icon

Funky sub cone shapes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
Okay so everything I have ever used or installed in any audio system I (or any of my freinds) have built has been the typical round dish tpye sub.  I have seen alot of different shapes in the last few years and was just curious if it is possible for a square (Kicker) or a pentagon (sony) shaped drivers (or any other funny shape for that matter) to produce sound correctly.  I am under the impression that the parabolic/hyperbolic cone made of light rigid material is the best for optimal T/S parameters and minimal distortion. So then these funny shapes can't be that good, why do it? It would seem to me as an engineer to be a pretty stupid thing to do, but I don't build speakers for a living.  I would tend to think that these shapes are more of a sales gimic than any thing.  Whats the verdic on this stuff?  Is there any technical or scientific reason to make subs like this, or is it just over-processed crunchy erbal cunsumer crap?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

What a great topic of discussion.

I personally think it is more a sales gimic, especially with the pentagon and octagon drivers.  Kicker released the square sub to offer more cone area for a given speaker "diameter".  They rate them horrizontally rather than diagonally, so they have an advantage in competitions who decides class by speaker size.  But I see it more as perspective.  If you measure diagonally, then a round speaker of the same size will have the most cone area. Funky sub cone shapes? -- posted image.

I can see some issues with possible noises in the surround from these wierd shapes.  So this could effect the SQ of the driver without some creative engineering.  I'm sure it would be an issue with higher frequency drivers if they utilized this design because cone modes can effect the frequency response.  It may be an issue with these subs as well, but I haven't seen any testing on it.

But you are right.  A cone shaped driver has the most uniformly rigid cone structure for a given weight.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
whats wrong with a little variety? i think they produce the same levels as round subs. sony's look cheesy and definetely tried to copy kicker. you must admit, kicker made you look twice when you first saw them. and the solobarics sure are nice in tight applications.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
they are for people doing multi subs, and they look cool, how many chromed basket subs that sound like a bug hitting a windshield have you seen
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

mode shapes... now you got me thinking.  The mode shapes of a round relatively uniform cone would be for the most part concentric.  But a square cone cone would behave like a losely fixed plate.  It would have torsional mode shapes about various axis and so forth, the pentagon would be a vibrational mess.  This can't be good.  I don't how much this would affect the sound, but I would venture it is noticeable.

Not to mention the surround, a round surround is uniform throughout, but what happens at corners, it cross section enlarges so it would tend to be stiffer, etc.  There is just alot of considerations for a non circular cone.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
shaman wrote:

mode shapes... now you got me thinking.  The mode shapes of a round relatively uniform cone would be for the most part concentric.  But a square cone cone would behave like a losely fixed plate.  It would have torsional mode shapes about various axis and so forth, the pentagon would be a vibrational mess.  This can't be good.  I don't how much this would affect the sound, but I would venture it is noticeable.

I'm of course guessing, but I have a feeling it isn't too much of an issue with subs.  As I said, the advantage of a square driver would be from an SPL application, and someone else made a good point that they are easier to mount together (they fit tighter together).  But from an SQ standpoint, there just isn't any need. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

I've only done some real informal testing for my own personal curiosity, but I agree with Steven.  It doesn't seem to have much measurable effect in low bass frequencies as far as output.  The main thing that makes me nervous about non-round subs is the undoubtedly strange forces being placed on their surround.  There have to be some real non-uniform stresses in the corners that round speakers are not subject to.  Some formal testing would be interesting.

One obvious thing to point ut is that all the non-round speaker cones I know about are from low to mid-quality manufacturers and are designed for looks and SPL, not SQ.

Support the12volt.com
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

One obvious thing to point ut is that all the non-round speaker cones I know about are from low to mid-quality manufacturers and are designed for looks and SPL, not SQ.

What about Xtants pentagon subs? Woudl you count them as mid-quality, because I have heard that have good SQ.

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
I would think the pentagon would have a better sq than a square though
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
The biggest issue for the non-round subs is the nonlinearities formed by the "corners" in the surround. They're very different from the majority of it, and impart a fair amount of localized stress to the cone, making Steven's cone modes look really wierd. They;ll also have to be more heavily reinforced than a circular cone,since the "corners" will be more likely to crack and flex, likely making them heavier and giving them lower efficiency. A friend of mine did some FEA analyses on the Kicker square Solobarics when they first came out. Nothing really spectacular. The cones flexed and resonated in wierd ways compared to a circular cone, had higher distortion, and were more likely to fail. The circle is the best way to go for low distortion, strength, and efficiency. There's a reason it's so prevelant in nature. It's the Right Way (tm) Funky sub cone shapes? -- posted image.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic