icon

subwoofer box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
I just purchased two 10" Phoenix Gold Titaniun 4 ohm DVC subs to replace two MTX subs in a Q Logic bandpass box. After removing one sub, I noticed that the box was a poorly constructed 1/2" MDF. It was obvious that the Titaniums would  tear the box apart. Can anyone suggest a site to buy a decent box. Also, should I go with a bandpass or a sealed box and what volumes?
LivnLouder by the paycheck
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
i personally like sealed better than bandpass. in fact, i don't like bandpass. in my opinion, they look ok but they sound like poo poo most of the time. the phoenix gold website suggests .55 ft^3 for "musical" and .3 ft^3 for SPL.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Were the MTX subs shot?  Probably because of the box.  Check the PG specs for a sealed box.  It should tell you what ft3 volume you must have.  I have noted that the expert consensus here is to avoid a prefab bandpass box.  If you feel that (bandpass) is the type of sound you want, then have an expert make one specifically for your new subs.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Q-Logic normally builds a really good box, perhaps this one had seen better days, nonetheless it has had it's day and bandpass is not the way to go.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

build a sealed box urself a whole lot cheaper and u know how u built it and what was put in it.... goto home depot a giant sheet of 3/4 mdf is like 15$$ plus the cut it all the lengths u need then just get liquid nails and some wood screews and some polyeurethene and ur ready....all thats left is to make speakers holes

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
i totally agree with flatulatta, is TONS cheaper to build yourself a box and its a hell of an experience too. i love making sub boxes, its getting to the point where i make awesome sub boxes and sellign them for cheap. the amount for a 4 x 8' board is only 20$ at home depot here in canada, glue is only 4$ a bottle, a box of 1 1/4" screws are hardly even 5$, if you have a silicone gun at home, a tube of white silicone is only 6$, trouble is you need to get yourself a saw, if you dont have a table saw, use a skill saw, canadian Tire just got a new straight cut guide for a skill saw which is very handy and only 50$, and if you dont have a skill saw, then get yourself a jig saw, lol i seriously have made all my boxes, cutting with the jig saw, its a hell of a lot more controling than the skill saw. but alot slower. carpeting the box is another thing you can do. its way easy to carpet a box and you can get w/e you need from your local car stereo store, i bought mine for 20$ for 3 yrds. dont forget speaker terminals which are 2$ a peice. so in total your only looking at around 60$, when a professional box will run your from 80-100$
xTimx
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  
go with a sealed box, build it your self. it's not that hard. and it can be fun too.
Big Dave
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

go with a sealed box...  you can build it yourself and have bragging rights on how good you are.  If you need help with the measurements there are a few free programs that are out there. 

sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
ive built countless MDF boxes.  its really easy.  lately ive ventured outside the realm of square and now im in the prcess of building myself 2 fiberglass boxes.  its pretty easy too, but alot messier.  and you can make them fit anywhere you want.  if you want to go this way, youll probably spend 100bucks and itll be totally custom.  if you had an audio shop build one for you, youd be more in the realm of 500-1500bucks depending.  just for a box.  anyways, if you want to check out fg, heres a couple howtos on it. http://www.e-kittan.com/fibre.html   http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
bfog99 wrote:
i personally like sealed better than bandpass. in fact, i don't like bandpass. in my opinion, they look ok but they sound like poo poo most of the time. the phoenix gold website suggests .55 ft^3 for "musical" and .3 ft^3 for SPL.
LivnLouder by the paycheck
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic