icon

Best 6.5 set

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
Ive narrowed it    down to 3 choices ... the Kodas... the Diamond Audio Hex series, and the cdt carbon fiber EF-61CF... anybody know where i can listen to these in washington around seattle???
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

Actually Adire Audio is in Lynnwood Washington.   You can get our address on our website at www.adireaudio.com .  If you want to stop by, I can let you hear the Koda's in my car.  Just let me know.

Another option for you is to go to Discount Car Stereo in Kent.  They are a dealer and have the Koda's on display.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

mobile E 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hey steve id love to come down to Adire or something..... Alright well gimme a holler at g1guitarguy@msn.com

thanks     Best 6.5 set - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

You can pretty much stop by any time on weekdays between 10-6.  We can show you around and let you hear and see some really cool toys.  This includes the ultimate driver, the Parthanon.  Here's some info on it: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dan/Parthenon/ Best 6.5 set - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

mobile E 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
That driver looks insane.... But do i stop by the main office??
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
This includes the ultimate driver, the Parthanon.  Here's some info on it: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dan/Parthenon/ Best 6.5 set - Page 2 -- posted image.

OK, I'll bite.  Any plans to market this monster? 

FWIW, that motor assembly looks very much like a (at the time) top-secret US Navy ULF (ultra-low frequency) transducer I helped test in 1981 on a submarine.  The theory was to use the same long-distance ultra-low (like 6Hz) tones that whales use to talk to each other over the entire length of the North and South American continents.  As I recall, the test mule we used required about 10Kw of effective audio energy... but if you were near it's radiating surface while it was operating at full power you could lose control of your bowels...

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  

mobile E wrote:
That driver looks insane.... But do i stop by the main office??

Yes.  The best place to go is suite 102.  It is the second door on the building.  We are in suite 101,102, and 105.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

OK, I'll bite.  Any plans to market this monster? 

Sorry.  I didn't mean that to be a marketing ploy.  I'm trying my best not to do that on this forum.  I just really think it is neat, and wanted to show him what he has to look forward to.

We came out with a sub and held the Xmax record for a short while.  Then someone else would beat us by a little, and we would have to beat them by a little more.  This was designed to stop the Xmax wars.  It moves over 6" peak to peak, which no one else can match.  They don't have a suspension that can do it.

Unfortunately it really is too much for most audio systems.  As mentioned in the link, it has more displacement than 12 of our Tumults (the previous Xmax leader at 34mm).  It would work very well in SPL applications, live systems, or even at movie theaters.  You may see them showing up a little later in the year in places I can't mention yet.  But it won't be marketed like our other drivers.  I don't know if we could get the price down low enough.  Plus I really don't think a sub needs that much excursion for a daily driver.

DYohn wrote:
FWIW, that motor assembly looks very much like a (at the time) top-secret US Navy ULF (ultra-low frequency) transducer I helped test in 1981 on a submarine.  The theory was to use the same long-distance ultra-low (like 6Hz) tones that whales use to talk to each other over the entire length of the North and South American continents.  As I recall, the test mule we used required about 10Kw of effective audio energy... but if you were near it's radiating surface while it was operating at full power you could lose control of your bowels...

Haha, I'll bet.  I think my boss mentioned that he worked on something similar at one time.  I could be wrong, but I think he mentioned it broke the 200 dB mark.

You really need to talk to my boss sometime.  It sounds like he has a similar past as you.  Here's a quick summary of his past: "BSEE, emphasis in control systems. 6 years of mil/aero design work focusing on flight recorders (voice and data) and sonar guidance systems. 6 years of research sonar system design and development. 8 years of Adire."

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
Sorry.  I didn't mean that to be a marketing ploy.  I'm trying my best not to do that on this forum.  I just really think it is neat, and wanted to show him what he has to look forward to.

No, no, I didn't mean it that way.  You are always very careful to point out your employer and only promote the capabilities of Adire drivers when they come up.  I've never thought you were on here simply to promote the copmpany.  You've never come on and posted "Brahma's ROCK, dude!  Don't even think of anything else because they all suck!" like some other "brand whore"s have for their labels.  Plus you clearly include the fact that you represent Adire on every post, even those having nothing to do with your products.  Very professional.

Steven Kephart wrote:
You really need to talk to my boss sometime.  It sounds like he has a similar past as you.  Here's a quick summary of his past: "BSEE, emphasis in control systems. 6 years of mil/aero design work focusing on flight recorders (voice and data) and sonar guidance systems. 6 years of research sonar system design and development. 8 years of Adire."

Yes, that would be great.  Maybe next time I'm up in Washington as I'd love to tour your facility.  My background is a bit more esoteric, though, including stints in professional audio (on tour with folks like Alice Cooper in the '70's) eight years in the Navy working for Submarine Development Group One and too many advanced degrees (WAY overeducated, but I loved going to school) to jobs in companies ranging from Quality Manager for Silly Con Valley high-tech to pure scientific research in metalurgy to being a professor at two different universities to car stereo sales at The Good Guys.  :)

Support the12volt.com
mobile E 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
anyone know where i could hear the CDT audio carbon fiber 6.5's in washington, i found out that magnolia HIFI carries diamond audio so ill go there for the hex's..
thanks
matt
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic