icon

subwoofer box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

The recommended box volume for a 10" Phoenix Gold Titanium Sub is between .3 and .55 cu ft. I will have to build my own box because I can't find anything that small out there with those specs. Most 10" dual boxes are .75 to 1.5 cu ft. Maybe I am reading it wrong and that is the combined volume. In that case .3 to .55 cu ft  multiplied by  two is .6 to 1.1 cu ft. Therefore a 1 cu ft box would be good for music and SPL. Anybody have any advice about my math.

LivnLouder by the paycheck
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have a quick question about building a box. I have heard liquid nails are the way to go, but how do they work exactly)? Thats about it, thanks.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

liquid nails is like glue basically...wut i did is layed down liquid nails for the whole box and went back and put 1in screws every in or so i stood on my box and jumped and everything and no movement...also i went back over every crease with 100% pure polyurethene sealant on the inside and some on the outside.... on my previous sub i had actually put the sealant around the sub as well... but decided not to on this one

icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
awesome
ok, now then:
as far as mounting the sub, 2 things:
1) how do you cut the hole in the wood, with what tool? I have a jig saw and a dremel tool that I think would both work, which might be better? (I will draw the hole with a compass i guess)
2) does there need to be anything around the diameter of the hole between the wood and the woofer, or just screw it in and its ok?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
I always use a jig saw to cut the whole jus because a dremall can be painfully slow when ou are cutting out a whole in 3/4 inch mdf. When you cut the hole MAKE SURE YOU DONT MAKE THE HOLE 12" FOR A 12" SUB, you need to know the diameter of the basket inside the mounting ring not the outside or else you will try to put the sub in and it will fall right threw the hole. I have seen to many guys do it. As far as your last question, you can use foam tape if you want, it kinda depends on the finish of the box as to wheather you need to or not.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
Some factory-packed woofers have a template included in the cardboard packaging.  There was one with the CV sub that I got recently, and I didn't recognize it as a template, and did the painstaking measuring and drawing the cutout.  Look for a cardboard circle fitting over the back of the sub.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, my sub is 9 1/4 mount diameter, but thanks for the tip
while we are talking about boxes, i have 2 other simple questions
I am going to be making a stealthbox for my explorer. I am gonna measure it out so that it is the factory recomended volume for my sub. But does the weird shape of a stealthbox affect the sound at all, as opposed to a square box like most are? I would think its the volume that counts, but just wanting to make sure.
Also, is there any trick to mounting the terminals in the box, should I try and make those as air tight as possible of course? Mainly will the little hole in the middle for the wire matter?
thanks
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

You are right, volume is what counts.  Actually, weird shapes are better than a perfect cube.

Make sure  the terminal jackplate is contacting wood and not the carpet.  Use a bead of speaker sealing caulk around its base and tighten securely.  There shouldn't be a concern with air escaping through where the wire is connected.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
awesome, thanks man
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic