icon

Flamethrower Exhaust Made Easy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
old_mechanic 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
I just happened across this sight and saw an old thread about flame thrower exhaust systems. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BUY THE PREMADE KITS OUT THERE!!! They involve cutting spark to your coil to dump raw fuel through  you exhaust to be ignited by a spark plug off a secondary coil near the muffler. The raw fuel running through will wash out your rings extremely fast and ruin your catylitic converter.Flamethrower Exhaust Made Easy -- posted image. These kits just don't work proper at all with fuel injection. What you want to get is an extra coil, spark plug, small electric fuel pump, NOS fogger nozzle, some braided fuel line, a push button switch (only on when button is depressed) and another switch with a protective flip down cover. You split into your main fuel line and run that to the small pump and from the pump to the NOS fogger which  you will insert into the exhaust just before the muffler. You need to drill a hole in the pipe before the muffler and weld a nut there, making sure there is no air leaks. The spark plug will be inserted into the exhaust tip with a drilled hole and a helicoil. mount the coil near the spark plug. Wire it so that when the switch is thrown, power goes to the coil and one side of the push button switch. once you start the spark, push the button which powers the fuel pump and you have flames with no damage to your engine. Let the button go and allow the spark to run for a few more seconds - burns off any excess fuel that drips out. Make sure your fuel line is clear of the exhaust pipe and well insulated against vibration. When you go to turn this on also make sure that your RPMs are pretty high if parked. I wouldn't recommend this for backing off tailgaters, just for good clean fun. thanks- james
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Ok these are old school. You are right about the kits though.
I think you would be better off putting the NOS fogger after the muffler rather than in front of it. If you fill your muffler full of fuel you are creating a bomb on your car when you light it off Flamethrower Exhaust Made Easy -- posted image.. For best results, mount the spark plug and the fogger near the tip. Flamethrower Exhaust Made Easy -- posted image.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

What if your tip is HUGE like mine? My tip is about 4 inches in diameter. Wont that look retarded? I'll try to get you a pick of it so you can give me some tips.

Hersh

terryr 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
What makes the coil spark?   Putting 12V into it doesn't do it.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
spark plug
MECP certified installer
bigwheel15 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I read something to this effect in a hotrod mag, they said the kits suck too.
98 Snake Eater 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  
Diecastoms 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  

Yo dawgs.  Im new in town.  Help a bro out!!

If Im just lookin fo something to show off in front of friends with, and not tryin to join comps and shoot super flames, will a stock kit be good enough?

IF I buy a kit is it upgradeable down the line or am I stuck with it?

Here's the kit Im lookin at:

http://www.xtremesaving.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=114&products_id=491&osCsid=ad90205960cb58a509136e9e9cc6d0e8

tell me whatcha think.

rtcoronet 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

they used to make these things back in the 40s & 50s  without a nos nozzle. there is bound to be a cheaper way.

you difinitely don't want the raw fuel going into the muffler either.

bjtribble
98 Snake Eater 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
rtcoronet wrote:

they used to make these things back in the 40s & 50s  without a nos nozzle. there is bound to be a cheaper way.

you difinitely don't want the raw fuel going into the muffler either.

Back in the day, they either yanked on the choke cord or 2-stepped the ignition....

Either way, it will kill your engine and make it run rich....

I've been installing these things for years and injection is definitely the way to go since there's no engine damage or loss of power....

Rick

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic