the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Suggestions on Basic Car Stereo Setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

You've pointed out the one benefit to a 6x9:  it can play _slightly_ deeper than a 6.5" round. 

Car makers put oval drivers in cars to fit a speaker in.  The oval shape is not optimal.  Physics people, please help me out here, but I've been told that the oval shape can distort easier because of the uneven stresses on the cone and the surround.  Additionally, I've always thought that the tonal quality of 6x9" speakers is poor.  Does someone have a physics related reason for this?  The crossovers on a $200 pair of 6x9's are generally crap compared to a similarly priced 6.5" coax or component set. 

Do you ever see oval speakers on expensive home audio systems?  No.  It simply isn't the optimal design. 

I think my biggest complaint about 6x9's is that the rear deck is a poor place for midrange / highs unless you're doing some sort of multimedia thing or don't care about having the best possible sound for your budget.

Quality car audio sound will create a nicely imaged front sound stage.  6x9's muck this up.  Furthermore, because each 6x9's will be further away from your ear than the other drivers in the car, the sounds from the 6x9's will be reaching your ear at slightly different times than the front speakers.  This is bad. 

Finally, even if you don't get some harsh reflection off the back glass (every tweeter I've ever heard firing into the rear glass sure sounds harsh to me), your 6x9" driver isn't exactly 'on axis' or pointing at your ear.  This means that certain frequencies the 6x9" driver produces will sound more pronounced than others from your seat.  One of the goals of quality sound is smooth frequency response.  I find that 6x9's in the rear deck generally work against this goal. 

Again.  I'm not saying you can't have a good sounding car with 6x9's!  All I'm saying is that they are less than optimal for sound quality and I think your money is better spent working on some sub bass and a quality front stage first. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

Not all cars have the rears pointing at the glass, kfr01.  So we have to take each situation into account.  I use speakers in the rear deck in my car for three reasons:  mainly, when adjusted just right they "pull" the front soundstage out of my lower doors and up into the air around my head.  They could only muck up the sound if you were able to hear them.  Attenuated properly, you don't (sitting in the front).  Secondly, they provide stereo sound for my daughter and her friends when we're out driving somewhere.  And third, they are there because the car had factory originals there. 

The back deck is angled toward the front, and there is no harshness coming out of those rears.  In fact, sitting in the rear seat, one gets the same effect as sitting in the front:  the sound is pulled by the other set of speakers so that it isn't so easily located.  So, the car itself is a determining factor.  Another factor is the quality and placement of the fronts.  If door locations are used, the rears can be helpful.  But if the fronts by themselves are perfect and no help is needed for imaging, leave out the rears.

I certainly agree that the rears should be a lower cost consideration in relation to the fronts and the sub.  In most cases, coaxials are totally appropriate here even when very fine components are used up front.  And they can certainly make for some good bass while the subwoofer aspect is bought and paid for and worked into the system.  I would buy them as closeouts on the internet, and have no more than about 50 dollars in them for the pair.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Terrandus 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I bought this car used but there is already a set of 2-way pioneer 6x9's in the rear... However, they sound like crap, could this be due to the fact that running off the stock (AC DELCO) cd player?
From what I reading it would seem to me that the next logical step would be to upgrade the stock cd-player and the front speakers. I was looking at the cost of MB-quart componets that'll fit the front speakers (4") and the price seems very doable. I'm worried about installing componet speakers though, I have never done it and the idea of drilling holes into my car for the tweeters seems just a tad scary...
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

I was not aware that some decks don't point straight at the rear glass;  I stand corrected on that point. 

Stevdart, I agree with everything you said.  Your post was very informative.  I actually think you highlighted my point well:  Rear speakers should take a lower priority in the budget than the fronts and sub.  For the best sound they should be carefully integrated into the system and attenuated, not cranked to the max.

Vidgamer 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
Not all 6x9's are the same. (Check the specs -- some will go deeper than others.) If you want to use them as a sub alternative, sure, it's not going to be as good as a dedicated sub, but it only has to be Good Enough for the owner!
I heard one car that had the 6x9's used this way, and the owner was satisfied with the sound, and he was going for quality sound, not boom. It probably didn't hit those deep sonic booms, but for most music, it did the job. The 6x9s were mounted behind the front seats -- there were no back seats, it was a hatchback (2nd gen RX-7).
If I were interested in saving space, I would take a serious look at this approach, but I'd probably do a lot of research to try to find something that would produce deeper tones than average. As it is, I have a modestly priced sub that still wouldn't be up to the standards of most of those here (8" Kicker), but it works and sounds great. No complaints here (except the lack of trunk space, but that's not usually a problem).
For a while, I ran a car without rear speakers. I didn't really miss them, but I do think a little rear fill helps. If I used 6x9's for bass, I might want to filter the sound so that they mostly produce bass, but I don't know.
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
I talk from my own experience, having what I got in my own car. I can't really say what a sub will do or how much different it will sound in my car except giving me loud boom-boom, which will have to be turned down anyway, 'cause I already turn down my rears. I'm simply satisfied with what I have. It'd be nice of course to have a sub if it makes a huge difference, but if the difference is small, then I'd rather save some cash and not spend it on another amp, sub, box, wiring kit, and trunk space and weight, and then not having to cover your whole trunk with dynamat. 6x9's in the back are really good, don't know if getting a sub is worth it, unless you listen to rap, which I don't.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
wasn't this about a 'Basic Car Stereo Setup'?
kfr01 
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

vbel:  Quality subs don't "boom boom."  In many cases a quality sub in a sealed box will be tighter than a 6x9 infinite baffle setup.  I don't listen to any rap.  The difference and quality a subwoofer can add is huge for any type of music.  I primarily listen to contemporary vocals, jazz, and rock.  6x9's are not subwoofer replacements.

Yes, defective, it was about Basic Car Stereo Setup.  I stand by my original statement for a Basic Car Stereo Setup:  6x9 rears should have a lower priority in a small budget than front stage and sub bass.  How is that not basic advice? 

A lot of you have said, 'it just has to be good enough for the owner' or 'my setup is just fine.'  I couldn't agree with you more.  Sometimes a completely factory system is 'good enough.'  But, when someone asks for advice on a budget and requests SQ, I'm not going to say, 'oh, just buy 6x9's.' 

Advice is about the advisor sharing what would be OPTIMAL for the advisee given a request and budget restrictions.  I'm sorry, but you simply aren't going to convince me that having a 6x9 set turned up so it is a 'subwoofer replacement' is anywhere near optimal.  A patch until you get a subwoofer?  Fine, but I wouldn't recommend spending much money on it. 

Again.  Is 6x9 sound 'good enough?'  Not for me.  It might be for you.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic