the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Blown Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

Puhleeez don't sell these speakers, not that the Infintity are bad at all but it would just be a shame not to solve the problem and enjoy the system to it's real capabilities. It does not sound like the fuel pump is the culprit. Did you unmount the amp to see if the sound goes away? Remove the amp from the board and have someone hold it in mid air on the same angle as if it was mounted on the board, do we have noise? Fold down the seat with the amp still held like this, more noise or less noise? It could be that the cables are being pulled and shoved around as the seat goes up and down, this may be tugging on the rca inputs and breaking the signal path on the shield of the rca cable, something to consider. Let's keep working the problem for you, it is solveable with time and patience. If I have time to post I'll always offer up my .02, It's a little busy here at the shop today and I'm closed tomorrow but one of the other older distinguished guys (or young guy that knows his / her stuff)on the site can pick up where I leave off.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
braminator 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
I think I know what the problem might be.  I have the RCA's are on the passenger side but cross to the drivers side of the amp.  The power is on the drivers side but crosses to the passenger side of the amp.  They are crossing right at the seat back.  So if I mount the amp the oposite side I will see if the cures the problem tomorrrow.  I will keep you all posted because the sound is night and day.  I have slight dimming under heavy bass so maybe a Cap will go in.
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Problem solved, But unhappy.  I solved the problem by reversing the amp around but this put my Memphis Belle Logo upside down because of where my power cable and rca's are.  What was happening was they were crossing.  Now by turnng the amp around the noise is HISTORY.    So now in order to get my LOGO right I have to rewire the Power and RCA's or just lice with it since I do not show the vehicle and this is strictly for my enjoyment.

The Eclipse Aluminums are sweet. I have the slightest dimming under heavy bass from my wifes Rap and Hip Hop.  Can someone send me the link for the Big # or will a simple cap solve this?  Thank you to all for your help.

braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
I meant the BIG 3 fix.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

You're worried about a logo orientation?  OK...

Get yurself a high-output alternator.  What kind of car do you drive?

Did you take the subs off eBay?  Also you might consider getting them into the proper size enclosure...

Support the12volt.com
braminator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

I am anal about th little things.  I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GTeee of the fun

Subs are coming off ebay.  So my .65cuft is to small?  I have another one that is 1.0cuft. It just takes up more room in my trunk.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Like Rob (an Eclipse dealer) said, your subs require 1.25 cuft each.  In a smaller enclosure, they will not play as deep or at the SPL levels they are capable of.

Since your car is new, contact your Hyundai dealer and ask them about a high-output alternator, since you don't want to void your warranty.  If they say they don't make one or if you don't care about warranty, contact Stinger or www.4alterstart.com and see if they have one that will fit your car.  I believe the stock Hyundai alternator produces about 90 amps.  You want one in the 130 to 160 amp range.

Support the12volt.com
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

shaman wrote:
Yeah I run the SVC version of those subs.  One in a 1.5 cuft. box.  They need room to really sound good cause the driver has to travel so far.  This configuration provids some of the best low frequency responce I have heard. 

Actually the excursion of the driver has nothing to do with the enclosure size.  It is the physical parameters designed into the driver that determine's the best enclosure to use.  An example, one of our drivers has a lot more throw than the Eclipse sub, but is designed for a much smaller enclosure.

You are correct on that last part though.  A larger enclosure will increase your low frequency response.

So excursion is not a physical parameter of loud speaker?....  the volume displaced is an important factor in an air suspension speaker.. I was making a more general statement because in general more excursion relates to lower free air resonant frequncies and that generally rlates to a larger box volume, of course this is not true for all designs, but it is more of a general observation about acoustic drivers.  The dampenig factors are far more significant on the enclosure size. Or so I understand.

Anyway who do work for?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

Okay that quote got a little screwed up, my responce to his responce from my post...

So excursion is not a physical parameter of loud speaker?....  the volume displaced is an important factor in an air suspension speaker.. I was making a more general statement because in general more excursion relates to lower free air resonant frequncies and that generally rlates to a larger box volume, of course this is not true for all designs, but it is more of a general observation about acoustic drivers.  The dampenig factors are far more significant on the enclosure size. Or so I understand.

Anyway who do work for?

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
shaman wrote:

Okay that quote got a little screwed up, my responce to his responce from my post...

Here's a direct quote by Dan Wiggins: "Xmax isn't really a physical parameter of the driver - it's a "side effect" of a given driver design. Note that you can have the same 6 physical parameters, but Xmax values all over the place. And Xmax does not affect any of the derived T/S parameters."  If you are interested in this topic, we had a long discussion about the ins and outs of drivers.  There was a great deal of information, including one of the best descriptions of what the different parameters are and how they inter-relate.  Here's the link:http://caraudiotalk.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=2384

Now you are right in that excursion is needed to produce the lower frequencies.  After all, to get the same output an octave down, excursion must increase by a factor of 4.  So if you don't have the excursion to keep up, then you will lose low end.  But at low levels the resonance and low frequency extention is a function of the mass and suspension stiffness.

shaman wrote:
Anyway who do work for?

I work for Adire Audio.  We are a small speaker manufacturer, that is growing.  Here's our website: www.adireaudio.com

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic