icon

Sub and Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mrhunter 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

Im looking for a decent sub and amp combo. Im not looking to spend more than 500 for it all.

Thanks

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
No offence dude but that is a pretty vague question, sort of like I'm hungry guys what should I eat or hmmm someone stole my tires, what kind of tires should I buy. You've left yourself wide open to what someone else likes, not what you like. I for example could recommend the biggest pile of garbage that money can buy, but you know what, I could make it sound good and perhaps there are some on this site that would say, well, forbidden says it is good so do it, like using a lampcord for speaker wire (someone actually posted that, I got a good laugh). Point is to suggest to us something other than a budget and give us a little more to work with. Like I don't like sushi or vegetables, dude I'm going to recommend a steak and lobster or chicken and shrimp + pasta. What vehicle is this for, what amount of trunk space do you want to give up, is their a cd player in the vehicle and does it have a sub out. Can the amp be yellow? A little more info is all that it will take to get some good info for you.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
funny man forbidden.. but yeha well all need some more info to suggest anything.
Quad L Handyman services
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
I go to this forum just to read what Rob @ Forbidden writes!
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Guys, you wouldn't know it but I am actually a championship smarta$$. I have to hold back so much on these forums when I just want to lay waste to some posts. That said though, this site and others are a valuable tool for all of those that post on them. I have no doubt learned something new here and will continue to help others learn as well. Everyone needs a bag of tricks in this industry, mine has quite a few but always has room for more. Nice to know that someone reads my posts, thanks dude.
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

Point taken.

I am also looking to buy a head unit so I will be putting one in. The car has an infinity system in it now. I listen to all different styles of music so I want a sub that hits crisp and clean. I really would like to conserve the weight and space and just run one sub with a small box if possible. Im not looking to sit at the stoplight and just rattle the hell out of the cars next to me. Its mainly just so I have some nice sounding music in my car.

forbidden 
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

It sounds like you have a chrylser vehicle. I would recommend a basic 10" sub in a small sealed box. The Lighning Audio Strike S3.10.4 is a great little sub for this and works in a nice small sealed enclosure. IT has a power handling of 300w rms so there are a whole pile of amplifiers available to drive this sub. Power matched properly to the sub matched properly to the box  = crisp and clean sound, exactly what you are after. Choose a good cd player, I will always recommend an Eclipse, make sure that it has a variable sub level preout. Say like the CD3434.

www.lightningaudio.com

www.eclipse-web.com

lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

Mrhunter wrote:
Im not looking to sit at the stoplight and just rattle the hell out of the cars next to me. Its mainly just so I have some nice sounding music in my car.

Isn't 300W rms more than he needs???

From a good sealed enclosure, if all he wants is to add some nice low end to his music, I'd say 150W would be good enough.

Since he only has a $500 budget, and needs a head unit, sub (+ enclosure), and an amp, the way i'd go about it is get a good head unit, and based on the remaining budget fit in a sub+sealed enclosure+amp rated at 150rms.

Don't forget you'll also need to take into account wires   and if you're not doing it yourself, installation costs.

Usually how loud do you like your music MrHunter?

forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
forbidden 
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Watts rms do not tell you how loud something will go. What it will help to do is provide for the lack of better words, more definition at lower volume levels, moderate volume levels and in this case a 3 db gain in output levels over what you listed as 150w rms. Thus, while I may contradict myselfhere in someways, yes it will play louder. Here in Canada is what I would do for $500.00 Canadian. (much less for you yanks).

Lightning Strike S3.10.4 - $100.00

Lightning Bolt B2.300.2 - $220.00

Prefab box (ewwww)      - $80.00

Install time                         - $60.00

Wire allowance                 - $40.00

Adds up to $500.00 Canadian. While the amp may be fugly yellow in color it is a good performer. I would probably change the amp and my investment a little bit and use a different amp but for the sake of pricepoint this is what I chose. I would also prefer a custom built box. Wire kits can be bought for who knows what price of the week can be found and must be of a size to match the amp. SO for his $500.00 US investment, what I chose would certainly do what hee needs and allow him the luxury of doing an upgrade to a different amp and custom built box and probably still hit his target of $500.00 US. I noticed on his original post that he wanted a sub and amp combination, this is what I quoted on.

Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

I am buying the head unit seperately so the 500 budget is for the sub/amp/wires/box combo. I can do the install myself.

I like to listen to my music pretty looud sometimes. Just all depends. When I want it to scream I want to be able to have that option.

Is the 500 budget not enough? If I need to I can up it a little. I want to make sure I get good quality stuff that is going to perform. I dont want to be dissapointed.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic