icon

amp/sub install question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
ok for your subs I would look at a US acoustics like mobiletoys2002 said. These are excellent amps for the money and even come with a 3 year warranty! Since your subs are 8 ohm then I would get a US acoustics USB-600. It would have about the right power handling for your subs, and it can handle a 2 ohm load if you buy better subs up the road. If you ever want new subs that arn't too much money but better then your kicker ones look at JL's 12" W0 subs. These will play LOUD with very little power(the US amp would be perfect for them, because if you buy 2  4ohm JL subs and wired them both to the bridged output of the amp they would be getting the 150 watts RMS each they like). And about the bass boost, some people just use them as an extra gain knob(they want more volume, but they ruin the sound quality, even if they want it loud if they use the bass boost excessively). I personally dont like to use them that much. ohh yeah, to get a 4 ohm load from the US acoustics amp just connect the speaker terminals from each sub to the single output on the amp.
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry forgot to give you link and price. The US acoustics amp is about $129.00 and is called the USB-600D. Crutchfield is a good place to buy stuff from. Free lifetime product tech support and fast shipping. They also have pretty good prices on everything and if you buy a new cd player or speakers they give you excellent directions on how to install itamp/sub install question - Page 2 -- posted image.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-PYKiIVnkgQS/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=130&I=235USB600D&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

shadowrelic 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

ok i just went to a local ultiment electronics and they said my subs are probubly 300 watt and he sugested a 250 rms amp (1500 peak).   the unit was about 240 bucks so the us acustics is something i will have to really look into :D only diference is that the 600D is 50 watts less (i can live with that) and its mono (the one he wanted me to buy was 2 channel)

--ive been looking at the USB-600D while posting and saw that it has 2 channel outputs, does that mean it can be used as a 2 channel amp as well as a mono amp for my subs? (not at the same time of course)

thanks guys for all your help, anyone know if any stores sell the us acustic or if i have to buy it online?

2 subs
1 amp
0 knowledge of how to hook them up to my car.
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

You should be fine using the US Acoustics. And are you sure you were looking at the USB-600D. It should only have one mono output(one + and - out) and since your subs are single voice coil what I would do to get the maximum amount of power for these subs is wire each sub's positve and negative terminal to the amps single output. This will give you a 2 ohm load in mono (most two channel amps when bridged will only handle a 4 ohm load and you wouldnt be getting as much power with each sub wired to a single channel as you would with the US Acoustics amp i mentioned). Make sure to get an 8 gauge wirining kit from a good brand like Stinger or Streetwires.

jpranwez 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
  A couple of things. First off you should know that the quality of sound you'll get from speaker inputs into an amp instead of rca's (lowlevel inputs) is much lower. 8 or 4 gauge, if you ever decide to upgrade your system or add a second amp for any reason I would suggest running 4 gauge because running power isn't fun for someone without a shop or tools. Next make sure when you run your rca's and power wires you run them seperately. If you run them beside eachother it may cause distortion. If I were you I would take the subs to a store and have them tested or throw them in a buddy's car. If I read correctly you had them hooked up the radio wire and had all the frequencies coming through. I can't imagine that's to good for them. The reason I say test them is if they're bad you'll be better off buying a set of subs and amp that match eachother. And I gotta agree customsuburb, W0 's are good cheap speakers. A buddy had one in an Talon and with150 watts it sounded decent. There was something else but I forgot. Good luck.
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

ok my subs are aprox 300 watt RMS, and i have 2.  the 600D amp only sends out 200 watts @ 4ohms so each speaker would be boosted 100 correct? (2 8 ohm subs hooked up to it)

this would make my subs run under half of what they were made to run at, so is there any "cheap" bigger ones that can run 2 8 ohm subs at 200-250 rms?

amp i saw, (see if you can beat this) 1500 peak 2 channel (bridgeable) 125 x 2 @ ohms i think.  so if i bridged it then the thing would pump out 500 x 1@ 4 ohms.   so when i plug both speakers in parrellel then it sends them both 250 watts rms.  this amp was $280 (OUCH!)

2 subs
1 amp
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

ok i desided that bridging a 2 channel would be alot cheaper then buying a huge mono amp. 

us acoustics usb 2150 http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-aM22M9hTlK7/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=110&I=235USB2150&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y   $150  +  $11 shipping

PLANET AUDIO TT2300 http://www.electronicgiant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1339&osCsid=7f3522f3e5dc6caf7cc3a06a95133287   $200 + $20 shipping

i was told the planet audio one is really good, and just looking at the stuff its 59 bucks more then us acoustics but i would get 150 more rms out of it also.  the plannet audio one would needed to be tuned down for my subs, but the acousitcs sub wouldn't even fully power it...

plz let me know of any other good amps  i could look into :D

2 subs
1 amp
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

i already ran the power cable and rcas next to eachother.... how much distortion will that cause? and im unplugging my subs from my room now that im gonna put them into my car :D 

im going to have to try out my subs somewhere, before i go buying amps and stuff :D  not really sure where tho.... (are there alot of places that you take in subs and test them?? )  cuz im not sure if im going to be able to get over to a buddys house very soon...

---is the remote for the amp very usefull? anyone have/use one? because the planet audio had it as optional and the 600D came with one.... how does it work? can you max your subs with volume 1 or can u just turn it up/down at the current volume?

2 subs
1 amp
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

hey yo waddup hheheh i have some questions as well

i have two 6x9'z hooked up to the head unit

and two 10" subs hooked up to this 1 amp

now heres wat i need help on if u plz

i wanan add another amp, a 400 watt DHD 2 channel amp

i would like for that amp to power the 6x'9z only.

how woiuld i be able to do this? what do i need to buy?

if u could help me plz

shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

first make sure you have after market speakers and that they can handle alot of wattage :D

i would recomend just wireing the second amp up seperatly.   im not sure if you can splice the power cord or if you have to run a new one (im guessing you need a new one) but you can splice the remote and splice/buy Y cables for the rcas....  hooking the amps together wouldnt be very smart because you cant power subs and normal speakers with the same very low bass....  your 6x9s would blow before your subs started moving :(

2 subs
1 amp
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic