spl subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bruno71088 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
spl subwoofer -- posted image.
I was wondering what you guys think about this subwoofer's quality. is it worth 100 bucks i saw it on ebay. it says 1100 watts rms do you believe it will really do this?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
In a word?  No.
Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
In two words, Bad News
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
bruno71088 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
thanks guys that sub is definetly out of the question i think ill get a pg titanium 10"
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
maybe 1100 KRACO watts!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
hookmeup2 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  

i was considering the 15" version of this sub also. this sub is made by power acoustik and is very similar to or above the MOFO subs. i've heard good things about the MOFO subs on other forums. The MOFO's kick @ss in ported enclosures. search  on the net for reviews for this sub from people that ACTUALLY OWN THIS SUB. some people are partial to certain brands and everthing else is junk.  don't let the discount price fool you. this model has been out for a while. that maybe why the price is so low. check the specs for yourself. this is only my opinion. i usually get advice from many sources before making decisions.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  
In defense of DYohn, I think he can speak from a pretty good point of view... any driver that claims 1100 watts better be able to back it up. Do you know how much 1100 watts is? If you plug that driver in to the wall of your house, will it LIVE? No?, well that is only 900 watts... Paper cone, no coolong vents, what appears to be a fairly long excursion, i would have to say "I doubt it"
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
hookmeup2 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 4:59 AM / IP Logged  

here are the specs for the 10" version of this sub. now what's wrong with this sub?

Dual 1 ohm voice coils

·Die cast aluminum basket
·Black wrinkle finish with diamond cut
·Cloth laminated paper cone with MD6 coating
·Black wrinkle finish front & back plate
·Large foam rubber surround
·One peice, 360º rubber gasket
·Dual Conex spider
·Tinsel lead woven through spider
·Chrome screw terminals
·2200 watts power handling
·270 oz. magnet
·3Inch BASV/Kapton hybrid 18 AWG voice coil
·SPL 89 dB
·Sealed Box: N/A
·Ported Box: 1.65 cu. ft.
·Tuning: 45 Hz
·Port Size: 3Inch (dia) x 9.25Inch (length)
·# of ports: 2
• 2200 watts power handling
• 1000 watts RMS
• 270 oz. magnet
• 3” BASV/Kapton hybrid 18 AWG voice coil
• FS 32(Hz)
• Vas 0.5 cu.ft.
• Qes: 0.359 • Qms: 3.53 • Qts: 0.23
• Xmax: 0.4”
• SPL 89 dB
• Sealed box: N/A
• Ported box: 1.65 cu. ft.
• Tuning: 45 Hz
• Port size: 3” (dia) x 9.25” (length)
• # of ports: 2 SPL  SPLW10

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
Are you sure of these specs?  The Vas is .5?  Doesn't look like you can build a box for it, to me.  Please double-check specs or post the manual.  It seems to me that the SPL output would be weak and unsubstantial for a $100 woofer.  I'll spend my hundred dollars in some different ways.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

SPL products are imported by Power Acoustic.  They are generic Chinese knock-off products designed to look good and with very questionable specs.  I have tested enough PA products to know that everything they make is over-rated by at least 100% and in general is flea-market quality.  If all you want is loud noise to disturb the neighbors that may or may not bear any resemblence to music, then for $100 these things are a steal.  But if you go to the local flea market you can most likely find these exact same products (maybe even with nifty CHROME PLATING on the basket!) for around $75.  They are nice looking crap and I for one would rather give my $100 to the crack head on the corner.

So that's my opinion.

By the way, combine that whopping huge Vas with the incredible 0.5" Xmax and I bet these guys CAN handle 1100 watts... and produce about 99db with it.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic