icon

what amp to buy?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
They are 200W RMS then, get a mono (1-channel) amp that does somewhere from 300W-400W RMS X 1 @ 2-ohms...Wire ur two Sony subs like this:
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/#2svcp
I would suggest the JBL GTO 301.1 amplifier, can be had on ebay for about $130...It's 300WRMS X 1 @ 2-ohms, which will give each one of ur Sony's 150W rms of clean power, will be enough to make them hit hard...
padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
Look here:
JBL GTO 301.1 on Ebay
You will also need an 8 Guage amp wiring kit, that's all you will need, you can use 4 Guage if u want to have a thicker set of wiring already in place in case u upgrade in the future....But 8 is enough for that amp.
Something like this:
8 Guage Amp Kit
rawrrawrrawr 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
i dont understand this... http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/#2svcp  ... at all... lol? explain wtf that means...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Here is how to wire two 4 ohm subs in a parallel circuit. This wire method will be used if you purchase a mono sub amplifier that is designed to operate at 2 or 1 ohms.

what amp to buy? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Like was recommended above, an amplifier with between 300 - 500 w rms @ 12volts at 2 ohms mono would be a good amplifier. Here are some to consider, there is many more. Look at these two and then you can get an idea of what you might need.

Concept CA525m     www.conceptconcept.com

Lightning Audio B2.350.1      www.lightningaudio.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

You only need to pay attention to the part that talks about SVC subs.  It is just showing wiring options, you dont even have an amp yet so no much to worry about.  Look, do you want a amp to run the subs and just the subs, with no option of running anything but the subs?  Then pick a mono (one channel) subwoofer amp (the alpine, hifonics,xtant on the other page or the JBL on this one) *note: while i am aware of ebay and the great deals that can be had, i also hear the more-then-occasional heartbreak of someone who does not get what they expected*.  Or do a search with a reputable company like SoundDomain or Crutchfield, you'll spend more with these but you'll likely get better support/return and no surprises.

I still cannot find info on those subs.  "if i had one of those, and 2 800 watt xplods... will it bump?"  Yeah... Maybe... you need to build a good box that is 1. Solid   2.  The right airspace for your subs.  Porting your subs is way cool!  Unless you do it wrong, then you just have a hole with a tube in your box. When it comes to porting: if you dont know what your doing-dont do it.   Your manual should have a few box diagrams (usually a ported one is included), they will be simple, but nothing is wrong with simple.  If you load your car down with enough Plexiglas, neon, and fiberglass to make the bumper drag your still not going to have a good sounding system if your box is not  1 & 2.  Any of the amps on either of these pages will make  your system bump if you have the right box and set up everything correctly.

Go here to learn more http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/index.html  or look to the left and read the menu.

padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Explain what it means, what the hell, it's a URL, go there and see for yourself what it is....damm gotta spoonfeed everybody on the web nowadays, here u go: Click Here to see how wire your two 4-ohm single voice coil subs in parallel to get a final 2-ohm load!
And I can vouch for the ebay link i suggested with the JBL amp, i have bought from them many times, everything is new and u get it fast, no problems there...only thing beter about buying from a shop or high priced website is if they offer a good warranty, otherwise save a few bucks and buy it off of ebay...
rawrrawrrawr 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
i am gunna buy the enclosures... i dont want to try and make them... but im on a budget... =/  should i just buy 2 cheap boxes at walmart? i can get 2 for 50 bucks...
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

/agree with padawan. 

I'm sure you understood SOME of what was on that page.  It was written in english, right?  Help us help you.  If you're going to ask for help, read the links sent by other members and try to figure them out.  Then ask specific questions about what you don't understand or, if you don't know what questions to ask, post the extent of your understanding and we can help you flesh it out.  Doing things this way is much more productive for everybody.  Who knows, you might actually learn something. 

I'm sorry if this post sounded flippant or rude, but one of my pet peeves is when people take the time out of their day to help by digging up a link or two and the new member doesn't even try to do some research on his own. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
rawrrawrrawr 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
i did dude... just didnt understand wich one i was suposed to look at... there was a list of like 10... but i understand it now... now answer my Q...
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

Here:  http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Once you're done reading that go to walmart and see if:

1)  The boxes are the correct size for your subwoofers and
2)  The boxes are generally of a build quality that article recommends

If they are, buy them.  If they aren't, don't.

A larger selection of subwoofer boxes can be found here:

http://www.sounddomain.com/

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic