icon

Ground Q/A sticky

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davidwh2 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
hey i posted this as a ground question, because thats what a couple ppl told me could be wrong, so thats why its in this section. -dwh2-
-dwh2-
thepyrofish 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
davidwh2: try checking the speaker wires coming out of the amp, that they aren't touching each other, or grounded out.
Muffinman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE

BTW, I am an electrician. The ground and negative on a 110~130V house lead to the same place. It is just because of the Electrical Code that these two wires are kept separate until they reach the breaker/fuse box.
[/QUOTE]

I hate to tell you but a house has a nuetral not a Negative wire. the Nuetral is a return path for AC current which carries a low voltage return to the panel. If the circuit is shorted it will carry the full current back to the breaker and tripp it. The ground wire can be on the same nuetral bar but to have a isolated circuit it must be bonded and seperate from the nuetral. The first means of service has to be bonded. The code requires this to keep from burning your house down or killing somone.

bbusbee 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

Triple Amp Grounding?

I am about to add a third amp to my system but I can't locate it close to the other two.  Is it alright to ground the amp using 2 to 3 feet of grounding cable so that I can connect it to the same grounding point as the other two amps? 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, give it a try.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

I'm in the high pitch alternator whine boat as well.

Pioneer Deh-p4600

Planet Audio 400x4

Roadmaster 6x9 (2); 5 1/4(2) 1' Dome Tweeters(2)

Now, I know that's cheap stuff, but I did it to prove a point, that it ain't gotta be expensive to sound good. I use to have a Pioneer deh-1500 for an HU. I also had A Boss Riot series 850 watt monoblock amp pushin two Pyramid Power Pro 12" subs. I currently do not have that amp, or those subs in my truck. Ever since I installed my new HU, I have had a whine issue that is horrendous. I didn't change the way any wires were run, with the exception of running the 2nd pair of rca lines to the Planet. All grounds die at same point, so what's the deal??

furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
jazzcustom131, did you run your rca's & power wires seperate or together? Also have you tried another set of rca's? It is possible that the set you have is bad.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Does it matter grounding you amps on the same point verse different spots close together. Is the same point just convenience or does this prevent ground noise?
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
hey, i have a 1985 lincoln town car i have 2 12'' memphis subs and a 800w kenwood amp. i bought another car a while back and took the system from the linc to the new car (a 90' crown vic) the car has since sh*t the bed so i have the system back in the linc. my problem is a wicked, sounds to alternator whine. mind you i no problems in the lincoln before i took the system out. i hooked everything back up in the lincoln identical to the way it was before i took it out. Btw i have looked at noice filters do u suggest those?
If u have ne suggestions please fill me in id appreciate it! thanks
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

No do not use the noise filters as they do not solve the problem. Have a closer look at the rca cables and make sure they are not pinched, grounding out or straining on the input terminals of the amp or output terminals on the cd player. Is this sound coming from the sub? or from other speakers. Not quite enough info to go on here dude, something is missing.

Thack79 - try to ground your amplifiers all in the same spot if possible. If not then multiple spots may be necessary and sometimes if the ground plane is good enough there will be no noise. There are a lot of factors that determine noise, not just one.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 24

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic