icon

Repairing Rip in Subwoofer edge?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
RTDopp 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

Ok guys, I am really in need of some help here, so hopefully someone out here can.  Here is the deal.  I have a MMATS Juggernaut 12", brand new.  As I was screwing it into the box, the drill slipped off the screw and poked into the foam surrounding.  It is not very big at all, and it's not an actual hole, but if you pull back on the rip you can feel from the back you can tell that it punctured all the way through.  What I'm thinking is maybe using epoxy to just seal it up so there is no air leaks and so in the future it wont get bigger.  I have some 2 TON Epoxy (the kind where you mix the hardner and resin), but am afraid that the epoxy may eat through the foam.  Does anyone know what else I can do to fix this, or know if the epoxy will really eat at the foam or not?  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!      

Ricky

kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
there's not to much you can do and i don't think that's gonna be covered in your warranty so i'd just throw it in and go, i don't think it's gonna cause a huge difference in sound
what!?!?! you want some??
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
No no no, actually it will indeed cause a huge problem in the sound.  A ripped surround will not only affect the movement of the cone it will also create an air flow path and your enclosure is no longer effective.  It will not only sound like crap, you can blow a speaker operating it this way.  Get the surround repaired.  DO NOT just glue it up yourself.  And yes, epoxy will eat the foam and just make it worse.  Do a web search for "Speaker reconing" in your area and see if there is a shop that can replace the surround.  If you do want to try and fix it yurself, go to Parts Express and order one of their generic foam surround replacement kits.  It will not be as good as original but it will allow the speaker to work properly.
Support the12volt.com
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
thats kind of funny that you did that. thats my biggest fear when mounting speakers. i always put my hand in the way(over the speaker) if the screwgun were to slip. if i were you i would send it to mmats and get it fixed right. you are going to put that speaker through hell and it needs to be at its best. if you had to repair it right away, i would use silicon to patch up the hole (front and back) and get replacement surround and silicon a 1" piece over the wound. do the best you can do. for piece of mind.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

Once again DYohn has words of wisdom. Do just what he said and you can salvage that sub. I know that sucked when you did that. When you mount a sub, if you will put the sub in the hole. Then move it till it's where you want it. Then mark your screw holes with a fine point marker. Then drill small pilot holes. That will make it so you can start your screws by hand, and when they are started good you can use the screw gun.

Big Dave
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
i did that with some infinity kappas..by accident...didnt tell my friend bout it and it still sounds crystal clear...but thats a 6.5
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
...........umm, I think your friend knows about it now!  Repairing Rip in Subwoofer edge? -- posted image.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
All it takes is one slight false move to stab a speaker sending it to an early grave.  I've done this twice(D'oah!), once to a Pyle(who cares!) sub and once to a Kove 10 that I loved.  In both cases, I used black silicon glue to carefully repair the tear.  The Kove continued to beat my trunk for 2 years before finally succoming to it's wound.  The Pyle sounded horrible with the repair.  I could plainly see that it was not moving properly and distorted very easily.  Now when mounting a sub I place a round wooden template over the sub leaving only the screws exposed, kinda like a bullet-proof vest for the sub.  My best advice, be more careful!
NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
I hate that sinking feeling you get after doing that :( I am with dudek38, I position my hand to take the brunt if the screwdriver slips. Thank goodness it was on one of my first subs, a Legacy 12" sub, and the repair would be more than the sub. I lucked out on using silicone as well, but thank goodness thats been the only time I have done that.
Tim-May!
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
hey there i did that to an infinty kappa 6x9 but i put a hole in the cone, Will that bake a difference in the way it preforms and what can i do about it.
Thank
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic