icon

amp/sub install question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shadowrelic 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

first make sure you have after market speakers and that they can handle alot of wattage :D

i would recomend just wireing the second amp up seperatly.   im not sure if you can splice the power cord or if you have to run a new one (im guessing you need a new one) but you can splice the remote and splice/buy Y cables for the rcas....  hooking the amps together wouldnt be very smart because you cant power subs and normal speakers with the same very low bass....  your 6x9s would blow before your subs started moving :(

2 subs
1 amp
0 knowledge of how to hook them up to my car.
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
ok back to my question.... planet audio or us acoustics??  or is there any more i can compare it too?  i was told in a chat room planet audio is really good, but all i hear here is get us acoustics....  i dont mind paying the few extra bucks for an extra 150 rms and a higher quality amp.... both these amps are cheaper then the ones i have in town... :D
2 subs
1 amp
SDmustang21 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

Some things you may overlook when installing an amp! Works for radio installs too!

• Dont forget a fuse close to the battery for the power cable going to the amp...bout 30-50 amp fuse should be good for under 500 watts i think..This will keep your car from bursting into flames if anything goes wrong!  I think no more than 18 inches from the battery.  I would run a 4 gauge cable because everyone....eventually wants more...heh heh.  8 gauge is fine too if money is a factor...personally i wouldn't go any smaller than 8 guage for one amp.
  • Dont forget to use grommets(rubber round circles) wherever you go through metal, like betweent he enginebay and the car's interior...
  • you can also use rubber hose like the kind you can get at the autoparts store for vacumm.  Just split it in half, lengthwise and put it over any sharp edges...this is to keep your wires from chaffing( getting cuts in it)
  • Run rca's as far possible from power wires to avoid noise.....not tooo important for subs though....so i wouldn't stress about it if you've already run the cable.  But as soon as you can...i would reroute the rcas or power to the other side of the car.  example:  run power along driverside and rca's along passenger side of car...or visa vera.
  • Use the same guage wire for power and ground! 

That's bout all i can spit out at the moment...will post more if i remember something else i forgot

Buy it, install it, play with it. Then take it back out, read the instructions, install it better!
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

wow thanks SDmustang :D

fuse (check)

run though a grommet (check)

rubber hose thing (forgot to put it on.... oops )

rcas away from the power (havnt even bought an amp so this isnt a big concern )

same guage power as ground (check)

amp (not yet.... ) someone tell me what to buy!!!!!!! or else im going with the planet audio one :D (tell me if this is good too... i want a responce!!! ) lol

2 subs
1 amp
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Planet Audio does indeed make some very good amplifiers, I stocked them a number of years ago and probably will again this year. A 5 year warranty is always nice to give a customer at no charge.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

ok i think thats enouph info for me :D im gonna buy the 600 rms and hope my subs work :D  if they dont ill just have to buy a really big sub :D

--to bad they cant handle 2 ohms.... bridged atleast...

PS: post if you know a good + cheaper amp i could buy!!! i can still change my mind...

2 subs
1 amp
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  

waddup relic try the 1000 sony watt amp 2 channel

its at 500 rms i think but yeah its pretty bomb it blew off my trunk ahhah ^_^

BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
SDmustang21 wrote:

Some things you may overlook when installing an amp! Works for radio installs too!

• Dont forget a fuse close to the battery for the power cable going to the amp...bout 30-50 amp fuse should be good for under 500 watts i think..This will keep your car from bursting into flames if anything goes wrong!  I think no more than 18 inches from the battery.  I would run a 4 gauge cable because everyone....eventually wants more...heh heh.  8 gauge is fine too if money is a factor...personally i wouldn't go any smaller than 8 guage for one amp.
  • Dont forget to use grommets(rubber round circles) wherever you go through metal, like betweent he enginebay and the car's interior...
  • you can also use rubber hose like the kind you can get at the autoparts store for vacumm.  Just split it in half, lengthwise and put it over any sharp edges...this is to keep your wires from chaffing( getting cuts in it)
  • Run rca's as far possible from power wires to avoid noise.....not tooo important for subs though....so i wouldn't stress about it if you've already run the cable.  But as soon as you can...i would reroute the rcas or power to the other side of the car.  example:  run power along driverside and rca's along passenger side of car...or visa vera.
  • Use the same guage wire for power and ground! 

That's bout all i can spit out at the moment...will post more if i remember something else i forgot < language=>postamble();

yeah thats good suggestion

but my car RCA's and the ground and hot wire are all together lolz all on the driver passenger side i have no time in changing it to the way u suggested, but i really liked it. i should have thought of that. also i have a questions for the rca's

the rca is the wire that comes from the head unit to the amp correct?

its the wire that has a "L" and a "R" that plugs into 1 amp correct?

i wanted to know how i can hook that up into 2 amps? cuz i plan on using 2 amps but not sure how to wire them up . if there a diagram that u can show me how this is done plez post it

shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  

ok your right about the rcas bang bang... L and R (white and red normaly) theres two easy ways you can run it to two amps...

1. cut the ends and there will be 4 wires..... (2 each) splice them and add 2 more ends

2. buy cheap Y connecters that basicly split it without any cutting or anything ( this is probubly the best way to go because cutting and reconnecting and all that stuff can end up with bad connections.... )

2 subs
1 amp
pegleg 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  

you don't  have to spend a load of money on Y conneters eather.  Radio Shack has decent ones that are even gold plated for less than most car audio store would sell.  Just make sure there twisted.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic