icon

Blown Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
braminator 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
Actually it was called a wire fell out of the box.  and one was backwards. Boy do I feel stupid.  Please no comments for the nube.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
No slam intended, only education.  "Backwards" wiring is called "out of phase," since what it creates is one sub moving forwards while the other is moving backwards and they partially cancell each other out.  Don't feel stupid, we''ve all done it or something similar.
Support the12volt.com
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you.  But also when I slid the box back 1 wire came undone.  Thanks for all the help.  Now  I have to solve my new problem of my lights dimming. AT 600wrms and Infinity Kappas no dimming.  Now with 1100wrms and the Eclipse Aluminums I have dimming.  I am currently not running a cap so I guess it is time or I go back to my Kappas and sell these fine brand new Eclipses.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
No, it's not the speakers.  It's the increase from 600 watts to 1100 watts in your amplifier.  If your lights are dimming, your amp is drawing too much current from your alternator.  A cap MAY help in some cases, but the only real solution is to upgrade your alternator or go back to a smaller amp.  The Eclipse speakers will sound great (better than Kappas) with 600 clean watts...
Support the12volt.com
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Well I am running a Memphis Belle MC1300D amp.  My Kappas were SVC4ohms not the Eclipses are DVC4ohms.  So now the amp went from 2ohms 600wrms to 1100wrms.  I don't want to spend all this additional money on upgrades for this.  So I think I it will be easier to go back to my Kappas.  I never listen to it beyond a reasonable but loud volume. I also only listen to classic rock.  So I bought the Eclipses Brand new from an authroized dealer at an incredible unpassable deal.  But what did i really gain over my Kappas?  I know the SQ on the Kappas was good but are the Eclipses really that much better is what I have to wonder.
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Also I now have engine whine that I nver had before.  This is not worth it to me so these subs and box are now going up for sale.
DYohn 
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
You could also try wiring them at 4-ohms (series-parallel) which should take you back to a safer power level on the amp.  Eclipse Aluminums and Infinity Kappa Perfects are pretty much in the same league for SQ.  The Eclipse is a better built speaker, IMO, but if you liked the sound of the Infinity speakers more than what you are getting from the Eclipse, then by all means swap and sell.  But do yourself a favor and wire for 4-ohms first before you make a final decision.  Blown Subs - Page 2 -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I run the SVC version of those subs.  One in a 1.5 cuft. box.  They need room to really sound good cause the driver has to travel so far.  This configuration provids some of the best low frequency responce I have heard. 
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

Man I hate being on the west coast...... the aluminum subs need a 1.25 cu.ft. sealed enclosure with no fibrefill. If you are undersize on the box it will limit the extension of the sub and thus it's ability to reach down and play deep bass with authority. While Eclipse says it can work as small as .5 cu.ft. you car can also only go 15 km/h as well, throw the recommended spec out the window. These subs are amazing, if you now have alternator noise with these subs, turn the gain down on the amp. By changing subwoofers will not cause a noise problem, this means that if you have it now, you had it before, so getting rid of these great subs does not solve the problem. Your lights are dimming because the amp is now working harder and drawing much more current from the battery. Would I add a cap, not right now I wouldn't. The first thing that I would do is upgrade all of my factory ground wires in the vehicle to see what happens, then I may even ground the amp direct to the battery (may in fact get rid of the noise as well). What guage power / ground are you using, it had better be at least a 4 guage for both.

Dyohn has given you one great piece of advice, that is to rewire the subs to a 4 ohm mono rating. Do not worry about watts and ohms etc, try this and compare it so see if you are happy with it. Here is how to wire these subs as Dyohn recommended.

Wiring Option #2

Blown Subs - Page 2 -- posted image.

Now try this and post up the results for all to see. YOu have some really good equipment at your disposal, it is a real shame to see that it is not being used to it's capabilities.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

on the flip side Rob...when i'm dealing with customers at 8:30 in the morning you are still curled up in bed sleeping like a baby... and when i'm driving through 3 feet of snow at -40 C in january to get to the shop you  are dealing with an annoying little drizzle...there are far worse places in the world to own a business than the west coast of B.C.

the only benefit for us here is that we hit Miller time a couple of hours sooner than you do.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic