the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How are new cars stolen?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcool 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  

misterjimbo, I think they were disabling the alarm by shorting out the flashing lights. I've heard rumors that this will defeat alarms, but flashing light outputs are always fused now. A lot of car thiefs are going the carjack route because it's so much easier.

Depending on where you live...I wouldn't put too much faith in the camera route. My wife's work had a videotape of someone stealing their camera and the cops wouldn't even come pick it up. They said it would be impossible to identify, apprehend and prosecute the criminal. I guess Las Vegas and Miami are the only cities with unlimited "CSI" funds.

bzzzzttttt
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
markcars wrote:
Hey chasesaccessori, that all sounds very interesting but what would happen if the whole thing (you and your driver, presuming as an example) were caught on camera/ tape with the entire action being recorded? Let's say the licence plate of the tow truck and the entire "job" was recorded on tape, would that not be enough to get the thief and his driver stop the fun and spend some time in jail? (If not face more troubles from either the owner of the car and/or the police and more?)
Nowadays more and more people and buildings are
equipped with security cameras, and I personally have installed a few myself for security reasons with a page signal sent on alarm-trigger or masked area detects motion, to myself and whoever want it. Those who have them just love it.
As for us, (my friend and I) we had to notify the police what and where we were repoing each day. I would not mess with anyone's property while doing it either(camera). The police and repo men usually have a good report together. Because we notified the police of where we were, when the cops were called they were notified that it was a registered repo and no action would be taken. For my friends safety we removed the rear plate from the truck, always! In fact our friends at the police station suggested it to us.
If I was filmed, who cares! Like the before reply stated, most videos can't be used in court because of bad quality and is useless unless you know the person or the police have them on file.
You bring up an interesting point though that I forgot to mention. You never ropo in your own town. This helps with the recognition problem you hinted at. As for professional theifs', They're low lifes and dont care and are rarely out in puplic to be recongnized. The average everyday theif is someone you know or their friend. This I would put money on.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic