PS2 110V to 12V?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
604customs 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

hi guys!!

has anyone converted the ps2 to 12v with a power inverter?

if so could some one show or tell me how!!

thanks !!

jc18750 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  
buy a power inverter, wire it to a switch.
http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=3281&item=5710325904&rd=1
plug in your ps2. flip the switch on.
then play on it.
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
This was from another post(https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=35570&PN=1)
This is what I did for my Mazda recently:
((VSTAR,
   Hey, man. Wanna super easy custom alternative? Why bother taking 12VDC converting to 120VAC, just to have a converter take it back down to 12VDC? If you have the extra cash to have 2 PS2 (one in house, on in car), open up the PS2, and take out the AC Power supply. Took me about 15-20 minutes my first time. Fortunately, the PS2 required 12VDC @ about 3.0 Amps. I wired in a 12V regulator with the proper capacitors and regulate the car's DC power (anywhere from 12.0VDC up to 14.0VDC) down to 12.0VDC for the PS2. I hooked up a molex connector so I can move the PS2, and ran 12Gauge wire from the battery (fused, of course), and power the PS2, 2 6" screens, and 1 7" screen. Make sure you fuse all the powers, too. Total cost for the regulator circuit was about $10 if you buy retail, or check Digikey.com. You have to buy more in quantity to save money, but you can offer to convert other friend's cars, too. Not sure about the XB power requirements, and I think the GC uses 12VDC (with the power inverter as part of the AC cord).
How is that for a solution? Just a little solder, and some patience, and you have a great video system. Email if you need anymore help. I have pics of my PS2 as I took it apart.
DXAV))
If you need anymore help, let me know!
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a good way of hard wiring it.  but you void the warranty if you open the playstaion.  If you screw it up you have a $200 paper weight.
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
True, true.... I don't have to worry about that though. And chances are, 90 days for a warranty isn't really that long.....
flexysteve 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

I rigged mine up to run off 12v with the regulator also. Its been like that for over a year with no problems. Taking apart the ps2 is very easy and to get the power supply is very very easy.

Would anyone be interested in buying premade circuits that just plug in and all you'd have to do is connect it to 12v and GND?

I'm currently working on getting the CD drive out of the ps2 and putting it in the dash with the rest of the unit in the back. (have the reset and open/close button working so far)

Steve

mouser14 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah sure. What would they cost?
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
i would possibly be interested as well. how much you charge for doing it!!
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
I bought a DC/AC power converter at pepboys that plugs into the cigarette lighter. its really small and ony powers one item. I think it runs 20.00. I opened it up and hard wired the power to my car and then hard wired the ac side to my ps2. Then I hooked up a switch to the DC side of the power. Then I tucked it away and it works great. Converting the PS2 to accept 12v is a great Idea but you have to mail order the parts to do it so I decided against that route since I needed the ps2 for last weekend and couldnt wait for the parts.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
are the voltage regulators you guys are using just standard 7805? IF so I would advise using some power transistors to up the current rating and disipate the heat a little better...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic