icon

Blown Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
braminator 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I justed installed a pair of Eclipse 8102's in a .65cuft box with fiber fill.  I am running a Memphis Belle MC1300d which will put 1100 watts in to 1ohms. The Eclipses are DVC 4ohm.  I wired them + to + and - to -.  This is suppose to be 1ohms.  550watts a piece.  Correct?   I had Infinity Kappa Perfects 10.1 in the same box at 2 ohm load which is 600watts.  So 300 a piece.  The Infinity's blow these Eclipse subs away.  I know from all that I have read and heard these Eclipses should blow my Kappas away in SPL and SQ.  This is not the case for me.  My Belle has a remote gain control and this would  make my Kappas hit hard and loud.  Not so with the Eclipse.  It barely does anything.   So how do I know if I did something wrong or if the subs are blown.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know for sure, but I think your box might be a bit too small. For two of those 10's you should be closer to the 1.25 cube range. Your power calculations are correct, but I would look into your enclosure.
..or, and I'm glad I thought of this before I hit the send button, are you absolutely certain all of your voice coils are in phase? If you take the wires off the amp terminals, and touch the ends to a 9 volt battery, do they both move out or in an equal distance? If only one moves, then you have one VC out of phase, or if one moves in the other out, then one whole speaker is out of phase. Check this out, and let us know how it looks.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

So you are running both subs in a single .65 cubic foot enclosure?  That seems a little small for most subs.  But then, I'm not familiar with the Eclipse drivers.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I checked the phase on them. Still nothing.  I even changed the phase on my head unit and nothing.  I am stumped.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Steven, you are probably a little better at guessing box size by looking at the short list of specs... I am on the wrong PC to pull up my exclosure software... hell, I have three of them, you want me to have them ALL running at the same time? LOL Here is the link to the eclipse woofers page, see if you can help him out a little...
They're at the bottom of the list...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
According to the Manual they can run in a .50cuft box.  Is the fiber fill causing me problems?  Not enough watts?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
You said you checked the phase on the subs, but try disconecting one sub and see if it gets louder. Mabye you have a coil outta phase causing the whole problem. With what you listed there is no reason why that set up shouldnt be louder than your previous one.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
.65 cuft is too small for those Aluminum drivers, especially if you are saying you have TWO of them together in that enclosure.  The published nominal T/S specs for the 8102 10" speaker tossed into WinISD results in an optimal sealed volume for two drivers of 90.18 litres (approx 3.2 cuft, Qts of 0.707).....  I also suspect, like suggested above, that you could have one VC out of phase...
Support the12volt.com
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
Well found the problem.  One wire was backwards at the box itself.  Thanks for all the help.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

braminator wrote:
Well found the problem.  One wire was backwards at the box itself.  Thanks for all the help.

That is called "out of phase."

Support the12volt.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic