SQ System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DanWiggins 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

You may not know me, but I do have some inside knowledge of the Brahma, since I'm the individual who designed it.  Perhaps I can shed a bit of light here...

Aflaten, the problem was most likely the amp clipping.  You may not be aware, but the Brahma is a "bottomless" design.  The voice coil is barely over 1" long, and at rest is well within the space of the top plate.  With 2.25" of magnet below it, you'd have to push your Brahma to 60mm before you could bottom it.  Since the suspension locks up hard are ~33mm, there is zero chance you were bottoming the driver.  It's not physically possible.

Now, when you clip a typical sub, it typically sounds like a thud.  When you clip a midrange/midbass it sounds like a clack - the higher frequencies of the clip come through the midrange really well.  The Brahma is a very wideband subwoofer; with the low inductance, it has no problems reproducing frequencies up to the 3-5 kHz range.  That means clips are really well reproduced.

Some may know Marshall Joyner - he's won lots of state championships, and top 3 world finals finishes with Brahmas and Tempests.  When he first installed his Brahmas and cranked them up, he thought someone took a shot at him.  The crack from the clipping of the amp was so loud and clear, it was unlike anything he had heard before.  And Marshall has a bit of experience - he's not only state/top 3 world champ multiple times, but holds many SPL records in MECA.

As far as the ability to sound good, I'd recommend talking to Bob Beatty.  Bob is the two time reigning world champion in SLAP dBQ - SPL and SQ count equally.  He runs a Brahma 12 in 1 cubic foot sealed in his BMW, and regularly hits 141-142 dB.  And the SQ is good enough he consistently gets 10s on subbass/bass reproduction.

Additionally, there will be a couple of top-notch car audio legends coming out with systems throughout this year who have chosen to run Adire gear.  These are individuals who could ask any company for product and get it, but after listening and checking out everything, they've chosen Adire.

Lastly, about SPL...;)  Scottie Johnson is not only a multiple-time World record holder and world champ, he's done it in multiple classes.  He runs Brahma Extremes right now in his SPL van, and just won another competition and set a new MECA record with 7 stock Brahma 15s.

Brahmas are different - the flat BL curve is really something that takes some understanding to fully utilize.  The drivers are considerably more efficient than anything else out there, especially at higher excursions.  Efficiency is all BL and mass; mass doesn't change as you move in and out, but in standard drivers BL does (it rolls off as you move away from the center/rest position).  Making the BL flat over stroke means the efficiency of the driver does not change as it moves, and means you need less power than typically you would expect, to get a given output.

So, is the Brahma junk?  I'd say there is enough hard evidence out there - and thousands of happy users - that the answer would be no.  An individual install may have some issues and may need some tuning, but that is the install, not the driver.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you for your post, Mr. Wiggins.  Your input here is welcome any time!

re: the "bottomless design."  That is brilliant, and it has to be an expensive approach.  60mm of Xmax???   That's 10mm more than the Seismic 8196.  Sounds as if the Brahma might be a perfect candidate for a down-firing design.  I've used your Tumult loaded this way to great effect in a home theatre installation and measured flat response to 18Hz and -3db at 12Hz.  Amazing.  Your AV8 is one of the best midwoofers I've used, by the way.  Right up there in linearity and voicing with anything from Morel or Dynaudio or Aura.

Sorry, I guess I'm being a fan.  :)

Support the12volt.com
FZRaven 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your guys help. And on the horns i had 2 reasons for not using them, you guys recommendations and the fact i really have no space for them. I should be ordering my gear pretty soon, i'll be sure to post picks of my install as soon as i can.
geolemon 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
re: the "bottomless design."  That is brilliant, and it has to be an expensive approach.  60mm of Xmax???   That's 10mm more than the Seismic 8196.
I think you were slightly misunderstanding both the numbers that Dan was using in making his point...

The Brahma's Xmax is 27.5mm... that's the limit of it's [i]linear[/i] performance.

The Xmech is about 33mm, which is the physical limit of the drivers motion... where it reaches a hard-stop.
Both of these numbers are [i]one way[/i] excursion numbers, not peak-to-peak.
Dan was simply saying that the sub would need to be able to reach over 60mm of rearward travel in order for the former to strike the back plate... a situation that's impossible due to the 33mm Xmech. SQ System - Page 4 -- posted image.

The Seismic that you quote (isn't that the same as the old Aura 1808?  Underhung driver, neo, right?) I believe has a one-way Xmax of 18mm one-way... considerably less than the 27.5 of the Brahma, and nowhere near 60mm, unless you are talking about Xmech... and using a peak-to-peak number at that?  SQ System - Page 4 -- posted image.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
Gotcha.  Sounds like amazing performance for a 12" driver.  Yes, the Siesmic is the commercial version of the Aura 1808 and has p-p Xmax of 39mm with Xmech (one way) of 27mm.  It's one of the best performing down-firing subs I know of.
Support the12volt.com
sandt38 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hello All. I am Seth, owner of Sound Foundations, an authorized Adire dealer. I was asked to come and shed some light on the subject of Brahmas.
The most important thing I feel that should be addressed regaurding this post is that the Brahma most definately did not bottom out. I would dare say the driver sounded bad simply due to install. The issue of "bottoming" was likely either severe clipping, or a leak in the enclosure. I know, the enclosure is ported and therefor a leak will not affect it, but that is simply incorrect. A leak in a ported box will cause the driver to unload (as if below tuning frequency) creating a "popping" sound. One thing we need to keep in mind is, with a ported enclosure there is almost twice the internal pressure in the box compared to a sealed driver. Remember, at tuning, the driver and port are 180 degrees out of phase. The inrush of air occurs at the same time as the inward movement of the cone. So we have tremendous pressures in the box.
I have a ton of experiance with the Brahma. I owned one of the first MKIs before I was a dealer, and beat the poor thing like a red headed stepchild ;). My MKI saw ~1700 watts daily in both ported and sealed enclosures. The only time I was able to come close to bottoming the unit was when I had a 1700 watt burp with a 6Db 20Hz tone in an enclosure tuned to 24Hz and my subsonic set at 10HzSQ System - Page 4 -- posted image. . The driver didn't bottom when it unloaded (and you should have seen it movin' buddy :) ), but it did get awfully quiet when the tinsel pulled off the binding postSQ System - Page 4 -- posted image. . Basically, from personal experiance I can tell you, it will not bottom out. I soldered the tinsel back on the driver, and used it untill the day I recieved my MKII with no issues. Of course, I did correct my subsonic setting :)
sandt38 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
[quote]I'm not even going to bother explaining myself you guys are the way you are and i am the way i am. I don't like the brahma it is junk worst thing to come out of adire, they don't sound good in anything, don't take any power especially for a pretty beefy sub, This guy came to our shop with a brahma 15 3 cubes tuned to 30hz I thought lets put this thing on the meter, got the meter out he was doing 30-40hz burps with a jbl bp 1200.1 on it, that thing didn't know what to do so it just bottomed out, I don't know how anyone could like them. Lets look at RE we took an se 10 there entry level sub put it in the wall box pluged it in and walked away we let it go in the wall for 15minutes and then unpluged it "thought it was enough torture for one day" that sub is still working to this day, with impedence drop, and tuning this sub was getting 1700 watts of wall socket a brahma can't take that for a burp. Another thing my idq 62's to people who don't know they 6.5 midbass 2ohm i am running an old rf 1100a2 i have had the amp shutdown on me several times, i am putting at least 400 watts per mid, there isn't to many mids that can take that kind of abuse. And for this guy who posted above me, come on at finals last year when i was there, there were guys winning with crunch equipment so don't give me that it wins this and that[/quote]
Sorry, I meant to quote this post, but I see Dan and Geo stopped by SQ System - Page 4 -- posted image. Also, with regaurds to performance, in .6 feet I hit 144.6 and in 1.9 feet with an SQ tune of 23.5Hz I hit 147.2
kevinbo5 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
BOOOOOOOOOOOM! aflaten, You have been schooled!
Who wouldn't be a fan of Adire after that?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Wow you Adire guys are like horny bunny rabbits, your everywhereSQ System - Page 4 -- posted image. . Good to see the facts got straightened out. Aflaten,  your right this is a good site that would always welcome more people, provided it is done within reason. You have made quite an entance to this site that I am sure will not be tolerated if more come on board with the same approach. There are a lot of well respected industry professionals here on this site with many many years of experience behind them. I know for fact that if I am not available to respond, another of these professionals can take up where I left off and I am quite comfortable with them doing this. Sorry I was away guys, we in Canada had a looooong hot bikini watching weekend. Seems I missed out on a great pissing contest, damn.

Aflater, I would welcome your insight and experience to the site, many of us have almost 20 years or more behind us and still to this day continue to learn more about it, you would excel even more in this profession should you choose to take off the blinders and learn from the industry professionals that post here. The one thing that you cannot learn is experience, we have a lot of it and are more than happy to share. I 'll bet that that even though my bag of tricks is large, it will always have room for more, maybe you will offer one to me without ever knowing it. Heck, Dyohn found a new trick just last month but for me it was so old it was farting dust. If you are prepared to try and force a topic, do it with an informed and educated background before doing so, otherwise it does absolutely no good at all to anyone that may read it. FYI, Dyohn does know absolutely with no hesistation or reservations, exactly what he is talking about. His resume is written for all to see on his posts, should you want to know his or any other persons backgrounds, all you need to do is ask. Welcome to the forum.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
Heck, Dyohn found a new trick just last month but for me it was so old it was farting dust. .

And I'm a REALLY old fart!  SQ System - Page 4 -- posted image.  Thanks for the support, Rob.  And to everyone else, too.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic