the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Blown Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

shaman wrote:
Yeah I run the SVC version of those subs.  One in a 1.5 cuft. box.  They need room to really sound good cause the driver has to travel so far.  This configuration provids some of the best low frequency responce I have heard. 

Actually the excursion of the driver has nothing to do with the enclosure size.  It is the physical parameters designed into the driver that determine's the best enclosure to use.  An example, one of our drivers has a lot more throw than the Eclipse sub, but is designed for a much smaller enclosure.

You are correct on that last part though.  A larger enclosure will increase your low frequency response.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

braminator 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

Ok here is what I have.  Eclipse 8454 HU, Memphis Mclass 6.5 comp set in front, Mclass 6x9 in rear fill. Memphis Belle MC1300D amp.  I have Kappas running at 2ohms 600wrms and no noise in the 6.5 comp set.  When I hook up the Eclipse at 1100wrms 1ohm I get engine whine in the 6.5s.  I removed a lot by shortening my ground cable.  The engine is just barely audible and only if you get up on the 6.5 tweeter with your hear.  Ok now for the strange thing.  My amp is mounted to the back of the seat.  When I pull the seat down all engine noise goes away.  When it is back up with the shortened ground I get a slight amount but only really at no volume or slight volume.  When I really start to hear the music at low volume it is not audible.  I will try tomorrow changing them to 4ohm load as someone mentioned. Is there a way to make DVC4ohms sub go to 2ohms?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

If the amp is mounted to the metal of the seat, this also acts as a ground. Dismount the amplifier to see if the sound goes away. If it does the amp will have to be mounted to a peice of upholstered wood and care must be taken with the mount so that the screws that mount the wood to the seat do not make contact with the bottom of the amp, next the mounting screws for the amp cannot go through the wood and make contact with the metal of the seat. This is called a ground loop and is the start to the path for noise.

There is no way to make 2 dvc 4 ohm subs go to 2 ohms, they will be either 1 ohm in an all parallel circuit, 4 ohms in a series / parallel circuit or 16 ohms in an all series circuit. My bet is that they should perform fine in the 4 ohm setting for you.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  

Well this seems like a big pain when I had a perfect sytem IMO to begin with.  I will try a few of the suggestions tomrrow in the meantime They are now on Ebay

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=5706816373&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
How much did you buy these for and how much do u want for them if they dont sell?
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

I just paid $650.  I know I won't get that much.  I don't know what to try to sell them for, thats why they are on ebay.

2 brand new subs and a box which weights almost 75lbs.  I have all paperwork and boxes.  You can make me an offer I ca not refuse.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

Ahhhhh, no don't sell them, you will lose more than it would cost to solve the problem. Remember the problem was already there to begin with so just by reverting back to what was there before does not solve the problem, it will rear it's ugly  head again one day. Take the time and solve the problem, a good system with good equipment is only as good as it's install.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
I shortened the ground that helped a lot but still no soultion.  It is mounted on a piece of wood attached to the seat.  What is wierd is if the seat is up I get the noise when it is down I get no noise. Can I wrap the ground in something to help.  Is there such a thing as a shielded ground.  What else could it be when the seat is up or down?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Where is your fuel pump? If you are moving the amp away from the fuel pump, this could make the noise go away, or if not just physical distance, then moving it to a different magnetic plane could be taking care of the noise... (don't laugh, it's real...) Don't sell em, keep em and fix the problem... Rob is right! Does the pitch of the noise change with the RPM's or is it constant? If constant, move the amp... it is getting interfered with by something electronic close to it. (most likely the fuel pump) does the noise fade out as you lower the back seat or is it either on or off? first situ - electronic interference, NOT power supply.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
The noise changes with the RPM's.  When I run my SVC Kappas no noise.  With these noise.  Also when the seat is down no noise when it is up noise. My fuel pump is close but how close I do not know.  I will try various things tomorrow.  If nothing without major work or more money they will be sold.  My loss someone elses gain.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic