the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
iconicon

Which 2 Way Systems / LCD Systems?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: What’s your system of choice ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
DEI ( Any Model ) 19 [61.29%]
AutoPage 2 [6.45%]
Commando 1 [3.23%]
Crimestopper 3 [9.68%]
Other ( Please list ) 6 [19.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slugless7 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  
I am a DEI fan, Where i work the options are limited seeing as how we just dropped Black Widow's 7150 and that leaves us with the RSX 3.5 and the 2.5 Cliffords but i've seen commandos, crime stoppers and one phoenix digatal. and after that lineup i would have to stick to DEI hands down.
fbird08 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

I myself would have to go with the audiovox 996C. I had previously installed a DEI 790 in my 95 Formua and the range on the thing was terrible. I thought maybe I had a def unit or a bad antenna or maybe a bad ground (that believe it or not does effect range) so i swapped everything out, wires and everything, for a new one but I still had terrible range. My shop also stocks audiovox alarms so i switched to the 996C just to see how that one was. The 996C was by far the best one I've ever used. The range was at least a good 200-300 feet longer than the 790 and had a lot more/better features. The 996C has a little bigger brain than the 790 but doesnt have the seprate relay bank for the RS, all the relays are contained in the brain so you dont have to find two places to put the components. The shock sensor has little tabs on it so you actually have something to zip-tie or screw the shock sensor down with as with the 790 the shock sensor is just a little plastic bubble that is hard to keep a zip-tie from sliding off of. The 996C has a built in thermometor(sp) this way by hitting a button on the remote the temp inside your car will be displayed on the remote of the 996C in deg. C or deg F your choice, the 790 does not have this feature. Another advantage is that you can set the 996C to start the car if it drops below a certain temp. and run for a preset time to keep the fluids from freezing in extreme cold. The antenna for the 790 looks something that belongs on the top of a tv to pick up sations from mars but the antenna on the 996c is smaller than most regualr antennas. Its about the size of a remote with a little nub sticking out of it total of about 2" long where the 790 antenna is about a foot long. You can page the remote from your car with the 996C by pushing the program button I havent checked but i dont believe this is an option with the 790 (convient when you lose your keys). Most of all beyond all the better options and functions the remote for the 996C looks sooooooooooooooo much nicer than that on the 790. The 996C remote is all silver with a little black antenna on it  with either a green or orange back lit display  (not an option on one remote just you can get a remote with either color). It looks like a mini cell phone and is a good convo starter when people ask if its a cell (happens alot). The remote for the 790 is very boxy and the color isnt the most appealing.

I'm not trying to put down the 790 its a good alarm/rs but the 996C by audiovox is just all around better. The only complaint about the audiovox is the programming. You cannot use a bitwriter on it (obviously, its not a DEI product) and the menus are not the simplest things to navigate through. If you have the manual in front of you that shows you how do do the programing it is relatively easy but not something you can memorize like with the 790. So all in all the only thing that the 790 has over the 996C is programing which you have to do once.

Hope this helps with your purchase decision.

Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
But your word is everything,
If your word means nothing,
You are nothing...think about it
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
I would definatly go with the DEI piece just because of the reliability factor involved. I have only ever had one defective DEI unit in the last couple years and I have been putting in probally 4 starters a day 6days a week for the last 3 1/2 months without a problem. So Im not saying they are foolproof but they are definatly the most reliable stuff I have come accross. And Range definatly can affect ground so make sure you have a resistance value of less than 7% if you put it in yourself.
fbird08 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

I also have been doing the same (about 4 starters a day  for the last 4 months) and i do agree with ravendarat that DEI does make a great remote starter. The 369D is the one my shop sells the most of and it really hasnt given me any problems at all but the question in hand is the 2-way paging systems. In my experience, reliability wise both the audiovox and DEI 2-way paging systems rarely give me any problems what so ever. If there is any question about the reliablity of the audiovox though it does come with a full lifetime warranty.  

Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Don't know if you guys heard much of this system, well I guess not because I haven't seen anybody write about it, is compustar paging systems, I installed quite a bit and haven't heard anything but good things about the systems.  Can't be that bad when you install it in some of your friends vehicles because usually if there is something wrong with it you'll hear about it right away!  Thats what friends are for!
Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
draco1462 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
anyone have first hand experience with a valet 554R?, I was just taken by the local store of a chain, I asked for a  2-way paging lcd remote start alarm system and refered to the g5 system, and got charged $375 on my card to order a sytem, 3 days later I get the 554R system with only 1 lcd remote and I find it on the net for $199 , must have been a used car salesman to my rube
elpuma817 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
LOVE the new DEI relay module...great when you're trying to find places for everything... especially in cars with limited space...when installed correctly, I have rarely ever had a range problem with the xhf antennas, people normally rave about them... the Black Widow 7150 on the other hand...
fbird08 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

Definately have to agree with elpuma817, the new DEI relay module is great. Less than half the size of the original relay bank and has the starter kill relay built right it.....very cool.

Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
draco1462 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  

my second look opinon of the 554r has improved, the system is loaded with options to fit almost any need/vehicle you may have, but your gonna need more relays, and take my advice and let the dealer install it cause I did not have an electrical schematic for my car(my error), 2 days later and everything is installed except the door trigger circuit that after going thru EVERY wire at the drivers kick panel while opening and closing the switch (I've only had the car a month so I am not familiar with it yet, and no its not the black w/lt. blue trace wire!) and the remote sttart needs another relay to simulate pressing the brake pedal to engage the starter, I asked dei NICELY for help/ access to info at their techs only site but being a paying customer with an applied science in automotive technology and 20+yrs expierience as a service tech/installer was not good enough, (a**holes) not even the offer of a non-disclosure agreement was refused, makes me wonder what they dont want anyone knowing like the fact that dei has bought out most brands of car alarms coming close to a monopoly of the industry the fall of customer service and competition gets us the kind of "help" one can expect from "Im the only source so take it or leave it" companies,   the alarm is great, the company sucks $&@!

draco1462 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  

my second look opinon of the 554r has improved, the system is loaded with options to fit almost any need/vehicle you may have, but your gonna need more relays, and take my advice and let the dealer install it cause I did not have an electrical schematic for my car(my error), 2 days later and everything is installed except the door trigger circuit that after going thru EVERY wire at the drivers kick panel while opening and closing the switch (I've only had the car a month so I am not familiar with it yet, and no its not the black w/lt. blue trace wire!) and the remote sttart needs another relay to simulate pressing the brake pedal to engage the starter, I asked dei NICELY for help/ access to info at their techs only site but being a paying customer with an applied science in automotive technology and 20+yrs expierience as a service tech/installer was not good enough, (a**holes) not even the offer of a non-disclosure agreement was refused, makes me wonder what they dont want anyone knowing like the fact that dei has bought out most brands of car alarms coming close to a monopoly of the industry the fall of customer service and competition gets us the kind of "help" one can expect from "Im the only source so take it or leave it" companies,   the alarm is great, the company sucks $&@!.

PS the remote relay bank uses too small a gauge wiring to power the starter for long let alone the heater& defroster even the wires from my key switch are larger so be careful unless you like red lights and lotsa water and walking

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic