icon

Subs/Amp ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
FullForce 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Put your meter on the ohm scale and read the resistance at the connector on the amp for each sub. Now there is no reason that you should not know if they are SVC or DVC. All you have to do is look on the back of the speaker. If they are SVC wire each speaker straight to the amp parallel. If they are dual 4 ohm coil subs you wire the coils in parallel and then go from either coil to the amp like I mentioned on the SVC method. If they are SVC then the amp will be runnning at 2 ohms which will be making 1200 watts. If they are dual 4ohm coil subs then the amp will be running at 1 ohm and will still make 1200 watts. That amp has no power increase from 2 to 1 ohm. Now unless the coils are messed up you shouldbe able to check the resistance at the amp with it off and have either .8 - 1.2 ohms if they are DVC or 1.8 - 2.2 if they are single. Before you write the amp off double check these things if its still not working after wiring the subs right. Run a little jumper wire from the + connection of the amp over to the remote connection. Still no sound, then movethe ground to another spot. Still no sound then pull the deck and make sure rca is plugged in and make sure its plugged in good on the amp. Also I the amp has line out jacks, make sure you are not using them instead ofthe line in. Good Luck. Keeps us posted.
Ishinc 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
by any chance you forget to adjust the INPUT level? fuse?
FullForce 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Plug the rca's into the front rca output and see if the amp comes alive, it's alive, it,'s alive, hopefully anyhow. This may tell us if it an amp problem or cd player problem. Do not meter the subs resistance with the wires still hooked to the amp, it will throw the reading out the window.

pure BS ... if the system is off it wont throw jack off, pun intended
Prophit 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
I dont think the subs are wired up correctly. Do what Full Forces said.. If you want we could draw you a diagram and you could try that. but make sure all 4 (2) + and (2) - are wired up on each sub..  Another thing you can try is get a regular speaker(one you dont care to blow).. Take the gain on your amp and set it all the way to its lowest setting.. Turn down all of your bass settings on your deck. Then wire up the regular speaker. turn on the deck and see if you get any kind of power out of it. I have the JBL300.1 so i know how that amp wires in its basic. Try that and keep up posted.
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
your deck puts out 8v and your amp only accepts up to 4v
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Fullforce, the reason I recommend that the wires be disconnected is that many "noobs" try doing this with the system still running, while it may not apply to the person who posted the question, it may apply to a person who is reading the thread.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
bfog99, the output voltage of the deck should not affect the input stages of the signal chain at the amp. To me this sounds like the amp is in protection, be it from a pinched rca cable or a speaker wire or a speaker may have an open in it, not allowing the circuit to be complete. Try hooking any old speaker up to the amp with a new speaker wire and see if you get signal. Run a new rca cable over the seats from the cd player. Should the amp not come alive with a new rca and new speaker, you must try a new cd lpayer or discman to give a signal to the amp, if it works the cd player is the culprit, if it does not work, the amp is the culprit.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic