icon

Sound deadener

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chan4202 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
I need some deadener for a cheap price, I know everyone wants stuff for cheap, but I need to cover an entire suburban, No clue on how many square feet, anyplaces to buy, what kind and how much would be great.
Chandler Martin
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
check out www.b-quiet.com and get you some brownbread. i too have a suburban and am using this to cover the inside. be prepared to buy a lot because you have a lot of room to cover if you are going to do it right. I don't know the exact amount because i just bought a lot of it and i am using multiple layers.
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
I would recommend RaamMat. It is available at www.RaamAudio.com, and is pretty inexpensive. 62.5 sq ft for around $100, and it is just as good, if not better, than Dynamat Xtreme. I have both in my car, and in my opinion I can't tell the difference between the two, they both are getting the job done.
I just checked right now, and they are selling it on ebay for $79 + shipping.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.fatmat.com...... another sound damping you could go with.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.mcmaster.com/ has a sound damping sheet, 12 sq ft @ $14.62.  Comparable to Dynamat.  See page 3270 and this is the line to look for under "Adhesive-backed damping sheets": 

Polymeric Mastic 0.070" 32" x 54" 0.10 -30° to +300° F 0.7 Black

9709T19

I ordered 36 sq ft, paid $11 for UPS ground shipping, and received it the next day.  It does the job of damping completely, so I couldn't be happier with it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart is right, that mcmaster stuff is cheap.  However, it's acoustic loss factor isn't as good as products like brown bread, dynamat xtreme, raam, etc.  Additionally it is MUCH easier to apply any of the above mentioned products.  Peel, stick, roll. 

mcmaster stuff NEEDS a heat gun to stick. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know.  I applied it in 80 degree weather, had the sheets laying in the full sun, too.  It stuck to the sheet metal better than the Dynamat I applied back in March, though there was a 35 degree temp difference.  Def used a heat gun with that Dynamat!  I found, though, that there were still some edges of the McMaster polymastic that wouldn't hold well on a curve.  But a shot of spray glue on the metal made the adhesive seem like epoxy.

I don't know either what the difference is in acoustic loss factor is between this and the rest.  But I do know that my car could be heard a block away without the damping, and the rattling sound around the doors and trunk were obnoxious before I put it in.  Now, the sound will blast you out of your seat, but barely can be heard outside.  And no rattling, at all.  That, my friends, is acoustic damping factor in my book.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

lol very true.  They publish those numbers for suckers like me. ;-) 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't the mcmaster stuff smell like a newly paved road?? Being asphalt based?
I want to put some [cheap] sound dampening in my car, but i'm concerned about the smell...
What's your experience stevdart?
forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
stevdart 
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

It has a bit of an asphalt odor when it is warm, installing it, but I have not noticed any odors this summer on even the hottest days entering either the cabin or trunk.  I have some Dynamat original in the car, too, and it is also asphalt-based.  If someone were to have stamped the Dynamat imprint onto the polymeric mastic, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between the two.  After I did the rear deck with the Dynamat, then had so much more to do, I was looking at having to spend about another $160 for enough Dynamat to finish.  But then I got a tip on this forum about McMaster-Carr, and instead spent $43 for it.  The site is very automated and they ship fast.

The damping doesn't have a tremendous amount of glue, but it is sticky.  Wipe the metal clean first of any dust, and in a few places I shot a quick light spray of 3M spray adhesive onto the metal for a better bond.  It has been covering the inside lid of the trunk now for a couple of months and there hasn't been any sagging or failure, but I did spray a bit of glue onto some areas there.  I just cut the pieces into workable sizes when installing, figuring if I ended up with some sagging the weight wouldn't pull it all down.  Because at the time I first heard of it I also heard from others that it wouldn't stick.  Hey, everybody, it sticks.  Just don't expect it to install itself...you'll have to give it a little help  :)

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic