icon

Funky sub cone shapes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

Funky sub cone shapes? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Heres what I mean by the vibrational modes of a non circular plate for those non engineering types.  I buy that it dosen't dramatically affect the sound for low fequency applications.  Thanks for the imput.

The "corner effect" of the surround definatly must affect the driver though.  Look at the sony for a minute...

Funky sub cone shapes? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Now if you divide the cone in half lef to right, the corners ballance each other out, but if you divide the cone horizontally, one half has more corner area than the other.  I would think this would tweak the cone as it moves.  This might create a rotational motion, the cone would rock back and forth a little as it moves.  I am just speculating here...  

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

Today I had lunch with Scott Atwell (CEO of Destijl) and Dan Wiggins (CEO of Adire Audio) and I asked them about this.  As they said, the square sub is a great design for SPL because of the reasons given thus far.  I asked them about the effect on SQ, and I was told it would be very minimal.  The cone modes would be a little different, but shouldn't effect the sound any.  And as for the surrounds, they wouldn't make any more noises than a standard round surround.  As they said, our surrounds start to pucker and make noises under excursion as well, but the driver is producing so much output you never hear it.  The same would be true with a square coned subwoofer.  Now the Pentagon, Hexagon, and Octagon cones are complete marketing.  You lose Sd (cone area) because of the part of the cone they cut off, but don't benifit from being able to mount them closer together.  So they actually hurt performance rather than help.  It is a marketing scheme.

Man that was a great lunch.  Nothing like sitting down at the Seattle harbor, just you and two great speaker engineers. Funky sub cone shapes? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Steven, that about put the nail in the coffin on this one. 
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
I think the questions about the surround were kinda interesting, because that very thing held the release of the Solo Baric off for aan entire year. They had the sub ready to go into production and then there R @ D department found they were blowing the corners out at high volumes. What they did then was play the sub at one frequency and then set up a strobe light that light up when the sub was at peak excursion and then went out when the sub pulled back. This made it so the techs could see what was happening to the surround. What they found was that their original surround, which WAS NOT RIBBED IN THE CORNERS, couldnt flex enough and was ripping clear off the cone. They found that by ribbing the surround they solved this problem and also all but completly eliminated the problem with noise produced by the surround. With that said, I cant believe nobody mentioned the triangular Bazooka subs, thats another great Idea (I wish you I could convey the amount of sarcasim in my voice as I typed that.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  

traigular, what where  they smoking?  yeah any corner of the surround whould have the stretch in two directions (normally and quasi-tangentially) vs the sides that only are stretched in a normal direction.  That explains the ribbs in the Sony above too.  But agian I would think that would make the corners more stiff than the rest of the surround.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic