icon

Airbag Covers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chappy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
I am glassing my dash and I need a little help. I want to make new fiberglass covers for the airbag in the dash and in the steering wheel. I just wanna make sure that the airbags are still functional. Does anyone know how to do this?
Imagination and drive are the keys to greatness.
2000' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
if the air bag deploys......then it will probably break the fiberglass and shoot the pieces out toward the passengers..........not a great idea
what exactly are you doing to the dash that it needs to be glassed?
shawn62 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with audiomechanic, thats probibly not a ver good idea, it might be kinda dangerous (unless the airbags are disabled?)
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Unless you physically remove the airbag itself, I wouldn't attempt to modify or create any type of cover for it.
Mike
Chappy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
how does the stock airbag cover work? Isn't it just a cover hinged on one side somehow and held in with break away holders of some kind on the other side? I want to make my dash glossy black instead of the boring soft grey. But I can't exactly glass the dash and leave the airbag covers looking stock. That would look like crap. 
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
no, the airbag actually comes through the stock covers on most cars, so it wouldnt be too wise to cover them
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
If you`re gonna cover em, you better disable em first..if you are wantn to glass em, they will be useless anyway because it will cause more damage when they deploy than they will help. Be careful man.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
Chappy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help guys. I guess i will just paint the dash black then. I will just glass the trim and the speaker pods i am putting into the doors. besides, it will be easier that way, not to mention cheaper.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Might be better off seeing if the airbag/cover assembly is offered in black already. Was black interior offered on your car? If so it might be worth looking into.. Just an idea,
Mike
Chappy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2004 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
I am not sure if black was offered as an interior color for my Grand Cherokee but I can't imagine them not offering it. My origional intention was to make the entire dash and door panels look smooth and get the black to be almost reflective. I think it will be a bit much on the work side for right now. I will just paint it black and mold and glass the trim and heater vents. I am probably going to get rid of the factory rectangle air vents and install round ones from an eclipse.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic