< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SoCalBluetooth 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
lilboi wrote:
SoCalBluetooth wrote:
lilboi wrote:

I drive a manual. I don't want to car to keep on trying if i'm in gear. How long will the auto start try for?

Last time i was sitting in the car, left it in gear. And tried the auto start. The started to inch forward. I stopped it after 3 seconds.

2 seconds is the crank time following the directions I posted.

I don't understand what you're stating.

OK, Follow these instructions to program the remote start crank time for 2 seconds. You will have to turn off the engine checking feature as well.

Remote Start Crank Time

Open door, turn Ignition on & off, Press and hold valet switch.

Continue holding untill you get to 3 led flashes / chirps. then release the valet switch. Your now in menu #3 remote start options.

Within 10 seconds press the valet button 6 times. On the 6th press of the switch keep it pressed. The LED will now start to flash 5 times in groups of three. This indicates you are now at menu #3-5, the crank time settings of the remote start menu. (If you don't get the correct number of flashes don't worry. Do nothing for 15 seconds and you will exit the learn routine. Simply start over.)

Once you get the correct number of led flashes / chirps, continue to hold the valet button and press the lock button on your remote 7 times. Then release the valet switch. (You can press the lock button 6 times=1.8 sec, 5 times=1.6 sec, 4 times=1.4 sec, 3 times=1.2 sec, 2 times=1.0 sec, 1 time=0.8 sec and finally 8 times=4.0 sec)

If you hear one long unexpected chirp during this process, you've waited too long between steps and the system exited you from the learning mode. Just start over and after a few times you'll get the hang of it.

Turn Engine Checking Off

Open door, turn Ignition on & off, Press and hold valet switch.

Continue holding untill you get to 3 led flashes / chirps. then release the valet switch. Your now in menu #3 remote start options.

Within 10 seconds press the valet button 2 times. On the 2nd press of the switch keep it pressed. The LED will now start to flash 1 time in groups of three. This indicates you are now at menu #3-1 Engine checking on / off menu. (If you don't get the correct number of flashes don't worry. Do nothing for 15 seconds and you will exit the learn routine. Simply start over.)

Once you get the correct number of led flashes / chirps, continue to hold the valet button and press the unlock button on your remote 1 time. Then release the valet switch. Engine checking should now be off.

The reason you must turn engine checking off is that the remote start will continue to crank the starter until it sees the tach feedback or voltage feedback when engine checking is on no matter what you have the crank time set to. By turning engine checking off, the starter will only crank for the time you programmed in. The one drawback to this is you will not know if you engine is really running or not unless you are close enough to hear it.

Finally, If I were attempting to install a remote start on a car with a manual transmission, I would figure out a way to hook a switch up to indicate when the car was in gear. There is always a way it just depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it.

SoCalBluetooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Also with engine checking off, if you attempt to remote start and it does not start, the ingnition circuit will remain powered until you shut down the remote start.
lilboi 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
hmm... so the car will continue cranking until it starts? For crank time. will it still check for volt/speed? Also, for engine checking off, it will not show on the lcd that it's on?
SoCalBluetooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  

Crank time is only used by the alarm when the engine checking feature is on. Once engine checking is off then the alarm will crank for the programmed time. With engine checking off the alarm has no way of knowing if the motor actually started or not. It will assume the motor has started and display the exhaust symbol on the remote.

With engine checking off the alarm will ignore the volt/tach input.

Is this becoming clearer?

Daveyw8vey 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

SoCalBluetooth wrote:
If you can't find the receipt you should check out Ebay for a replacement remote. I've seen them for $75. I've also seen the "Companion" remote for around $60. The companion remote is a one way remote so no paging function but it does everything else the 2 way remote does.

I put in a bid for the new viper 479v remote, supposedly its compatible according to most websites that sell the remote and the auction.  Bid is at 39, hopefully no one needs a replacement that owns a viper alarm so I can keep it at this price, and if I do, its about 100 bux off retail price in stores =) Bestbuy would not replace it because they require an installation receipt which should have nothing to do with the remote.  Id understand if it were the brain which may require troubleshooting what not but the remote shouldn't not function do to installation but w/e.  If I win on ebay for under 50 bucks, I will buy a second one for the sake of emergency and kuz its like a 2 for one price wise.  Wish me luck, and I'll let u know how it turns out when I receive it

Need money to hook up car, donate now =)
lilboi 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
i might be bidding on that too.
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  

PM me and I will give you the# to call and get a 479x remote brand new with warranty for 84.99 shipped.

THE 479V is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE RS3.5. It is only for the viper 790/791xv. You need the 479x above like I just bought for spare.

boom, boom, boom boom....
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
YOU ALSO NEED TO CONNECT THAT NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH  SO THAT YOU DON"T KILL OR HARM SOMEONE. That's EXTREMELY IRRESPONSIBLE, and you should park with parking brake, and in neutral until you get the NSS hooked up.
boom, boom, boom boom....
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
actually i'm pretty sure all the 479 remotes are cross compatible.... i've sold 479X remotes to guys with Viper and Python alarms because they liked the carbon fibre look better and they seemed to work fine .....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
MBZ oe, you do realize that the remotes from the Clifford, Python and Viper Responder systems are all the same internally. Only difference is the color of the plastic.
And lilboi, when the day comes that you remote start the car when its in gear can you take some pictures of it after it hits a wall, another car or your house. I like seeing those pictures...they are always entertaining. Hopefully you don't kill anybody.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic