icon

Best 6.5 set

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Alright lets hear the vote on these speakers, I want sq but loud enough and strong enough to take a beating in the midbass department
Alpine Type X Component Set
JL audio ZR components
MB quart Premium Series
Adire Audio Koda's
Eclipse 6.5 set sc8362
... anything else you can think of guys
Thanks,
Matt
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

MB Quart's products are very clean, In my personal opinion, They are among the highest in line from your list far as SQ, they have a strong midbass, but maybe not as much as some of the others.

Probably the best thing is to go to your local shop, listen to them and see which ones YOU prefer, its kind of a wide open thread, because anyone can give you their opinions and experiences, but what someone else thinks and likes, may not be what you are looking for.

djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
MB quart sounds like your best match
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
anybody heard the type x's?? or the ZR's??
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

The MB Quarts I have always felt were way too bright for my tastes.  This is even with the switch on the tweeter at -3dB.  So I recomend listening to them first to see if you like them before buying. 

I've heard good things about the JL components, but haven't personally listened to them.  I haven't heard any other speakers becides the Koda's up on your list.  I might also recomend adding CDT components on that list as well.  I've heard they have a lot of midbass.

Since I work for Adire, I'm not going to comment on the Koda's.  I hate it when manufacturers go into forums and start pushing their products.  I don't think it is right.  I personally believe in our products, which lead me to getting a job working where I do.  And I know because of this, my comments will come off as marketing our products.  So what I recomend you doing is go to other forums and do a search to see what other people think about the drivers.  I am very confident what you find will be good.  Unfortunately not many people here have experience with them, so a search here might not get you results.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

In my opinion, the Alpine and JL sets are in the same class, and the other three are in a slightly higher class.  The bottom line is LISTEN to them before you buy and buy the ones you LIKE.  This is the key, you have to like how they sound.

While you are out shopping for the best match to your ears and expectations, in addition to a CDT set as recomended above, try to listen to Boston Acoustics Pro or Z-class comps, Memphis M-class, Focal, Dynaudio, Diamond, or the ones I run in my car, the wonderful Seas Lotus.

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

You really do need to take a listen.  Even if you end up buying off the internet take a cd you are very familiar into a shop and demo the speakers before you buy.  I had my heart set on the Diamond Hex series based on internet reviews, but I went into the store and liked the Mb Quart PCE set for the kind of music I like.  (Jazz, Classical, limited Rock) ..  I listened to the Diamond Hex 6.5's, JL ZR, MB Quart rce, pce, and qsd, and the nicer Memphis components.  The Q series Mb Quart sounded the best I thought, but they were more than I wanted to spend.  I ranked the others like this:

MB Quart PCE, Diamond Hex, Memphis, Mb rce, JL

I personally didn't like the sound of the JL components at all.  I primarily did the A/B testing with Josh Groban tracks, so vocals and instrument separation were important to me.  The JL seemed to get his voice tone wrong and it was difficult to pick his voice out from the instrumentation at musical peaks.  Like I said, they may be great for different kinds of music, but I thought they fell short of the other speakers I tested.

Just my experience, like I said you gotta demo them on your music.  Good luck! :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
I saw no mention of Focal or Boston in anybodies post. Boston Pro's are amazing components as are the focal lines. If you wanna get high end I think Bostons z series are absolutly unbelievable but are worth a lot of money.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
ss586 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

I would check out a set od A/D/S components. Great SQ and in my opinion they have much better mid bass than the MB Quarts. Look at the 3 series.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
Defnitelyl look at Boston's Pro series (the 3 way set is really nice).
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic