosure and call it to the spec for the sub but from my experience with subs in general, you can take any sub, model it on a box calibration program and specify the size and it will calculate the port length and width and number of ports. You can also change the size of the box and make it bigger or smaller and the program will change the port (s) accordingly. But at the end of the day if you take a computer designed box that is built for brand x sub at the minimum airspace possible and compare it to the same type of box with more airspace and the ports recalibrated to match, there is a huge difference in output and "sound quality" between the two.

You have no way of knowing what kind of enclosure this prefab,built to spec box really is. These subs work best in a sealed box or with a large, much larger ported enclosure. True the ported will play louder, but any two 15" drivers are going to play loud, I just happen to like the sound and performance of them in a sealed box. If you go with ported, a subsonic filter is highly recommended to help protect the subs.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Win Isd is a type of program that forbidden is talking about you can get it free on the net,   i have fooled with those subs in vented and sealed.    it is really hard to keep alot of clarity in vented boxes but it can be acomplished with a very clean amp, and the box to exact specs
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
sbrock 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think just anyone can build a ported box but I can tell you that there will be a noticeable difference if you go ported instead of sealed and I know this for a fact but the very best thing to do is to call Kicker and ask them what they suggest
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
I don't agree, Kicker cannot tell me what I prefer. Build the sealed box first, if you like it leave it alone, if you don't, then build the ported enclosure, to spec. Now you can compare the two and see the drastic differences in output and type of response. I do agree that not anyone can build a box, some people can, others fail miserably.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sbrock 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
You right they can't tell what you prefer what I meant was they can tell you who to get the most out of their subs also I agree about some people failing miserably, but everyone has to start somewhere
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic