Alpine HU not working properly?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kevymac 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hi guys,
After 2 and a half weeks of research to buy an Alpine CDA-9833, and 2 days of wiring up my truck, I finally get my deck installed. I turn it on, follow the directions and get the tuner on and the radio works and it sounds great. I put a CD in the deck, and watch it play, but no sound. I tried 3 different CD's that I know work, and they all show the time elapsing as if it's playing, but no sound. I put in an mp3 disc, and the same thing, the time elapses and I can advance songs and watch it play, but still get no sound. Any suggestions? I tried the mute button, but that's obviously not the problem. What do I do? Email Alpine? Email hookedontronics.com where I bought it? I'm pretty upset to say the least.... :(
If you think I can help, ask me... I'll try my best!
powerhx2 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
are all your speakers hooked up to an amp or are your using the internal amp of the unit?
kvt-911dvd
2 Autotek Stealth xs.1500's
2 yellow top
2 MTX 3'' 2 ways
2 6x9 alpine type r's
2 15's poweramper xp^2
alpine mrv-f407 4 channel
150 amp anl fuse
kevymac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, I just used a wiring harness conversion kit so I guess it might be using the amp that's built into the 99 durango w/6 infinity speaker system (only have the stocks in for now while I was installing the head unit). How would the amp be powered on though since I believe the remote power isn't connected to anything.
powerhx2 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
are you using the remote turn on from the alpine or are you using the power antenna?
kvt-911dvd
2 Autotek Stealth xs.1500's
2 yellow top
2 MTX 3'' 2 ways
2 6x9 alpine type r's
2 15's poweramper xp^2
alpine mrv-f407 4 channel
150 amp anl fuse
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
You have indeed wired the wrong blue wire to the factory amp turn on. While both of these wires look the same, one has a white stripe. One wire is the power antenna trigger that gives +12v when the tuner is used, the other is a remote on that gives +12v when either the tuner, cd or aux input is used.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kevymac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Well, now I'm a little confused. As it stands right now, I have purchased a Metra Wiring harness conversion kit for my vehicle. I plugged the factory wiring into the conversion kit, with the exception of 3 wires: power, ground and remote on. Are you saying that the remote on needs to be connected? I have the power connected directly to the battery as recommended and the ground is going to a nice ground source on the chassis (ground block). So then the cd player is not getting sound because of the remote on lead not being connected to anything? What should I connect it to? I thought that the remote on was supposed to go to an amp if you had one (I only have the factory amp, but I would prefer not to use it)
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

If you are using a conversion kit you are probobly using the factory amp (I'm pretty sure the amps in this vehicle are on the back of the speakers themselvers, so if you are using the factory speakers you are using the factory amp). You are supposed to connect the remote turn on lead (not the power antennae lead) coming from the head-unit (your cd player) to the remote turn on lead for the Infinity system.

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

simple answer     

Connect the Blue with a White Strip from the Alpine    -->   plain blue wire in the Metra harness

That WILL fix it....

kevymac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
I will check out my wiring harness and connections to them and see what it looks like in the morning. I'm still confused as to how the radio works and the cd player doesn't work, but maybe I'll be unconfused once I check the wiring out. Thanks for any help! Hopefully that will help. :)
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

The blue with white stripe from the Alpine is an amp turn on. It has power when the radio itself turns on.

The plain blue wire from the Alpine is a power antenna lead, it only has power when your listening to AM/FM.

When you listen to a CD the deck automatically puts down your power antenna.

The problem is, that the plain blue wire from the alpine, is connected to the plain blue wire on the metra harness. When this wire is powered, it turns on the factory amp system. That means when you listen to the CD Player, it doesn't power your antenna(or amp in this case).

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic