icon

Building a new system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soccer_aholic 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

Hey. I am putting a new system in my car. It is a 1994 eagle talon, so it doesn't have much room in the trunk at all. I just put a new 145 amp alternator in and I am going to buy a couple batteries. So i will have plenty of power to run almost anything i want. I have to watch how much money I am spending though, cause of the fact that I am also putting a dvd player and multiple screens in the car. When I comes down to it that all cost a lot of money. I was going to put 4 10" phoenix Golds in but then I decided to look at some other stuff. I am just looking for some ideas on what I should put in. I want it to be LOUD. but I also need save space cause of the size of the hatch and try not to spend to much. Ideas for subs and amps would be nice.

Soccer_aholicBuilding a new system -- posted image.
thepyrofish 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
A buddy of mine's got 2 10" rockford power HX2's and it sounds amazing. just go listen to some stuff and see what sounds best for your price range.
Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
The new Rockford Punch Stage 2's are amazing. I heard 2 12" in a sealed box and i was very very impressed. Definetly something worth checking out.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

Leave the extra batteries out for now, you don't even know if you need them yet. All they will do is give you a longer play time with the car not running, but they will present a larger load for you tiny little alternator to try and keep charged. If you want a new battery, that is great, but replace the factory one only.

To get loud or loud with some sq, this is totally different. Are you going for all out spl or do want to drive around and enjoy your music and have it play to a respectable level, say 140 db. (permanent hearing damage territory). The road to what you want to do has a lot of questions that need to be asked and answered by both you and the people that respond. I think that I've given you some questions and answers that you should ponder over before you dive in.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
soccer_aholic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

Ok about the rockford. I really hate punch. Power on the other hand are not bad. I was actually also looking into buying 2 Rockford 12" Power subs and runnning each off of its own JBL 1200.1. In my last wehicle (S10) I was running only one power and a 1200.1 It was not bad. But I am not sure yet. I think I want louder then that. And I am replacing the stock battery and putting in atleast one more. I am planning in going in some SPL competitions in the area so I will need that. and I guess my defentition of not much money if more then most peoples out there. I think I may hook it up so that I can run one sub when I am just driving around normally, and then make it so i can runn everything all at once at the flick of a switch. this way it will not put wear on my alternator.

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

yea, thats not too hard, just put each sub on a seperate amp, and toggle switch the rem wire. not too hard. i've done it a few times

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
haha thats an interesting idea, but with a 145 amp alternator, you could easily handle 2 10" woofers
Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
soccer_aholic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I think I am going to put in 3 Rockford HX2 Power subs (12inch) and run two of them off of a JBL 1200.1 and one off of a 600.1. Then I can either run 1,2, or 3 of them at once. That leaves  me a lot of options and i will not put useless wear on the alternator. Plus it will pound. what do you guys think?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

What about two or three 12" Eclipse Aluminums? These would pound pretty hard.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
I would not head in the direction that you are contemplating, while in theory it will work, in praticality it will have some issues. I would go back to the drawing board, have a rye or two (I think that's a great idea - 2 bad work is not over yet). Let me think on this a bit and see what else I can come up with and see what else is posted. The goal is a little SPL and a little sq, is warranty on the equipment important? I'm sure that you are aware that the road to two batteries is also going to include a mbi. Is that in your plans as well?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic