the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

SQ System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

FZRaven wrote:
Not much
Rockford Fosgate
Audiobahn
Cadence
and thats about it other then what they sell at wal-mart.
I went with the linr driver to get a full 8 volts to my amp. as i've heard it will give you cleaner outpit from your amp.

"Not much" is right.  Where do you live, maybe I can help.

You do not "need" a line driver unless you are driving more than three amps or your line-level cable run is more than 20 feet long.  Indeed, you may add more problems if you do not set it up properly.  What do you mean by "a full 8 volts"?  Who told you this was a good thing or even desireable?  Many amps cannot handle that high an input voltage.  The PG amps you listed will handle a maximum of an 8-volt input with gain turned to minimum, but it is certainly not necessary to use one.

Support the12volt.com
FZRaven 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
I live in upstate NY way up bout 20 mins from canada.
sorry they sell memphis also i forgot about that.
Ok scratch the line booster.
also if it helps the midbass will be mounted in the stock location with some spacers so i can still roll down my window. the tweets will be mounted on an angle on the door.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

Memphis!  Aha.  Memphis Audio will outclass anything you have listed as far as I'm concerned.  Go listen to some Memphis M-Class components.  Any Memphis amp will blow away any Phoenix Gold amp in terms of SQ, every time.

I wasn't trying to tell you to scratch the line driver, only to make sure you were buying it for a legitimate reason, not simply because some salesman told you to get one.  :)  Anytime you add a component into the audio signal chain you add the chance for noise and interference.  So if you need one, get it, but only if you need to.

Support the12volt.com
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Just some of my suggestions: Go with Memphis for your amps instead of Phoenix Gold and maybe look at using an Eclipse head-unit instead of an alpine if you can. I'm sure someone on this forum can help you out with that.
FZRaven 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Well i tink the only thing i might change about the system is the amps and the comps. i listened to them before when i was at the shop and they do sound good. But as for the sub i'm gunna stick with the brahma. also the amp i wa looking at is 1500w at 2ohms and 750w at 4, The subs gunna be inverted in a 1 cu/ft box, the box will prolly turn out a little smaller then 1 cu/ft with all the braces in there. so this should provide about the right amount of power right? Also does inverting it affect sound quality at all? I really want to invert it, so people can see this monster when i open my trunk.
FZRaven 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well i went over the the audio shop and talked with the guys there and this is what we came up with.
HU
Alpine CDA-9830
Sub Amp
Memphis 16-MC1500D 519$
750x1 4ohm
1500x1 2ohm
Comp Amp
Memphis 16-MC3004 260$
75x4 4ohm
115x4 2ohm
Components
Memphis MClass 6 1/2 349$ + 20% discount
Sub
Adire Brahma 12" in a 1 cu/ft sealed box
Grand Total
1977$
This is before wire, enclosure and new alt cost.
I have 2500$ to spend so i think it should fall within my range.
From what i've read on the adire site with a 1 cu/ft box 750 should do very nicely.
One question i did have is this, does inverting a sub affect how much power it can handle?
DYohn 
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

re: inverting a sub.  If the enclosure is the proper size, the only effect inverting a sub has is it is easier to damage it  because the moving parts are sticking out into the air.  Keep sharp metal things away from it and keep a can of compressed air handy (so you can keep it clean) and it shuld be fine.

Good choices on your system, BTW.  Did you like the sound of the Memphis comps?  They are very neutral to my ears, much like Dynaudio components.

Support the12volt.com
FZRaven 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the comps sounded very good. Both the installers at the shop use the same comps in there cars.
aflaten 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

I agree with haemphyst that the ID horn loaded tweeters are not the greatest for SQ, especially not for imaging.  Placement is HIGHLY critical and a slight off-axis position will result in very noticable rolloff and harshness above 3500 Hz.  A much better choice for SQ would be a dome tweeter, prefereably a soft dome of you really want smooth response and flat frequency response (not always the best sounding in a car, granted, but the best performance on the trusty RTA!)

The Alpine HU should be sufficient as long as you don't push it towards max output, and it matches up nicely as high mid-level equipment with the PG amps.  If you go for better amps, then I agree that an Eclipse or Nakamichi HU would sound a LOT better.  Why do you feel you will need a line driver?

I don't think this guy has any experience with horns or knows anything about car audio.  Horns are as easy as it gets for good sq, one thing needed for horns, an eq don't use them unless you have eq.  Horns are great, they give PERFECT imaging without a perfect install. Another benefit horns a very efficient morso than your conventional soft dome tweeter crap.  I have used horns in several installs and had very good luck, i have used cd1e's, cd1e mini's, and cd1 pro's.  Anyway don't give up on horns yet your first list of equipment looked pretty good, I would stay away from the bramha they are junk, I would look twoards imagedynamics for a sub, or check out the peerless xls car,  If you are building an sq system these two subs will give you the best result with less work

DYohn 
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Excuse me?  I must admit I don't use horns in car audio and cannot recomend them, but that's because in a near-field situation like a car they are a very poor choice and if not installed properly with the perfect crossover they sound like crap.  They are much more directional than cone or dome speakers, and the off-axis coloration due to narrow dispersion angles makes positioning very critical.  They are, as you say, more efficient than other types in general, but they are also much more harsh and sharp sounding, almost as harsh as a piezo tweeter.  In my professional opinion horns are more suited to sound reinforcement that any near-field monitoring application.  I do like your suggestion about Peerless, they make great loudspeakers.  However saying Image Dynamics is measurably better than Adire is uninformed.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic