Amp Calculations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soccer_aholic 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hey!

I am just wondering how you would figure out the RMS of an amplifier without a big huge test bench or whatever manufactures use.  I just want to know exactly what I am running and stuff.  If anyone knows a formula, please let me know. 

Thanks!!

Soccer_aholicAmp Calculations -- posted image.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
well, if its got fuses on the side of the amp, whatever its rated at, add a zero to the end of it, such as.. as 20 amp fuse would be 200 watts. That would be the peak power output that the amp would be capable of, before blowing the fuse, so just cut that number in half. that would be the easiest way to do it. but if you want the real, deal, just wait, im sure DY or Rob will know the answer for ya.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

Use the Ohm's Law formula P = E squared / R  https://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

With a DMM, measure the AC output voltage at the speaker terminals, square that number, then divide that by the ohm load that the amp sees from the speaker(s). That will give the RMS going to that speaker load.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
soccer_aholic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

Cool that makes it really easy...on my amp (Alpine MRD-M500) it shows the voltage and the current.  So that will be easy...cuz all it is the voltage multiplied by the current.  so that will give me the power it is putting out at that time.  So basically let me see if i get this straight....I take the voltage multiply it by the current to get the power.  I then take what?? How are your two statements realated? or are they.  Does one just give me power and the other give me RMS?  I am confused...I apologize if this is stupid and I should get it.

Thanks for your help and prompt reply

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

P = Power = RMS Watts..............same thing.

The reason you use a multimeter to make your own reading of the amp's output voltage is to see what  voltage the amp is making in the REAL world.  Don't just read what's on the amp.

Then apply it to the formula.  I said one thing, not two different things.

P = E squared divided by R        ..........or.........same as..........

RMS Watts = Voltage squared divided by Ohms

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
soccer_aholic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
ah! i get it now.  my apologies.  i knew it was there i just couldnt get my mind around what you were saying. thanks again for all your help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic