Car Alarm, any Recommendations?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hi guys,
I'm still new to the "Auto Security" thing. So excuse my ignorance. I'm still looking for a good reliable alarm/security system that would take a thief "too long" to disable if he were to try and steal my van.
I will be installing it myself but I would like some recommendations on some of the brands of alarms that you guys use. I would like something that has all the components like: Passive (Automatic) arm/disarm, door lock/unlock, starter kill, and maybe a window roll up module. I'm also going to be adding power locks (4) to it as well using an after market kit. I see alot of brands like out there like DEI, micro, fusion, Ungo, code alarm, Bull dog, commando, omega, and the list goes on...So I'm a bit confused, Any recommendations and/or suggestions will definitely be appreciated.
Thanks
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Car Alarm, any Recommendations? -- posted image.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Well a thief can disable the "best" alarm on the market if installed poorly. And a thief could struggle with the "worst" alarm on the market if installed properly. I've only seen passive locks...I don't know how you could make your alarm unlock your doors automaticly. I'm a big...not make that HUGE fan of DEI. I would perfer to install one of those over any of the other brands listed. I've installed about 4 out of the 8 you've listed, and the ones I've installed were not as easy to program features as the DEI. I'm a proud owner of the Clifford RS3.5.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I had a Python alarm, which works extremely well, installed in my 97 Altima last year and I can't even find anything related to the alarm in the car other than the LED light and the siren (I think the installer did a very good job).  Oh, when I said, "Passive (Automatic) arm/disarm, door lock/unlock", I was only talking about the Passive arming-meaning that it locks the doors when it automatically arms (my car's alarm was programmed to do that-the valet guys hate me).  I've read on several sites around the net that DEI alarms are easy to program and yet really reliable.  But they can be kinda pricey.  I paid 450 dollars for my 87 ford cargo van at a charity auction and it doesn't make sense for me to put a an alarm that costs as much as the van itself.  Are there any online sites (besides ebay) that I can possibly get a DEI or equivalant alarm for a resonable price?  Or maybe a used one with instructions?  Thanks again for the help
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Car Alarm, any Recommendations? -- posted image.
ikorman 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  

For one reason or another, I never had anything but DEI products in my cars (Chevy, Volvo, Volvo) and I just bought another one from NowOnSale.com.  Viper 560VX alarm/remote start combo is only $138 and it is as cheap as most other alarms/starters.  I have seen this no-name alarm/starter package at Costco for $99!  Which would you rather get?  :-)

Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
I guess I would be paying the extra for the reliability of DEI then huh? Makes sense...since one of my cars already has one...
Duane...
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Is DEI the maker of Viper?
boom, boom, boom boom....
onthespot 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
DEI makes Viper, Clifford, Avital, Rattler, Sidewinder, Automate, Valet, Hornet, and i think there is more but cannot remember. So all those brands are good to go with
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

How do you feel about the Commando FM870 2 way?

A

brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
I sell the Commando FM 870 and have had great luck with the unit. It has great range! Given all of the features and the price of the unit I think it is as good or even better than the DEI stuff. I have not had any come back with problems. Like someone said above. The alarm is only as good as the installation. The Commando products are hard to beat.
Brian
owner/installer
Sight & Sound Car Stereo
"all electronic equipment runs off of smoke, once you let it out, it stops working"
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Brian. I will go ahead and get buy the FM870. I will be installing it in my 87 300E with vac locks. Will I need 2 relays? 2 for vac door and 1 for vac trunk locks?

Thanks Angel

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic