icon

Subwoofer Brands

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

OK, here I am back on the subject of subwoofers and after looking hard at several models I have found that for me there isn't much difference between Brand "A" and Brand "B", so I would like to enlist your help to determine what is actually good and what is nothing more than a line of BS. So, with that said may I ask of you to give me your thoughts, based upon facts and experience of the models/brands of subwoofers that not only will sound good, but will last long enough for me to get my money's worth. What brands should I stay away from and what brands are well worth every penny? Does anyone have anything positive to say about the non-mainstream brands such as Vidsonix? Is it crap or is solid stuff?

All that I am looking to do is to add one (1) single sub, either a 10" or a 12", to round out my system. I'm no bass-head, but rather enjoy overall SQ, so component quality is very important to me. However, I find myself in unchartered waters here and need your help.

As always, I thank you for your time and input.

Kind Regards,

Razorbacx

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

my rule is stick with brands you've at least heard of before...there is a reason you've heard of them...

if you're looking at an amp and the brand name is HungWow  or something...i'd avoid it

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Can't go wrong with JL Audio - you may spend more for the quality and the "name", but it will last you a long time and give you what you are looking for (near-equal mix of great sound quality + great spl).
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Stay away from anything named Boss, Pyle, Pyramid, Lanzar, Legacy...I could go on. For good sound quality you can't really go wrong with Eclipse or JL Audio.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Subwoofer Brands -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

Sweekster wrote:
Stay away from anything named Boss, Pyle, Pyramid, Lanzar, Legacy...I could go on.

Aren't those really "HungWow?"  Subwoofer Brands -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

kgerry, that isnt always the case,but usually is.

Adire Audio- www.adireaudio.com and Elemental designs- http://edesignaudio.com/ are inexpensive subs, and are high quality.  I recommend these two brands. 

From adire audio i suggest the Shiva. its a good all around sub, and for 125 it wont hurt the wallet.

From Ed, The old K series is going for 65$, and the new is $125

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
This will totally depend on a number of things, like the size of the vehicle, do you drive with the windows or sunroof open, what kind of tunes do you listen to, what is the cd player and does it have a sub preout with level control. Psot up more info on the system and the vehicle. Bump for the advice on Eclipse or JL.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

true Maxst, but i was giving a guide to audio virgins.... there are probably people out there that have never "heard" of Eclipse or JL ..... but more often than not when choosing between a brand you've never heard of and one you have... it's best to go with the product you've heard of.... there will always be exceptions to every rule....

like a newie shopping and buying Sony because it's a brand name he/she has heard of.... this newbie unfortunately doesnt know that the reason Sony calls their amp line Xplode is because that's what they do.......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
lol...i was thinking just that with sony.lol But ya I knew the point you were pointing at.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
You should add Alpine's Type R and Infinity's Kappa, Reference, and Perfect subs to the mix of quality good sounding subs.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic