icon

JL in competion?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
So people talk about JL all the time and most people seem to place them in the same graces as other elite car audio manufactures. My question is, when it comes to the SPL circut, does JL put out a competive vehicle. I was sitting here thinking about It and I cant recall ever seeing a JL car win anything. I can think of Rockford, Kicker, MTX and even the old Gates PPI vehicles but I cant recall JL ever having a real impressive car. Any one know of one?
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
JL had a Jetta with two W7 13 inch..or is it 13.5? anyway they have had one, but i havent seen any really recently.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
popkorn 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.jlaudio.com/desktop_images/wallpaper.html  << there is too wallpapers in there that show the GTI it looks pretty sweet but nothing to special compared to others from rockford and such, if you go the the main menu there is links to descriptions and such about it

Hardcor audio 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen the GTI up close, very nice install, sounds good, not for spl though. I have yet to see anyone that uses JL and actually hit any big numbers, there was some guy in florida who used the 15w3's  and hit a big number, but someone said that the subs were  modified, exactly how who knows, as far as those w7's  if you ask me they are over priced for what you get, you can get other subs cheaper that will out perform the w7, i have installed tons of JL subs  which none have impressed me,i have also installed the kicker L7 subs, again  not very impressed, you  are probably asking  what kind of boxes did he use how much power, it really didnt matter we use all different set ups, they sounded good , but not an spl sub at all, and in my opinon not worth the $$$$.
Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
I've installed 1 L7 solobaric dual voice coil in the back of a Civic and hit 156 Db's so I really couldn't tell ya if you wanted to go more loud than that.
Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I did the same kinda set up in a precidia, we used an old school crome 500a2 to a 15" L7 and I think we hit in the 155 to 156 range, but that was 2 1/2 years ago so I cant remember exactly what the number was but it was big. The reason why I asked this question is because, honestly, I have no faith in JL what so ever and was kinda wondering if anyone who was a serious competitor used JL. I very rarely ever see a DB Drag or IASCA winner using JL, in fact I cant remember ever seeing one. I am kinda wondering if there may be some other people out there that see JL more of a smoke and mirrors company. I mean before they came out with the W7 they had the same sub design and technology for like 10 years. Some may say, if its not broke dont fix it, but I say i saw enough of it break I didnt understand why they dont fix it.
Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Well, one of my friends installed 4 12" JL W0 I think, in B2200 truck, with 2 Alpine 1507 and be is into some serious competing, I would say they hit pretty good considering I couldn't even sit in the truck when he was dragging it, I think he ended up hitting 162 I think, but I know it was pretty good.  Not bad considering they were the low end JL subs, I couldn't imagine if he were to put W7 in there, probably blow his glass out!!
Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
I dont think a meter that is dialed in correctly is gonna show you a number anywhere near that high on 4 WO's, I dont care what amp or amps  he has them on. I have seen cars around here using 2 15w6 in a wall hitting 140's with the same kinda power. 162 DB's on a good meter is very very hard to hit. I have only seen a couple vehicles do it. I know in Magazines you see it all the time but in real life that number is damn high. Also as far as not being able to sit in the vehicle when its playing, it depends on the person as some people have a much higher tollarance than others. I know people who get sick at 140 where as I havent found a car yet that I cant sit in. BTW thats not a challange for people to respond by saying that I could never sit in thier car when its playing because thats not the point I was making nor would I really care if I could or not anyways.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

first of all JL is more focused into SQ, they are probably one of the cleanest sounding subs around, very  effecient too.  also, it is highly possible to post  a 162 with 4 12W0'S.  obviously some of you don't know too much about tuning frequencies and air space.  the shop i work at has an extended cab F150 with 3 10W3's doing a 160 flat. and that's stock because the box is still below the windows. once you go above the back glass it becomes modified but the box is designed purely for SPL.  JL has been in the game for a long time and they still remain one of the best around.  i guarantee you i could built a box for 2 JL12W3's that you would think was 4 15's.  it's not hard, it's all in tuning frequencies.  i've made a 3 1/2" do a 172.  granted it's not legal to do in an actual competition  but its funny as hell. anything's possible, there's nothing that can't be done

what!?!?! you want some??
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
also, if you look and professional competitors, people who have been doing it a long time, look at the sound quality portion, 75% of them use JL
what!?!?! you want some??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic