icon

How to fit a sub onto a Sony xr-4800 unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Harvi21 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

hi, i have a sony xr-4800 head unit, and i also brought some new sony 10" explode speakers 2 put in the doors n back shelf.

i've fitted it all succesfuly and it all works, but now i wanted 2 add a subwoofer in the boot. my head unit gives me 4 speaker output @ 35watts 4ohm per speaker. it also had a remote line input on the back of the head unit.

i would like 2 hook up a 12" 300/400 watt sub to my system, can any1 help me with my problem???

also if i can do this without a amp, plz tell me, if not then its ok, as long as sum1 helps me solve my problem, with or without a amp...

thanx very much 2 any1 th@ tries 2 help, very much appricated :)

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
uhmmmm, long story short you need an amp to drive the sub.
The 4 speaker outputs from the head unit are for internal speakers, not subwoofers. If you post your make and model of the subs we can better assist you in choosing an amp.
The remote line gets connected to an external amplifier and is used to turn it on and off.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Harvi21 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  

hi, thanx 4 the reply, ok, its a: RM Audio RMS530 12" Subwoofer

SPECIFICATIONS:

• 300 Watts Max Power
  • Silver Carbon Polypropylene Cone
  • High Energy Magnet Structure (40 oz)
  • Extra Heavy Stamped Steel Basket
  • 40 oz Magnet
  • Frequency Response : 25 - 2,000 Hz
  • Impedance : 4 ohm
  • Sensitivity : 92 dB
  • Qts: 0.73
  • VAS: 144.69L
  • FS: 37.39Hz
  • Sealed Enclosure Volume: 1.08 cu.ft/30L
  • i hope th@ is of help, thanx once again 4 helpin me How to fit a sub onto a Sony xr-4800 unit -- posted image.

bryceyaworsky 
    Copper - Posts: 152
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: March 04, 2004 at 5:15 AM / IP Logged  

Those 10 inch speakers... are they subs?  If this is the case you'll need at least two amps if you want to add a fifth, and some midrange speakers as well.  Even if they're full range speakers, you should get a 4 channel amp as the deck won't power them well.

Harvi21 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: March 04, 2004 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  

no sorry, the 4 x 10" ones i have in there now r full range, i just wanted 2 add a sub 2 give me the bass and let the other 4 give me mid/high range...

its only the 1 sub i'd like 2 put in, but i've looked around on the net and they talk of RCA output on the head units??? the 1 i have (sony xr-4800) does not have any, just the 4 speaker outs i'm using, +ve switched, +ve constant, -ve/ground, ilumination (not in use), arial and remote........

i cant figuer out how i would get a sound input from my head unit to 'a amp' sutable for my sub.

bryceyaworsky 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: March 04, 2004 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  
    righto, 4 x 10" means something entirely different than 10".  If you want to add a sub you'll need a line output converter (LOC).  It turns your speaker outputs into RCA's which can then plug into an amp.  The only problem is that you need to use 2 of your outputs from your deck.  I'm not sure, but you might be able to use it and still have the speaker wire going to your 4 x 10's.
    Harvi21 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: March 04, 2004 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  

i'm very sorry lol, when i say 4 x 10" i mean 4 speakers th@ r 10", 1 in each of the front doors and 2 on the back shelf..... so really i could say take the rear Left +ve/-ve as the left RCA to the amp and take the rear right +ve/-ve as the right RCA to the amp???

and then the amp will feed the sound out 2 the sub??? i was thinking of th@, but the out put on each channle of the head unit is 35watts @ 4ohms, will th@ matter??

bryceyaworsky 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: March 04, 2004 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

yes the output definitely matters, and you shouldn't run subs with a deck.  Those 10" speakers, even though they are full-range, should be powered by an amp.  Check the power handing of them and see what it says. 

Connection-wise, that's exactly what you would do to hook up a LOC.  One side of the LOC has speaker wire and the other has RCA's.  The power from your deck shouldn't be a problem.  Something else you can consider is getting an amp with speaker-level inputs.  Then you can take the speaker-wire and plug it directly into the amp, saving you the trouble of a LOC.

Harvi21 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: March 04, 2004 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

ok cool, did  u have any amps in mind?? on the cheap range How to fit a sub onto a Sony xr-4800 unit -- posted image.

the speakers in there now r sony explode 1's, the RMS is 25watts and the peak is 140watts

bryceyaworsky 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: March 04, 2004 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  

sony explode 1's...... hmmm.... never heard of them.  I did a search and couldn't find anything, so I can't help you there.  Those power ratings seem a bit weird for a speaker as well since the rms should be roughly half of the peak.

As far as which amps to recommend, I can't really say because I have no idea what is sold over in the U.K.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic