icon

Installers Best Friend

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wlg83 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2002 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, my resources are Radio Shack, Sears, Menards and Home Depot. Out of these stores, what brand name, and model number DMM would you reccomend getting, and as inexpensive as possible... not cheap or unreliable. I am just starting out with this businessm and I am a little short. Also, I haven't seen (or looked for) a computer safe test light. Price range?

Thanks guys

markb 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2002 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

I use an IDEAL Test-Pro 61-360. It's not a very expensive unit, and works great. Big bold display. VERY rugged. It's been seriously abused for three years  and still works perfect. It's got this rubber shell that protects it. I think it may have cost me about 60$ or so. worth every penny. Use it every day. I think Home Depot might carry IDEAL. Not sure.  However, if you live in a city with all those stores, there is probably more than one electrical supply houses. Almost all of these guys carry Klien and IDEAL tools. I'd check in the yellow pages and make some calls.  Tool shopping kicks ass.

-Mark
wlg83 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2002 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Mark. I went to Auto Zone just a few mins ago for some panel clips and asked. They told me about a local shop that I had totally overlooked, I am probably going to go on wednesday. Sears had a few miltimeters that I looked at, but none of the "airbag-safe" test lights..... thinking further, I doubt I will ever need the feature anyways. Even if I didn't buy any tools, I agree with Mark... tool shopping kicks ass!
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2002 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

hey, wlg83.....

About the only people I know of that carry air-bag safe test lights are teh big names...Mac, Matco and Snap-On.......reason is well they're also at the mechanics shops....

However, you could possibly try NAPA.....they might either have on or be able to order one....I'm not sure, but hey it's worth a shot....

As far as multimeters...I got my first on at Lowe's...I think it was called Sperry,, but don't hold it to me...It was about $50...I know the shop has a cheap DMM by GB...it works fairly well and it was about $30.....it's effective, but sometimes, it takes awhile to get the readings you want...summed up, the readigns bounce for about a minute before the set in sometimes...It's good for finding 12V sources and resistance, etc....but it can be a pain in the a$$.....

Just get a DMM that lets you do the basic functions, and with your first check...get a Fluke or equivalent!!

Hope that helped

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
alitaki 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, here's some info on the above mentioned test light:
Company Name: Tessco (www.tessco.com)
Item Name: Computer Safe Circuit and Polarity Tester
Description: Computer safe, will not damage sensitive electronic components. Draws less than 21mA. Red glow indicates (+) polarity. Green indicates (-).
Item #: 13341
Price: $8.18 US
NIk
par3721 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2002 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  
love my DMM.i have a bluepoint and can not do anything without it.Installers Best Friend - Page 2 -- posted image.
Ghettolt1 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2002 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
i cannot function without flush cutters
Cicuit City 12V
1994 Camaro
1999 CBR F4
bradleonard 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2002 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
as stated above, Rat Shack is not the place to buy such a device, if you need a cheap DMM go to Sears. If you want a meter that is going to last, buy a fluke. If money is an issue for the Fluke meters, I believe Home Depot carries the Fluke 10 for around $60-70 which is a really good deal.
werd
alitaki 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2002 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
I don't see why people are knocking on Rat Shack DMMs. I've had a radio shack that lasted about 8 years while a few of my buddies with flukes kept having problems. That's not to mention that my Rat Shack DMM was put through a great deal of torture.
Eventually, it died due to getting flooded w/ water.
Nik
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2002 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

my post a dmm is the best but as a 8 year installer of 12 volt car audio systems i use two things a cheep five dollar resited test light only works one way possitive negative its actually a alternator tester from radio shack and works fine over five years of testign with it and does not set off air bags while testing door locks and stuff. it tells me from 11 volts dc to 15 volts dc and will a tach the fifteen volt light flashes so it works perfect and requires no batteries and is the cheepest thing 5-10 bucks at radio shack.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic