Subwoofer Brands

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

To answer forbidden's question:

1996 Honda Accord EX 4 dr sedan (I don't generally drive with my sunroof open, but I do like the windows down...fresh air!). I listen to modern rock (Seether, Colorfade, Smile Empty Soul, Audioslave and so on.

And now for my system......Pioneer Premeir DEH-P550MP (3 RCA's including a sub pre-out)

US Acoustics 4050 amp (4x50 wrms)

JBL GTO635's in the front and MB Quart DKC169's in the rear. I'm going to change out my JBL's to a pair of Quarts later this summer...just love MB QUARTS!

I have a spare amp (Coustic 161SE) sitting around that I was planning to use to power my Sub. I know that it's not the amp of choice, but bridged and pushing only one sub (10" or 12"), it should do the job until I can replace that later.

I appreciate the advice thusfar, however, I would appreciate a little more regarding brands. I know the basic brands to stay away from (Pyramid? Come on...LOL!). It's just in my search here on the internet and the few subs that I have been able to actually hear the choices are literally endless. Do I need to go with a DVC or SVC? Would you recommend a sealed enclosure or bandpass? Will a 10" do the job or should I consider a 12"? I'm really not a newbie to the game, only when it comes to subs do I tend to scratch my head. Anyway, once again I appreciate your time and valuable advice.

Kind Regards,

Razorbacx

razorbacx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

And since I'm on this subject I need a little install advice as well. I am planning on relocating my US Acoustics amp to the trunk along with the sub and Coustic Amp (current location is under the front passenger seat). I know to run 4 ga from the battery to a 4/8 Dist Block to which I'll run both Power leads from the amps to. Do I need to run my grounds to one central location or run them to separate sides of the car? Also, how do I get my Power Leads into the trunk? I know that I can pull the carpet up all the way to my back seat, but from there where do I go? Do I need to remove a side panel? Please help!!!!!

Thanks,

Razorbacx 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

Your Coustic amp would power a single sub rated from 125-200watts RMS, bridged at 4 ohms.  Consider a SVC 4 ohm, to wire for a 4 ohm load.  For a single sub and your car type, I would go the 12" route in a sealed box.  You should get some good cabin gain from that trunk.  Personally, I like the Cerwin-Vega sub for a situation like you have (mostly because I use one in my family car...)and it does well with that kind of wattage.  Priced comparably with the Coustic amp.

For the install, you should remove the back seat bottom to send the wires to the trunk.  Grounds have to be a short length of wire, less than 2 feet, so ground to chassis metal accordingly.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
MAXST wrote:

kgerry, that isnt always the case,but usually is.

Adire Audio- www.adireaudio.com and Elemental designs- http://edesignaudio.com/ are inexpensive subs, and are high quality.  I recommend these two brands. 

From adire audio i suggest the Shiva. its a good all around sub, and for 125 it wont hurt the wallet.

From Ed, The old K series is going for 65$, and the new is $125

Hey thanks Maxst.  We appreciate the support. Subwoofer Brands - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

razorbacx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  

Remove the back seat bottom? I've taken a look at it and not sure how in the world I am going to be able to do that. Do you have any recommendations at how I may do this? Also, should the Ground Leads terminate at the same location or should I terminate them at separate sides of the car?

Thanks again for all your help!

Regards,

Razorbacx

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
You usually have to remove the back seat to run the power wire to the trunk. You should ground all of your amps to the same grounding point. For the best ground to the chassis try to scrape away the paint, if there is any, and clean the grounding point.
razorbacx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks cutomsuburb! Your advice is well appreciated.

I guess at this point I'll just have to wrestle with the back seat until I figure out how in the world I am going to manage to pull that thing off...LOL!

Razorbacx

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
razorbacx wrote:

Thanks cutomsuburb! Your advice is well appreciated.

I guess at this point I'll just have to wrestle with the back seat until I figure out how in the world I am going to manage to pull that thing off...LOL!

Razorbacx

Before removing the seat though try to remove any trim panels that go right up next to the seat and see if you can run the wire under it and into the trunk.

k1ngzz 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
audio bahn? mtx? mb quartz do they still existt?, kicker ,jbl
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
MB Quart make great subwoofers. Same with Lightning Audio.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic