icon

need a good 8 inch sub.. suggestions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
proinstall 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
anyone have any suggestions? its going in a S2000.. it needs to be 8 so I can make use of a custom made 8" enclosure.. so I dont need suggestions like 'just go 10, or just go 12'.. i need a good 8" subwoofer..
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
I believe JL makes an 8" woofer. Not to get sidetracked from the main topic here, but have you ever considered the Infinity Basslink? I believe those were designed with cars like yours in mind. just asking.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
proinstall 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

i have.. i should have added.. the custom enclosure makes use of a small area in the corner

need a good 8 inch sub.. suggestions? -- posted image.

if that makes it at all clear.. the basslink wouldnt fit as well..

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
oh alright. I didnt know the enclosure was already in place. it was just a suggestion. anyhow, i'll do some looking around and make a little list for ya. what kind of amp do you have? just so i know what ballpark to keep the subs in. thanks
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Infinity makes a very good 8" in their Beta line (if you can still find them.)
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

kicker solo baric L7 8"

JL audio- 8W7
Focal has some 8's
Infinity

My money would go to the Kicker or 8W7 JL Audio

94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
no wuestion, easily go with the 8" jlw7, its powerful and only requires around 250 watts. it will make the most of your 8 inch custom enclosure. ive heard it at my local shop, it sounds like a medium grade 12 inch or a really good 10 inch
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
Hey man go with the 8" Jlw7, bonny is right the w7 8"
sound like the old 12" jlw6s, it is that powerful. get that and you wont go wrong.
Ernie
proinstall 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

Ok guys.. to answer some questions, and state a few more specs I'll need from the subwoofer:

I need the stereo for spring break, I'm taking the S to florida from buffalo ny w/ a friend and I want a better stereo than last years spring break (to OBX).. you cant really hear the stock one over 45 mph with the top down.. I bought a set of Focal polyglass components for upfront (only has 2 speakers) when my stereo is done I plan on having a soundstream reference 75x4 amplifier to power the front 2 speakers and the 8" subwoofer in the trunk..

Now.. the thing is.. by the time spring break comes (Leaving on the 13th of march) I won't have time to save up the money for a amp or headunit... Luckily, my exgirlfriend has a pioneer 7300 in her car that is my property, so I'm pretty much taking that out and putting it in the S for the time being, as for the amplifier, my friend is trying to get me to buy his unused 5.3x rockford fosgate amp ( http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/1997/3_Amplifiers/MAN1381A_5-3xAmp_MAN.pdf ) its a 5 channel, I could bridge the 4 channel to power the fronts and use the sub output for the sub.. I have my heart set on the soundstream.. but he told me I'm welcome to just 'borrow it' and if I like it I can buy it, if not oh well its sitting under a couch in the new box untouched anyways (atleast it got some use).. when I get back from florida I plan on picking up the soundstream amp and the pioneer dex-p9 headunit..

Cliff notes:

I need a working stereo (installed) by the 13th of march, by that time I will have a pioneer 7300 headunit, rockford 5.3x 5 channel amplifier, and focal polyglass components, all I need is the 8" subwoofer..

When I get back I'm ditching the 7300 for a DEX-P9, and the 5.3x rockford for a soundstream(75x4)..

do you get what I'm saying.. ? so those are my power constraints..

as for volume constraints.. the box is sealed and .38ft^3 worth of volume (w/out the speaker)

Now will the W7 work for me? I don't know the specs but I doubt I'll have the volume or power required to run such a speaker :(

also, I'd like to find everything on ebay :)

proinstall 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
As for which model soundstream reference.. I was thinking the 644s..
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic