SQ System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aflaten 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Excuse me?  I must admit I don't use horns in car audio and cannot recomend them, but that's because in a near-field situation like a car they are a very poor choice and if not installed properly with the perfect crossover they sound like crap.  They are much more directional than cone or dome speakers, and the off-axis coloration due to narrow dispersion angles makes positioning very critical.  They are, as you say, more efficient than other types in general, but they are also much more harsh and sharp sounding, almost as harsh as a piezo tweeter.  In my professional opinion horns are more suited to sound reinforcement that any near-field monitoring application.  I do like your suggestion about Peerless, they make great loudspeakers.  However saying Image Dynamics is measurably better than Adire is uninformed.

Ha you need to do some car stereo work instead of read about it.  The conventional tweeter sq people would cross at somewhere around 2-2.5k  and you want to put power on your mid or what it to sound decent for that matter you don't want it playing that high, with you mid playing that high it creates cone break up which sounds like bad if you know what you are listen for, but you might ask your self how can i cross my mid off lower with out sacraficing performance?  The answer is horns, plan and simple my mini's i have playing down to 750hzSQ System - Page 3 -- posted image..  Now you guys with tweets can't run that low, anyways done arguing gets nowhere because you are simple minded, the brahma is junk plain and simple

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Whatever, dude.  You know nothing about me, and from your post it sounds like your agenda here is to promote brands not knowledge.  When you get a little time in the real world yourself, come on back.
Support the12volt.com
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hey aflaten, don't call people you don't even know simple minded. You don't know where Dyohn is coming from or what experience he has. Calling him simple minded is just ignorant. There's a reason he has over 1800 posts. And no the Adire Audio Brahma is not junk. Just because people don't agree with you, don't go disrespecting them.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

aflaten wrote:
I would stay away from the bramha they are junk, I would look twoards imagedynamics for a sub,

You really need to explain yourself here.  Considering the Brahma wins in both SQ and SPL competitions, you can not call it junk. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

aflaten 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not even going to bother explaining myself you guys are the way you are and i am the way i am.  I don't like the brahma it is junk worst thing to come out of adire, they don't sound good in anything, don't take any power especially for a pretty beefy sub, This guy came to our shop with a brahma 15 3 cubes tuned to 30hz I thought lets put this thing on the meter, got the meter out  he was doing 30-40hz burps with a jbl bp 1200.1 on it, that thing didn't know what to do so it just bottomed out, I don't know how anyone could like them.  Lets look at RE we took an se 10 there entry level sub put it in the wall box pluged it in and walked away we let it go in the wall for 15minutes and then unpluged it "thought it was enough torture for one day" that sub is still working to this day, with impedence drop, and tuning this sub was getting 1700 watts of wall socket a brahma can't take that for a burp.  Another thing my idq 62's to people who don't know they 6.5 midbass 2ohm i am running an old rf 1100a2 i have had the amp shutdown on me several times, i am putting at least 400 watts per mid, there isn't to many mids that can take that kind of abuse.  And for this guy who posted above me, come on at finals last year when i was there, there were guys winning with crunch equipment so don't give me that it wins this and that.
aflaten 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
So I must say i do like this site it is very cool, should advertise it alittle alot of people would come.  I stumbled upon tonight and thought it was cool i am going to tell my freinds about it.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
Speaking of getting a life, aflaten, why don't you send me your address, so I can mail you a quarter, and then you should be able to afford one. I can gaurantee you that there are several people here on this board (DYohn, forbidden, Steven Kephart and myself included) that know WAY more than you do, and they are not just SAYING it... they have the practical experience to back it up. It sounds to me like you are too young to realize that you DON'T know everything, and you are just spouting off... I used to be like that, then I learned I don't know everything, and started to listen, and do you know what? It works. You might try it out for a day or two, (or even a YEAR, with your attitude) and THEN come back here. I promise you, listening works. I would just like to add this: compression drivers are good for NOTHING other than sound reinforcement, and if you ever listened to a TRUE high end system, and hadn't blown your eardrums with HLCD's, you would know that I can speak from experience. Compression drivers are NOT good for near field applications - PERIOD!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

aflaten wrote:
   don't take any power especially for a pretty beefy sub,

Well Richard Clark burped one with 32 kilowatts of power before the Brahma started to show audible distress.  Scottie Johnson runs 9 kilowatts per Brahma and has never blown a voice coil.  We have many people out there with huge amounts of power that don't have any problems.  Most likely your experience was with someone who didn't know what they were doing.

aflaten wrote:
 This guy came to our shop with a brahma 15 3 cubes tuned to 30hz I thought lets put this thing on the meter, got the meter out  he was doing 30-40hz burps with a jbl bp 1200.1 on it, that thing didn't know what to do so it just bottomed out, I don't know how anyone could like them.

Are you sure you weren't hearing clipping?  The XBL^2 motor used on the Brahma let's you know if your sub is clipping much earlier than standard motor topologies.  Considering the Brahma has more linear excursion than most other subs on the market, my guess is clipping is what you heard.

aflaten wrote:
Lets look at RE we took an se 10 there entry level sub put it in the wall box pluged it in and walked away we let it go in the wall for 15minutes and then unpluged it "thought it was enough torture for one day" that sub is still working to this day, with impedence drop, and tuning this sub was getting 1700 watts of wall socket a brahma can't take that for a burp.

In the right enclosure, the Brahma could handle a wall outlet too.  What you do is build the enclosure so the impedance peak is at 60 Hz.  Then there might only be a couple hundred watts going into it.  Nice trick, but doesn't prove anything.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
aflaten-   When you walk into somebody's house, be respectful.  You are never too young or too old to learn this important human quality.  Online anonymity doesn't allow behavior you otherwise wouldn't show.  Your future relationships are important, both personal and business, and will improve with your use of simple and common courtesy.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  

aflaten, was that the finals at your local county fair you speak of? SQ System - Page 3 -- posted image.

There are people on these forums who are very qualified to speak about the subject of car audio. But if you'll notice, even with all of their experience, they are open to discussion and debate. This helps them out by learning new things and passing on their first-hand knowledge, and it also helps those of us who don't know as much. So show a little humility and maturity and you might learn a thing or two from them.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic