the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

best sound w/Sony subs/amp setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
An AGU fuse is a round fuse (basically a glass tube with metal end caps). Forbidden and BangBang are correct, you need an AGU fuse to use with that holder, not a blade fuse. And also that the inline fuse goes between the battery and amplifier (within 18 inches of the battery), not the battery and alternator.
Here's a pic of AGU fuses
best sound w/Sony subs/amp setup? - Page 5 -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
djhaf 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

the fuse says 60A on it...

i know im asking stupid questions, but thats because i don't know anything about this stuff, and im trying to learn instead of having someone do it for me. am i missing something in the pic?           

djhaf 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

damn im slipping =\ i ment to say amp lmao, not alt... i dunno how i made that mistake... but yeah

so i buy the fuse, but it in, and all goes well right? let me see if i get this right...

that wire goes from the amp to the battery with an AGU fues. black wire goes from amp to ground. there's another connector behind the amp that says REM. have no idea what goes there. these damn things don't come with installation instructions =\ RCA wires go from the output wires from the head unit (pioneer P760MP) to the input plugs of the amp. connect the subs to the channels the way that wvsquirrel showed me... is there anything else, and am i missing anything? like i've said sooo many times before, thanks in advanced... you dont know how many problems you guys have saved me from possibly having =)

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
what you are missing is the propper fuse best sound w/Sony subs/amp setup? - Page 5 -- posted image. That fuse holder should unscrew on both ends. Inside it you should see a round connector on each end for holding the fuse.
And don't worry, there are no stupid questions except for the one you don't ask. No one started out knowing all this stuff. Good job trying to figure out how to wire everything yourself, it's fun to do (although it can be tedious at times!) And don't get discouraged if it doesn't work right away, you can always come back here and ask for more help!
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
the REM connection is for the remote wire. This wire is essential for the amp to work (it tells the amp to turn on and off!). There is a wire on the back of the headunit (usually blue with a white stripe) for the remote wire.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
djhaf 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

hmm... i know to get an AGU fuse, but i don't know how to figure out what size fuse to get. got any ideas?

wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
there is a specific formula that is used but I can't remember it right off hand (I'm not a professional installer so I don't have them memorized!)
Let me see if I can find it and I'll let you know
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I think a 60 amp fuse would do fine for you. The inline fuse protects your power line (based on the size), not the equipment that the line runs too (that's why you have fuses on the amplifier itself). Without an inline fuse you run a strong risk of frying your power wire if you pull more than the intended current through it (or if there's a short circuit).
Before anyone jumps on me here for the above statement, yes an inline fuse helps protect your equipment in the "overall" picture because it helps prevent problems before the current reaches the hardware. However, the immediate use of one is to keep your power wire from melting and/or catching on fire.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

(Nobody here going to jump on you, my man, you are A-right on.)  Fuse the wire to protect the car.  And I will add that you can under-fuse the wire, but not over-fuse it.  That is, you can use a smaller fuse if you wish, as long as it is large enough to equal the fuse rating of the amps that are using the wire.  This 12volt chart is conservative, and you can't go wrong following these guidelines.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
Here's some more info on fuses...
Basic Car Audio Electronics
There's another list similiar to the12volt list part way down the page.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic