icon

5x7 boxes/ home amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
galen_s 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have some 5x7 infinities that don't fit my car and i can't sell, so I was wondering how I can figure out how much volume i need for them if I build a couple boxes for them.
Also, since the speakers are rated at 4 ohms, what happens if I power them with an 8 ohm reciever meant for home use. Will it damage either the amp or the speakers? Do i just have to be careful and not turn it up too much because it will be easier to blow the speakers cause the amp is meant for higher resistance speakers? Thanks for any input.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

you want to use 4 ohm car speakers on an 8 ohm house receiver? Is that what you are saying/

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
How many do you have?  If you have four, then you can series-wire two together to make 8 ohms, and do the same for the other two.  5 X 7's are made to be infinitely baffled, such as their use in a car door or rear parcel shelf, so you won't find a formula to figure volume for those.  Just don't make the box too small.  Try maybe a cabinet for each pair about 20" X 8" X 12" (I'm just looking at a pair of old speakers I have here, that is their size).  Do not connect them to your receiver at 4 ohms!  Volume is not the issue with ohm load on an amplifier.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
galen_s 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
so what is the issue? What would happen if I connected the 4 ohm speakers to the 8 ohm receiver? Which would be damaged? Does it go the other way, hooking 8 ohm speakers to a 4 ohm amp? I'm just trying to get som clarification. Thanks
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
An amplifier will try to send current depending on the ohm load presented to it.  Most home receivers are built to take an 8 ohm load.  Presenting the amp with a 4 ohm load means the amp will respond by sending much more current through its circuitry to provide the power asked of it.  The problem, then, with too low an ohm load is with the amplifier, not the speaker.  It is the amp that will be abused.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
galen_s 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
OK, i get that, but what happens if 8 ohm speakers are hooked up to a 4 ohm amp, is it the speakers that take the abuse in that case?
stevdart 
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
No abuse to anyone.  A lighter load for the amp, and less power to the speakers.
galen_s 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
hmm, ok. I guess I'll have to get another pair of speakers or something, so I can wire my 5x7's. Except i won't wanna buy anymore. Hmmm. I;'ll figure somethin out. Thanks. I want to use them as speakers for my computer.
galen_s 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Another question, aren't the voice coils in speakers designed to have the flow of electricity go one direction? I just don't understand how wiring them in series works. I get the actual wiring and how to do it, but not what's really going on. Thanks
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

Sell em on ebay .. I think you'll be disappointed with a car audio coax speaker for home use.  I don't think it is worth buying another set of speakers.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic